Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 11:23 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
We are so far away from the Sahara in SA and in different hemispheres. What happens in the NH does not hold true for the SH. Africa is BIG continent.

I have been in a few countries in Africa and most were tropical to sub tropical. In SA we have everything from tropical to desert.

In SA, in summer, we have no cool air affecting our weather too much as the Antarctic influence is offset by the tilt of the earth, there is no land mass between SA and the Antarctic. There are no snow capped mountains in summer. The only other place in Africa that has snow is Kilimanjaro an extinct volcano in Central Africa. Our snow melts quickly and is mostly in the mountainous regions towards the south. We have 96% sunny days in winter here.

The stupidity of taking weather phenomena as a sign from god is well just stupid. Science has a pretty good handle on what causes weather and a simple google will reveal it dumbed down to the lowest level.

Err the bolded are nothing to do with weather, wrong science. They are all tied to tectonics.

Nope, dust storms vary, not all like what you saw in Lawrence of Arabia. In Ghana where I witnessed the result of a dust storm from the Sahara, it was up to a very high altitude and ess dried out the moisture from the air. My host was coughing and wheezing as he is used to a 97% humidity and I a much lower humidity. It was the one day I was comfortable in my own skin. These dust storms are anyway seasonal too.

No lightning, Zeus must have been asleep that day.

If you look at some pics of the globe and how sea currents are affected by the rotation of the earth, likewise cloud formations, what you experience on the ground is as a result of this and possibly what we do as man to the atmosphere.
When someone tries to present something as to good to be true. More times than not, it isn't. Just saying. (Also, one of your locals was trying to hitch a ride through me to the states awhile back, I know why I said no)

The part about the dust storms that I mentioned I found that information in a science journal. I could not cite it, because it is on a subscriber site. Atmospheric Electrification during South African Dust Storms : Abstract : Nature

See there though in the title, "South African Dust Storms". Also it is because of those dust storms the conditions are not conducive to produce hurricanes. However, the dust storms do produce an electrification. (again, that's in the title) I'm not convinced that Zeus is on vacation.

Now, my bad for not realizing that the Sahara Desert is located Northwest and that the article I was looking at had nothing to do with the Sahara. However, the more I google the more articles that come in that say virtually what you are saying about the weather conditions but they all attribute the lack of cyclones to, the dust storms SA produces. But trust I'll take the United States weather, over this Michigan Engineering LabLog: Chasing dust storms and measuring their electrical charges any day of the week. And no, I don't live in Arizona, for much the same reason.

Basically the earth is aging. (I Am the Alpha and the Omega) He, started this, He will end it and when that time comes, it won't matter what continent human life is on, the earth imho will go out like most believe it began, with a bang. Is that a sign from God? To each his own, if they wish to believe or not. We will one day make like dinosaurs and cease to exist.

Oh and by the way, it is good that you are not bothered by this: Food shortage, displacements, water and health gaps after a volcano erupted in Eritrea’s Nabro region (seriously, I'm not being sarcastic here)

"The Nabro volcano has not erupted in recorded human history, but lava flows near the volcano are relatively recent geologically. Nabro is part of the very active East African Rift, where three tectonic plates are pulling away from each other. As the Earth’s crust thins in the region, volcanoes rise in weak spots." Lava flows at Nabro volcano, Eritrea

"In recorded human history", could be a sign...

"We must believe before we can see", anonymous.

~ bell ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 01:35 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
The part about the dust storms that I mentioned I found that information in a science journal. I could not cite it, because it is on a subscriber site. Atmospheric Electrification during South African Dust Storms : Abstract : Nature

See there though in the title, "South African Dust Storms". Also it is because of those dust storms the conditions are not conducive to produce hurricanes. However, the dust storms do produce an electrification. (again, that's in the title) I'm not convinced that Zeus is on vacation.
So dust storms produce electrostatic electricity resulting in lightning, TY for science showing us how lightning can be formed, still no a sign from the gods. Our summer storms are very much spiced with lightning and hail where I live at 5000' above sea level, and storms at the coast not so much.
Quote:
Now, my bad for not realizing that the Sahara Desert is located Northwest and that the article I was looking at had nothing to do with the Sahara.
Two different hemispheres? I mean how big do you think Africa really is? It is the 2nd largest continent and is the part that every otyher continent moved/is moving away from.
Quote:
However, the more I google the more articles that come in that say virtually what you are saying about the weather conditions but they all attribute the lack of cyclones to, the dust storms SA produces. But trust I'll take the United States weather, over this Michigan Engineering LabLog: Chasing dust storms and measuring their electrical charges any day of the week. And no, I don't live in Arizona, for much the same reason.
Or summer rainfall comes mostly from the north west ingress of moisture from the Atlantic ocean that passes over a relatively dry Botswana. Again due to the rotation of the earth. In the winter the rain we sometimes get is as a result of South East cold fronts from the Antarctic passing in an almost 90 deg difference to the summer rains and the movement again due to the rotation of the earth. The Indian ocean is warm to our east and the Atlantic 10-15 deg C colder to our west. The hot and cold ocean currents affect the weather too.
Quote:
Basically the earth is aging. (I Am the Alpha and the Omega) He, started this, He will end it and when that time comes, it won't matter what continent human life is on, the earth imho will go out like most believe it began, with a bang. Is that a sign from God? To each his own, if they wish to believe or not. We will one day make like dinosaurs and cease to exist.
In your fantasy, but it really is odd how your ilk fanatically state tyhe weather patterns changes are a judgement from god b/c of the gays, the abortions, {insert excuse here} when in fact weather is changing due to changes in the planets ice caps.
Quote:
Oh and by the way, it is good that you are not bothered by this: Food shortage, displacements, water and health gaps after a volcano erupted in Eritrea’s Nabro region (seriously, I'm not being sarcastic here)
Volcanoes have nothing to do with weather. Are we to assume the movement of the tectonic plates is still a sign the gods are angry? I mean really, this superstition has been dismissed thoroughly for some time now.
Quote:

"The Nabro volcano has not erupted in recorded human history, but lava flows near the volcano are relatively recent geologically. Nabro is part of the very active East African Rift, where three tectonic plates are pulling away from each other. As the Earth’s crust thins in the region, volcanoes rise in weak spots." Lava flows at Nabro volcano, Eritrea

"In recorded human history", could be a sign...
I wonder what the east Africa did wrong then? I am not up to speed with their politics. But you prove my point perfectly. It happens due to tectonics and here in SA I guess your god is powerless to smite us all as we have had gay marriage since 1995 and elective abortions available w/o any consequences up to 20 weeks gestation. Just because we are not situated to have very adverse weather or not on any active tectonic formation.
Quote:
"We must believe before we can see", anonymous.

~ bell ~
Actually, you folk need to come and see the wonders of SA and SEE the real history of the planet in plain sight. We have every type of geological feature and at 7:1 exchange rate, it is a cheap holiday in that respect.

Come see how a country exists w/o a god influence in the govt. See all the churches in the towns that have not been closed by the authorities and see that all your fears of what is happening in the US as they catch up to the rest of the world will not be realized just as it was not realized here when our woo woos were crying wolf and end of daze before 1994 independence.

Go look up the stats of SA and compare them to the US wrt abortion, teen pregnancies and divorce and tell me who has the better system/approach running. You lot are top of the pops in the world when it comes to these stats and yet in spite of your "christian" nation notions.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:48 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Young man it is very apparent that you do not understand the full context of the opinion that I just gave, it is very easy for an individual to separate seven words of an opinion, and take them out of context, and try to make an argument out of it, it is my opinion that you do not understand the full context of the opinion that I made, I suggest you go back and reread. I speak from my culture and my culture is not of Christianity, Judaism, or Islam, so unless you understand my culture, then you can speak on the full context of the opinion that I made, if not, then you do not understand, and I would suggest that you educate yourself before trying to make an argument out of just seven words. osay

Are you Bahai?

Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
So dust storms produce electrostatic electricity resulting in lightning, TY for science showing us how lightning can be formed, still no a sign from the gods. Our summer storms are very much spiced with lightning and hail where I live at 5000' above sea level, and storms at the coast not so much.

Two different hemispheres? I mean how big do you think Africa really is? It is the 2nd largest continent and is the part that every otyher continent moved/is moving away from.

Or summer rainfall comes mostly from the north west ingress of moisture from the Atlantic ocean that passes over a relatively dry Botswana. Again due to the rotation of the earth. In the winter the rain we sometimes get is as a result of South East cold fronts from the Antarctic passing in an almost 90 deg difference to the summer rains and the movement again due to the rotation of the earth. The Indian ocean is warm to our east and the Atlantic 10-15 deg C colder to our west. The hot and cold ocean currents affect the weather too.

In your fantasy, but it really is odd how your ilk fanatically state tyhe weather patterns changes are a judgement from god b/c of the gays, the abortions, {insert excuse here} when in fact weather is changing due to changes in the planets ice caps.

Volcanoes have nothing to do with weather. Are we to assume the movement of the tectonic plates is still a sign the gods are angry? I mean really, this superstition has been dismissed thoroughly for some time now.

I wonder what the east Africa did wrong then? I am not up to speed with their politics. But you prove my point perfectly. It happens due to tectonics and here in SA I guess your god is powerless to smite us all as we have had gay marriage since 1995 and elective abortions available w/o any consequences up to 20 weeks gestation. Just because we are not situated to have very adverse weather or not on any active tectonic formation.

Actually, you folk need to come and see the wonders of SA and SEE the real history of the planet in plain sight. We have every type of geological feature and at 7:1 exchange rate, it is a cheap holiday in that respect.

Come see how a country exists w/o a god influence in the govt. See all the churches in the towns that have not been closed by the authorities and see that all your fears of what is happening in the US as they catch up to the rest of the world will not be realized just as it was not realized here when our woo woos were crying wolf and end of daze before 1994 independence.

Go look up the stats of SA and compare them to the US wrt abortion, teen pregnancies and divorce and tell me who has the better system/approach running. You lot are top of the pops in the world when it comes to these stats and yet in spite of your "christian" nation notions.
That's okay. I think I'll stay here in what some call, big satan.

"Role of Drought Early Warning Systems in South Africa's Evolving Drought Policy" http://www.drought.unl.edu/monitor/EWS/ch5_Monnik.pdf (broken link)

Why do you think I don't know how big Africa is? "World Map" http://www.chinatourmap.com/world-ma.../world-map.gif

It is no fantasy that this earth is aging. Every time the earth gets a new wrinkle we know about it in the change in the weather. Some say that people are the cause in the changes in the weather that result in the severe weather disturbances. They say we are raping the earth of her natural resources and we are taking more than we give back.

The circle of life is for all living things, the earth she is alive, she was born, she will be around awhile, and then she will die. We who are here, are only here as long as she is alive.

However, many societies have come and gone since time began. Could be, we will be gone long before the earth stops evolving. I know we are all wasting our time on superficial deeds, while we still have a chance to change how we are one to another.

We know how to put a man on the moon. We know how to study the sciences, (etc.) but we don't know how...to get along with one another, and that's just sad. It is a waste of strength and shows our weakness as human beings.

Perhaps it is because, we don't believe in any thing greater than ourselves, thus our ignorance to ignore---the signs.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:52 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
God stresses living by faith, but good science confirms the biblical account. There are miracles in today's age albeit not free from criticism from nonbelievers. They didn't believe Jesus' signs either. Give them one they want two. Give them two they demand three etc.

"Signs and wonders" will be the primary deceptive stratagem which is prophesied to deceive the whole world except God's elect. When signs and wonders come watch out because it is God turning people over to the lie.

"For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." 2 Thessalonians 2 :7-12 KJV

Light Ministries Prophecy

Old 07-11-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
That's okay. I think I'll stay here in what some call, big satan.

"Role of Drought Early Warning Systems in South Africa's Evolving Drought Policy" http://www.drought.unl.edu/monitor/EWS/ch5_Monnik.pdf (broken link)
Hurrah, you found an article relating to SA. Here's a clue, In Lesotho they built a huge dam to capture the melting snow as a resource feed into the greater Vaal water system that services most of the population of SA. In the last 10 years they did not have to release water in any big way as the rainfall was adequate and the last 5 years the dams have all been overflowing. We have even had to open all sluice gates of our biggest dam to reduce flooding upstream.

Our drought cycles which were predictable in the past have all but gone except in some coastal areas. Dams are still under construction in the highlands that will service all provinces. I guess the rain gods are angry with us then?
Quote:
Why do you think I don't know how big Africa is? "World Map" http://www.chinatourmap.com/world-ma.../world-map.gif
Relating the Sahara with SA is a huge mistake. That is like 9 hours apart by airline.
Quote:
It is no fantasy that this earth is aging. Every time the earth gets a new wrinkle we know about it in the change in the weather. Some say that people are the cause in the changes in the weather that result in the severe weather disturbances. They say we are raping the earth of her natural resources and we are taking more than we give back.
Of course the earth is aging but it is already 4.5Bn yo so a year or two is irrelevant. And yes we are raping with deforestation w/o replenishing trees.
Quote:
The circle of life is for all living things, the earth she is alive, she was born, she will be around awhile, and then she will die. We who are here, are only here as long as she is alive.
Which is probably another billion years or so.
Quote:
However, many societies have come and gone since time began. Could be, we will be gone long before the earth stops evolving. I know we are all wasting our time on superficial deeds, while we still have a chance to change how we are one to another.
Possibly. We cannot hope to sustain life the way we are breeding and using up resources.
Quote:
We know how to put a man on the moon. We know how to study the sciences, (etc.) but we don't know how...to get along with one another, and that's just sad. It is a waste of strength and shows our weakness as human beings.
Agreed, so there are no signs from god in weather when the US is moving towards giving all folks equal rights then?
Quote:
Perhaps it is because, we don't believe in any thing greater than ourselves, thus our ignorance to ignore---the signs.
There are no signs, you just pretend that these now observable, reportable events have something to do with "woo logic" of the end of daze mindset.

People are coming our more and more as gay or non believers or whatever as religion loses its grip on folks. Science and reasoning is winning and we can say thank you to education, real education.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
God stresses living by faith, but good science confirms the biblical account. There are miracles in today's age albeit not free from criticism from nonbelievers. They didn't believe Jesus' signs either. Give them one they want two. Give them two they demand three etc.

"Signs and wonders" will be the primary deceptive stratagem which is prophesied to deceive the whole world except God's elect. When signs and wonders come watch out because it is God turning people over to the lie.

"For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." 2 Thessalonians 2 :7-12 KJV

The only folk looking for signs and wonders are the believers. They take anything on to validate their beliefs while science and logic is defeating their very basic beliefs.

You lot really amaze me in thinking that non believers are somehow going to be fooled by some antichrist of sorts. Please give us a bit more credit than that. We are not as gullible as woos. Furthermore, a one world government is impossible, we know that but the woos think this is the threat to their way of life when in fact the threat is education.

It is getting harder for you lot to perform your mental gymnastics in the face of what science is revealing. You have run out of biblical dates for the second coming and now deviate to a culture totally remote from the xian faith, the Mayans. By inference you lot admit that your holy book is bogus and the "Mayans were right"

But we shall still all be here Jan 2013 laughing at another failed attempt to scare the sheeple.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post

Since there has been a reply to this I'll bite the bullet. I would have left you in peace were it not that you tossed the gauntlet down by having a crack at unbelievers and by twisting science, you saucy beggar, to suit your theist - apologetics purposes. So you asked for it.

Good science (By which I mean science conforming to the scientific method and the logical rules of empirical validation, not the Theist - speak 'science that can be made to look like it supports the Bible') does not support and indeed tends to undermine the God - claims of the Bible and the historicity indeed of all but the broad outline of post exodus history up to te New Testament which is mostly fable.

There are miracles in today's age mainly because there are uncritically gullible believers who will swallow whole the doubtful if not discredited back - from - the - dead stories, faith healings, anecdotes about disappearing cancer and temporary relief from back - pains (which happened to me without a prayer or with Faith - healing being anywhere near) and we can throw the weeping statues, Lourdes and Fatima in as well as having nothing miraculous about them, except at how slow people are to realize when they are being duped.

Jesus 'signs' are neither here nor there, since the Gospels were written by Christians simply to prove that Jesus proved his messiahship, mainly by showing him doing 'signs'.

We can pretty much ignore the prophetic threat stuff. It is wearing pretty thin these days.

And to confirm the On topic, no; God does not send signs, but humans are pretty good at detecting pictures and patterns in random events. It's how fortune tellers and astrologers continue to profitably dupe people and Those who search for a sign unprofitably duping themselves. How many more end of World predictions before they come to their senses?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Are you Bahai?
No, I'm Tsalagi (Jah la kee.)

Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
The only folk looking for signs and wonders are the believers. They take anything on to validate their beliefs while science and logic is defeating their very basic beliefs.

You lot really amaze me in thinking that non believers are somehow going to be fooled by some antichrist of sorts. Please give us a bit more credit than that. We are not as gullible as woos. Furthermore, a one world government is impossible, we know that but the woos think this is the threat to their way of life when in fact the threat is education.

It is getting harder for you lot to perform your mental gymnastics in the face of what science is revealing. You have run out of biblical dates for the second coming and now deviate to a culture totally remote from the xian faith, the Mayans. By inference you lot admit that your holy book is bogus and the "Mayans were right"

But we shall still all be here Jan 2013 laughing at another failed attempt to scare the sheeple.
Science supports the biblical creation account. What takes faith is thinking this is all some random accident. Order to disorder friend. It's called entropy. The second law of thermodynamics. Disorder to order only happens in someone's imagination.

Regarding 2013. We will see. I'm not setting dates. Just trying to make you and others aware of potential dates while showing you the source of that date. I do not believe you know who we're dealing with. I try to provide evidence, but I'm not responsible for "converting" you. we're all accountable for ourselves when that day of judgement occurs. I just have to proclaim the truth. Truth is absolute independent of our opinion. The mercy seat is still available and I do urge you and others to seek it out through Jesus the messiah.

Quote:
By inference you lot admit that your holy book is bogus and the "Mayans were right"
I was attempting to lead you and others to the source of this date, and how it looks to have significance. We will find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality