Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,555,785 times

Advertisements

Was NOVA. A PBS presentation. Had to do with Human evolution. Talked about how it was c. 200,000 BC (now the YEC folk are sturred up-cuz the world dates in their opinion from 4004 BC-OK let's ignore Jerico founded 9000BC) But I digress...

So the PBS guy is talking about how there were three or four Homo-genes species running around in 200K BC. One of which was Homo sapiens-us. By 20,000 BC we're the only species left standing.

What really struck me was that the narrator said two things:

1. Homo sapiens "just appeared" and the fossil and DNA record indicated there we were only a band of 600 of us back in the day. Just 600. Food for thought. That's what science says. We are all decendents of that small group. According to the latest evolutionary science. I'm good with that.

2. Our genetic diversity is way less than any other species on Earth. So says the science boys. I'm good with that.

"Us" just apeared. We were a population of 600 breeding folk in 200KBC and here we are today. This theory was offered without comment by the PBS narrator.

Thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 07:39 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,937 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Was NOVA. A PBS presentation. Had to do with Human evolution. Talked about how it was c. 200,000 BC (now the YEC folk are sturred up-cuz the world dates in their opinion from 4004 BC-OK let's ignore Jerico founded 9000BC) But I digress...

So the PBS guy is talking about how there were three or four Homo-genes species running around in 200K BC. One of which was Homo sapiens-us. By 20,000 BC we're the only species left standing.

1. Homo sapiens "just appeared" and the fossil and DNA record indicated there we were only a band of 600 of us back in the day. Just 600. Food for thought. That's what science says. We are all decendents of that small group. According to the latest evolutionary science. I'm good with that.

2. Our genetic diversity is way less than any other species on Earth. So says the science boys. I'm good with that.

"Us" just apeared. We were a population of 600 breeding folk in 200KBC and here we are today. This theory was offered without comment by the PBS narrator.

Thoughts
Shalom...either it's "willful ignorance" or a cup of coffee really does have a higher IQ.
The fact that the narrator was "good with that" indicates that he probably got a healthy pay-check for telling lies.
"It's all good" right?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Shalom...either it's "willful ignorance" or a cup of coffee really does have a higher IQ.
The fact that the narrator was "good with that" indicates that he probably got a healthy pay-check for telling lies.
"It's all good" right?
What?...That we are not a unique creation according to science? I'm good with that.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:48 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,937 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
What?...That we are not a unique creation according to science? I'm good with that.
Not "what?"..."who?"...and no you're not "good"...but you are for certain "with that". The fact that man is created in G-d's own image does indeed make us unique in all of G-d's creation...
"O LORD, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!"
Psalm 8 KJV
The Blessings of The Eternal One find you in a unique way...

Old 09-03-2011, 10:26 PM

33,564 posts, read 37,165,415 times
The Nova presentation can be seen here.... NOVA | Becoming Human Part 1

Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The Nova presentation can be seen here.... NOVA | Becoming Human Part 1
Part 2 is what I'm talking about.

When the guy said "Us" were just group of 600 way back when, I put down my glass of wine and thought-"what the heck-did he really say that???". Indeed he did. Science backing up up theology. Not surprising.

The 600. How come and why? Could it be that the 600 started as two? Well why not? Not exactly Darwinian evolution, but how else does "IT" happen. Umm..actually not. Agreed. So why US?

Old 09-03-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Part 2 is what I'm talking about.

When the guy said "Us" were just group of 600 way back when, I put down my glass of wine and thought-"what the heck-did he really say that???". Indeed he did. Science backing up up theology. Not surprising.

The 600. How come and why? Could it be that the 600 started as two? Well why not? Not exactly Darwinian evolution, but how else does "IT" happen. Umm..actually not. Agreed. So why US?
I have no idea how you think this backs up theology, when really it confirms evolution....Did you think that hundreds of individuals all mutated in the same instant? Here's how it works. One individual develops a mutation or small change, that change is passed on to the progeny. If it is beneficial (Gives a survival advantage) the change will be kept. An accumulation of many of these small changes over time can lead to a new species...Perhaps there was a small band of our ancestors who were isolated from other human like species, and over time evolved into close to what we are today.

I suggest you research ring species.

I am watching part two of the series now. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evoluti...an-part-2.html

Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:

Thoughts

Very strange, I've watched part one and two of the series and heard nothing about a suddenly appearing band of 600 humans, or any comment on our genetic diversity.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:39 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Very strange, I've watched part one and two of the series and heard nothing about a suddenly appearing band of 600 humans, or any comment on our genetic diversity.

I too watched the series..P1,2 and 3. And I too never never heard anything about a suddenly appearing band of 600... As I remember P1 was about becoming human in terms of going from ape like behavior on all 4s to walking on 2 legs...P2 was about becoming human in term of working together, forming tribes as it were and using technology and caring for each other, especially the young. P3 was about the spread of humans vs other species especially Neanderthals.
One of the points of the whole series was that humans had the capacity to adapt in more ways then any human species. The ability to adapt to climate change in particular but also in our own increased need for protien to feed our growing brains..to care for our children. Another point was that where ever humans (homo sapiens) showed up on the map other existing species became extinct. In the end I was impressed with the fact that neither religion nor evolution as theory was ever brought into the equation. They simply stated facts as they were found in the ground by archeologists.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:56 AM

One of the faces of an ancestor from "becoming human",

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-04-2011 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: Deleted the Mike Tyson comment..reports ya know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality