Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 02:22 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,688,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Well, GldnRule, we've danced around this subject before so it isn't really my desire to dance that waltz again.

However, my response to your post regarding the title of "hero" or "friend" I suppose needs to be reiterated here (you did bring up my name, after all, and now I have to respond, curse you! )

The problem you create with your "mushy" use of the word "God" is that, without some kind of a general standard regarding what the word means, the word itself becomes useless and communication breaks down. The fact that you're even having this discussion yet again with someone else should alert you to the fact that communication HAS broken down --- and will continue to erode every time you try to claim a definition of the word "God" that falls far afield of how most people use the word.

Anyone is free to call anything by any word or label that person chooses. I can identify a "dog" as a "pet," for instance, but that does not tell the listener/reader whether that "pet" is a dog, cat, iguana, tiger, a very sexual lover, or someone who is always trying to kiss your derriere. Thus, with a descriptor so broad that it could mean human, animal, or even inanimate object, it's impossible for you and anyone else to be on the same page.

Even if you explain to others what you perceive as "God," the confusion will persist because your definition is too broad and encompasses too many possibilities for any understanding to take place.

This makes it extremely difficult to have a sustained conversation on the topic of "God" since, as you know, the vast majority of posters here -- often including myself -- use "God" in reference specifically to a deity and NOT to just anything worshiped, venerated, revered, or prayed to by a particular individual. In fact, given that this is an English-speaking forum, most references to "God" are indicating the very specific and narrowly-defined Christian God of the Bible.

Naturally, you are free to describe anything you want as being "God" and my point of contention doesn't revolve around how you use the word. I'm only warning you, perhaps far too late, that unorthodox usage of the word is almost certainly going to cause confusion -- and for the topic to be bogged down (as it has) into debating semantics.
Gee...I feel so very disenfranchised. LOL!
What is the problem with accepting my perception? I really do have it...and it IS known to be reasonable definitively.
And what's with this jump to an ad populum "most people" argument I see you all are trotting out? You know their pickings are getting real slim when the "Facts & Reason" crew must resort to something as tainted as Logical Fallacy!
Plus, it isn't like I'm the only one in these here parts to hold a general "God Is All" view. Mystic does, and Victorianpunk endorses it and argues it fervently as well. No two views will be exactly alike...but the base concept is certainly not exclusive to me here.
It's obvious what the deal is. Many here are firmly entrenched in a Fundie "No God" ideology. Any acknowledgment of "God" whatsoever outside of Religious Deities means they have to deal with God actually objectively existing.
And...here it comes!...that would cause them to be overcome by their Godophobia affliction!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 04:25 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,662,044 times
logical fallacy is used by people that do not know what they are doing. When starting off with "real" axioms it never comes up. The base facts are true enough, the links are valid, and there is little or no need for subjective. Unless of course we feel we are special, then our opinions, dispite what we don't know, are all important..

Old 12-12-2015, 06:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,270,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Oh right ... because believers never EVER mention their faith.

The hypocrisy in this thread is getting thick enough to create a runaway greenhouse effect.
Funny how I have never had an atheist knock on my door to tell me about atheism, but we have various christians do it every few months.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,308,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Funny how I have never had an atheist knock on my door to tell me about atheism, but we have various christians do it every few months.
And the next Animist who knocks on my door and tells me rocks have feelings too will be the first.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:36 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,270,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And the next Animist who knocks on my door and tells me rocks have feelings too will be the first.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:48 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,733,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Probability and faith factors come into play. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.
Let's see the math. I'm curious how you calculate the odds based on your knowledge of the psychology of magical beings.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:58 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,733,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The difference, of course, is that we are motivated out of a positive belief about God -- that God is good, and that he wants us to evangelize. Atheists claim to not have belief...but we see them acting out and intentionally seeking to proselytize and tell others about their lack of belief.

Again...I don't believe in Santa Claus, but you don't see me putting up billboards outside of the Toys R Us store to make sure all the kids learn of my disbelief. I have better things to do with my life than to waste my energy tearing down others simply for the sake of destroying their faith. How small must one's life be to go and set up a stupid display in a capital building to whine about religion? Just get a life already people!

No--atheists do not simply want to be left alone.
Perhaps they think the best way to be left alone in the long run is to try and reduce the social influence of religion. In the short term, that requires certain actions to get to that goal, such as removing government endorsement of religion and letting businesses know that pandering to Christians isn't their only viable advertising strategy.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:31 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,662,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Perhaps they think the best way to be left alone in the long run is to try and reduce the social influence of religion. In the short term, that requires certain actions to get to that goal, such as removing government endorsement of religion and letting businesses know that pandering to Christians isn't their only viable advertising strategy.
Thats is exactly where I stand NC. Believe what "you" want, but don't make my laws based on it. In the same vain, if a person believes "godsayit" doesn't remove it as a valid law. They just have to reword it. if they can't, it should give them a clue on how valid the rule may be.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:48 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,580,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The difference, of course, is that we are motivated out of a positive belief about God -- that God is good, and that he wants us to evangelize. Atheists claim to not have belief...but we see them acting out and intentionally seeking to proselytize and tell others about their lack of belief.

Again...I don't believe in Santa Claus, but you don't see me putting up billboards outside of the Toys R Us store to make sure all the kids learn of my disbelief. I have better things to do with my life than to waste my energy tearing down others simply for the sake of destroying their faith. How small must one's life be to go and set up a stupid display in a capital building to whine about religion? Just get a life already people!

No--atheists do not simply want to be left alone.

Ho empty must your life be if all you have to do is worry about the beliefs of others while failing to live up to your own beliefs.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:08 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,356,585 times
The billboard in question said nothing about not believing in a god or don't believe in Christianity. It's message is primarily that don't go to church if you do not choose too and if you don't want to go that does not make you a bad or evil person. For those who are saying that this billboard is anti Christian they must imply that if you do not go to church for Chirstmas you are a wicked and evil person.

However the billboard that claims that if you are an atheist then you are a traitor to your country is considered a helpful comment by those same Christians. And we know how traitors are treated, long prison sentences and death during time of war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality