Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,798,478 times

Advertisements

I thank you for this, at least Littlewits, you had no relevant, reasonable or even witty response to make to my post. That's not a glowing endorsement, but it'll do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,617,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Not referred to in your post - you expect me to be some kind of mind - reader?
1)//www.city-data.com/forum/20142914-post214.html

2)//www.city-data.com/forum/20155748-post215.html

3) yours after those: //www.city-data.com/forum/20265417-post248.html ("Christian love bomber")

My response to your post (3) was because I thought you had read the previous postings and you were referencing the Oslo bomber.

So, your question here makes no sense. I believe my post are clear enough in referencing Revelations 2:5. Besides, I have another agenda here and you're not it.
Quote:
“So the real Church, the real candlestick, it was these people that did follow the true gospel and the Word of Christ, they were cast out. So that’s what Jesus meant here when He said, ‘I will come unto you quickly and will remove your candlestick out of its place.’ Jesus took it away. The Church, Work, Truth & Government of God--In the Words of Herbert W. Armstrong
The Oslo bomber and Timothy McVeigh, their light does not shine for Christ. Both professed to be something that their actions prove them not to be. I saw it right off with the Oslo bomber and knew there had to be something more to his reasons than the media was telling. The article I found tells of another group that is more than happy to take the credit for what the shooter did.

I had a friend whose brother-in-law was killed. Men came in to where they worked (in the ME) and asked the receptionist (her sister would have been the receptionist, but that she just quit the job, two weeks prior) Where are all the Christians here? They made their way through the offices walked up to the person, asked are you a Christian; if the person said yes, they were shot in the head. That was the story she told me. After she left my home, I found the reported incident on an independent news web source. Nine people (Christians) were drug by automobiles till their flesh had been ripped off their skin, then they were shot, not once but multiple times till dead. (Prime time media did not cover this story and I had to dig to verify it, 2004) I did not tell my friend what I had found on the story, because the authorities did not wish the family members to believe their loved ones had suffered a gruesome death.

That would make anyone say they are not a Christian, don't you think? So why would anyone say yes to that question with a gun pointed to their head? That is not logical. The logical thing to do, is save yourself and say no, even if you are, right?

There are those who hold political office, they help run the governments, they say they are Christian, yet their actions tell otherwise. Again, reference Revelation 2.5 It's a BIG picture, few will see.

Quote:
"Biased beyond reason? Is another way of saying, one who thinks with an open mind and who thinks outside the box, visionary." It is, indeed. It is another and a wrong way of saying it.

Being visionary and thinking outside the box is fine. Keeping an open mind about whether the ideas or suppositions produced are valid is not the same as proclaiming that they are true or correct or valid before there has been any validation. That is closed - minded bias and that is what the faith - based believers do,
Many people find the four walls of a box most comforting. Inside the box, one only has to have the knowledge that is there, within. To free one's mind to go beyond the boarders, they face the ridicule from those within the box. People have loved ones inside that box and if they chose to go beyond, they may have to choose, to leave their loved ones behind. All of that takes much courage.

Quote:
What is worse is that when the validation is made and tends to undermine the ideas and suppositions, it is dismissed as 'science has been wrong before', 'you just don't want to believe it' and of course. 'Well, I have faith' (1).

That is not being open - minded. it is closed minded, biased Faith - based dogmatism.

You'd think that was clear enough to understand and easy enough to accept, but it is one of the hardest things to get the believers to comprehend. I remain ever hopeful. Please do make my day by telling me that you understand this simple, clear and bloody obvious piece of logical reasoning.
I can understand this yes. However, in the understanding of just this, then I limit myself to just this. I do not accept that this is it and there is nothing more to life, than just this. I do not and will not place those limits on myself as I am a free spirit. Not everything in life happens through logic and reasoning. There is that huge question no one knows the answer to. Why? Why is the variable, the variable is the unknown, that is used in many mathematical equations, because science does not know what the variable is, but just that it exists. In order for the math equation to sum, they must solve using a variable. Otherwise, science hits the wall. (now we're back in the box)

Quote:
As for smug smiles, well perhaps we both wear them. It is simply a case of demonstrating who's confidence is best supported by the data.
That's a nice way of putting it. I'll go that.

Quote:
(1) to save your time and my blood pressure, don't pull the 'you have Faith too - you have faith that your car will start' rubbish. Well of course I do because there is repeated evidence that it will and understanding of how and why and also the realization that it might go wrong and not start. This is knowledge, not Faith.
Have you ever gone out to your car to start it and just for a brief second, you knew it wouldn't start? Then you turn the key and it didn't. What is that, when that happens? Perhaps it wasn't the car, but something else that happened that went beyond all reasoning, but it happened just the same. Perhaps you thought the phone was going to ring before it rang. Or the knock at the door.

I had a dream I was being smothered by a pillow. I was struggling to get the pillow off of me, but someone was putting pressure on it. I couldn't breath. I woke up, thought strange dream and began my day...later I get the phone call and they live over 1,000 miles away from me.

At the same time I was dreaming, my sixth month old grandson died of SIDS. I finally felt the courage (years later) to mention this to my daughter and I said the dream was at 10:10 a.m. I told her I keep going back to that time 10:10 as if it means something. She told me, there was no way I could have known, because no one told me, he died at 10:10, that morning.

It is illogical and beyond reasoning for me to tie the two together, my dream to my grandson's death. However, I'm just different that way. To have that feeling, that knowing, to reach beyond the four corners of the box, helps me to see, what many others will spend their lifetime, denying even exists. And I'm okay with that. People were meant to see things, differently. It does not make one smarter than the other, what it makes us, is whole.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:56 PM

5,607 posts, read 6,536,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangie View Post
I've recently had someone from my distant past contact me at a time when I was praying for a sign from God to help me make a decision. I took this contact as the sign I was seeking, but many people have said I'm being naive and silly when I've talked about looking for signs, fate, etc. and that one has to control their own life.

It's probably that the people I've spoken to do not have God in their lives or they are not thinking about it that way. But I think God doesn't just lay it all out for us. We have to be aware and looking for the signs so we know what to do.

What do you all think?
I don't believe in coincidence! Of course God gives us signs when we pray and ask him for whatever we need in our lives. I see Him all the time, especially now since I am going through a great tribulation that has no known end right now, He shows me he is with me always. Don't let Satan disguised as "man" tell you otherwise.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:02 PM

223 posts, read 268,717 times
There are no signs, there is no God. Perhaps refer to the "i see dead people" threads we've had here and on the atheism forum from time to time. It's your brain playing tricks on you. And you "opening your mind" to these signs is your mind prepared and WANTING to be tricked. No surprise that the people reporting seeing things are highly religious and therefore easily duped into believing a cat fart is a message from God.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,402,216 times
Definitely yes. On June 17th of last year I was making breakfast and although I didn't think anything about it at the time, when I went to butter the marbled rye toast that had just popped up, I saw an image of the Virgin Mary riding a winged horse, and it seemed that they were ascending to the heavens. To make things stranger, it appeared there was another image behind her. I assumed it would be Jesus, but on closer inspection it looked more like John Cleese holding an umbrella. I should have taken a picture but I was hungry and ended up eating it.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,648,293 times
It's prophesied the final deception comes due to "lying signs and wonders." All signs point to some type of Alien "disclosure" to deceive the masses they are our progenitors/creators. Whenever the "initiation" occurs into the new age with "Mother Earth", the Body of Christ will be gone either by rapture or death resulting in what looks to be a demonic manifestation on planet earth.

The biblical account stresses living in faith. It says God is going to give people over to a great lie because they did not love the truth that they could be saved through his messiah Jesus. It says these will come with "all signs and lying wonders." 2 thessalonians 2 KJV; Revelation 13 KJV

It also states the "Fallen Angels"/Nephal/fallen ones will be physically on the earth. Maybe the "alien" phenomenon people are all geared up for isn't going to be what is expected. Maybe they'll be used as God's judgment on a rejecting world and to fulfill prophecy as the scriptures suggest?

Groups are talking about an "evolution" with "Mother earth" to their higher "consciousness" so you can be like our false progenitors. They come saying peace and safety but it will be a false peace. 1 Thessalonians 5:3KJV. They'll fool the world into thinking they are our creators. It's all a lie. They didn't love the truth in Jesus the Christ repenting and trusting in him.

Last edited by Mikelee81; 08-03-2011 at 08:26 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
1)//www.city-data.com/forum/20142914-post214.html

2)//www.city-data.com/forum/20155748-post215.html

3) yours after those: //www.city-data.com/forum/20265417-post248.html ("Christian love bomber")

My response to your post (3) was because I thought you had read the previous postings and you were referencing the Oslo bomber.

So, your question here makes no sense. I believe my post are clear enough in referencing Revelations 2:5. Besides, I have another agenda here and you're not it.
The Oslo bomber and Timothy McVeigh, their light does not shine for Christ. Both professed to be something that their actions prove them not to be. I saw it right off with the Oslo bomber and knew there had to be something more to his reasons than the media was telling. The article I found tells of another group that is more than happy to take the credit for what the shooter did.

I had a friend whose brother-in-law was killed. Men came in to where they worked (in the ME) and asked the receptionist (her sister would have been the receptionist, but that she just quit the job, two weeks prior) Where are all the Christians here? They made their way through the offices walked up to the person, asked are you a Christian; if the person said yes, they were shot in the head. That was the story she told me. After she left my home, I found the reported incident on an independent news web source. Nine people (Christians) were drug by automobiles till their flesh had been ripped off their skin, then they were shot, not once but multiple times till dead. (Prime time media did not cover this story and I had to dig to verify it, 2004) I did not tell my friend what I had found on the story, because the authorities did not wish the family members to believe their loved ones had suffered a gruesome death.

That would make anyone say they are not a Christian, don't you think? So why would anyone say yes to that question with a gun pointed to their head? That is not logical. The logical thing to do, is save yourself and say no, even if you are, right?

There are those who hold political office, they help run the governments, they say they are Christian, yet their actions tell otherwise. Again, reference Revelation 2.5 It's a BIG picture, few will see.

Many people find the four walls of a box most comforting. Inside the box, one only has to have the knowledge that is there, within. To free one's mind to go beyond the boarders, they face the ridicule from those within the box. People have loved ones inside that box and if they chose to go beyond, they may have to choose, to leave their loved ones behind. All of that takes much courage.

I can understand this yes. However, in the understanding of just this, then I limit myself to just this. I do not accept that this is it and there is nothing more to life, than just this. I do not and will not place those limits on myself as I am a free spirit. Not everything in life happens through logic and reasoning. There is that huge question no one knows the answer to. Why? Why is the variable, the variable is the unknown, that is used in many mathematical equations, because science does not know what the variable is, but just that it exists. In order for the math equation to sum, they must solve using a variable. Otherwise, science hits the wall. (now we're back in the box)

That's a nice way of putting it. I'll go that.

Have you ever gone out to your car to start it and just for a brief second, you knew it wouldn't start? Then you turn the key and it didn't. What is that, when that happens? Perhaps it wasn't the car, but something else that happened that went beyond all reasoning, but it happened just the same. Perhaps you thought the phone was going to ring before it rang. Or the knock at the door.

I had a dream I was being smothered by a pillow. I was struggling to get the pillow off of me, but someone was putting pressure on it. I couldn't breath. I woke up, thought strange dream and began my day...later I get the phone call and they live over 1,000 miles away from me.

At the same time I was dreaming, my sixth month old grandson died of SIDS. I finally felt the courage (years later) to mention this to my daughter and I said the dream was at 10:10 a.m. I told her I keep going back to that time 10:10 as if it means something. She told me, there was no way I could have known, because no one told me, he died at 10:10, that morning.

It is illogical and beyond reasoning for me to tie the two together, my dream to my grandson's death. However, I'm just different that way. To have that feeling, that knowing, to reach beyond the four corners of the box, helps me to see, what many others will spend their lifetime, denying even exists. And I'm okay with that. People were meant to see things, differently. It does not make one smarter than the other, what it makes us, is whole.
Ok, sorry if I misread you. Hey hang on. Didn't I see that shooting story in another context and it was shown to be untrue? (I suppose you wouldn't care to give a source where we can check this up?) In any case what does it prove about whether Christianity is true or not? In the debate let's put aside the the attempt to get sympathy, whether true or fake. The 'Not Real Christian' ploy was something I could see coming and I don't claim to be a prophet. and you can save Bible quotes. I have done a six - post demolition job on the New testament.

I don't know whether you are praising beyond the box or advocating staying within. In fact one can do both. The analogy has rather broken down. Inside the box or outside or both, one still has to be rational about what information they choose to accept. To just accept what you you like uncritically and reject what you don't no matter how well validated is no sensible way to live.

You are talking odd happenings and unexplained happenings, but the fact is that there could be many explanations and thus, when you say you 'see, what many others will spend their lifetime, denying even exists' you are making the classic error. The 'others' don't deny what might exist. They just don't opt for one explanation and deny all the others when they don't actually know.

Those who say that they know what it is, that the one explanation they favour is the right one and all others are rejected as impossible - that's closed mindedness and gullibility combined. It may make one feel comfortable and it may make them feel they have answers to the questions, but it it not sound thinking and it is not going to impress for a moment those who prefer sound thinking.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:35 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,617,168 times
Quote:
Ok, sorry if I misread you. Hey hang on. Didn't I see that shooting story in another context and it was shown to be untrue? (I suppose you wouldn't care to give a source where we can check this up?) In any case what does it prove about whether Christianity is true or not? In the debate let's put aside the the attempt to get sympathy, whether true or fake. The 'Not Real Christian' ploy was something I could see coming and I don't claim to be a prophet. and you can save Bible quotes. I have done a six - post demolition job on the New testament.

I don't know whether you are praising beyond the box or advocating staying within. In fact one can do both. The analogy has rather broken down. Inside the box or outside or both, one still has to be rational about what information they choose to accept. To just accept what you you like uncritically and reject what you don't no matter how well validated is no sensible way to live.

You are talking odd happenings and unexplained happenings, but the fact is that there could be many explanations and thus, when you say you 'see, what many others will spend their lifetime, denying even exists' you are making the classic error. The 'others' don't deny what might exist. They just don't opt for one explanation and deny all the others when they don't actually know.

Those who say that they know what it is, that the one explanation they favour is the right one and all others are rejected as impossible - that's closed mindedness and gullibility combined. It may make one feel comfortable and it may make them feel they have answers to the questions, but it it not sound thinking and it is not going to impress for a moment those who prefer sound thinking.
Now that you and I are on the same page, when I read the posters article, I had before that, heard about the incident on the radio news. (I drive between accounts for work and listen to talk, rather than music) So, I read the posters article and my first thought was the profile given of the shooter, does not add up to what most, some, I already know about the Christian. Then I went looking for additional news. In most of what I read they began their articles with, 'his lawyer is presenting the case as the man is not responsible for his actions'. So questions from that, how can he do that, how can the man say he isn't responsible? That does not make sense, when he clearly is responsible. There is that visual impact.

When I found the article that I posted, then the plot on the story thickens just a bit. I read or heard some where that the man suspected as being responsible, also has ties to the Islamic community. My first thought, just me mind you, is he was brainwashed or the better word PSYOP. The reason being is his actions does not match the physiological behavior of a true Christian.

You live in London, do they televise the TV show, "Criminal Minds", asking to know if you are familiar with criminal psychological profiling? I find the study of criminal behavior most fascinating and read much on the subject.

You may be familiar with the New Testament. However, I was led to that passage, because God wished for me to understand, not because we are in a debate.

To answer your question, the news media is going to swing the story politically, just as they always do. I believe only two ways to prove my point, one, the study of criminal behavior where one set of people display this activity (sets and subsets) and another set display a different set of activities. Or, an independent news source where they haven't a political agenda. Oh, a third way that is impossible for me to do and that would be to tap into official records. I leave that up to folks like Wikileaks.

As for a response to the rest of your post, what comes to mind is, I can not unring a bell. All of the sciences, show to me God's plan. I can't take back out of my mind what I know to be true. Even if someone put a gun to my head, I'd have to tell them the truth. So much for sound thinking on my part. What you are asking of me to do is to do a take back on all of my life's experiences that has led me to the most profound moments of my life and the knowing that all was and is, relevant to God. I can not, unring that bell.

God proved Himself to me and I can not un-prove it.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 PM

1,220 posts, read 989,046 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
I thank you for this, at least Littlewits, you had no relevant, reasonable or even witty response to make to my post. That's not a glowing endorsement, but it'll do.
...you're in, you're out, you're in, you're out. Everything is relevant !@(^ *****. And that's not a glowing endorsement...it's the truth.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
...you're in, you're out, you're in, you're out. Everything is relevant !@(^ *****. And that's not a glowing endorsement...it's the truth.
It that's what you call 'the Truth, I'm glad you spelled it with a capital 'T'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality