Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be the reaction if Muslims had done them
It would be considered Islamic terrorism. 22 66.67%
It would be ignored. 0 0%
The story would not make national news. 4 12.12%
None of the above. 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 01:30 PM

16,740 posts, read 15,755,116 times

Advertisements

This is the Religion & Spirituality forum. It is not the Politics forum, nor is it the Guns forum. No more posts that cross the line into subjects more appropriate for those forums. Please confine comments here to Religion & Spirituality. Comments on other topics can be made in other forums. City-Data has plenty of those.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:09 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,142,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
It would depend on what his motivation was, Isn't that the only difference between an attack and a terrorist attack? There is a definition for the word weather people want to use it or not doesn't make them right.
There does not seem to be any real, well defined definition of what constitues a terrorist attack.

But, you are correct, the motivation of the perpetrator is the common factor in all Terrorist attacks.

There seems to be several categories of Terrorist attacks.

Religious

Political

Criminal

Nationalism

etc

Definitions from several dictionaries, the source for each is provided in the link following each.

Noun 1. terrorist attack - a surprise attack involving the deliberate use of violence against civilians in the hope of attaining political or religious aimsterrorist attack - a surprise attack involving the deliberate use of violence against civilians in the hope of attaining political or religious aims
act of terrorism, terrorism, terrorist act - the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear
Terrorist attack - definition of terrorist attack by The Free Dictionary

In its broadest sense, terrorism is any act designed to cause terror.[1] In a narrower sense, terrorism can be understood to feature a political objective. The word terrorism is politically loaded and emotionally charged.[2]
A broad array of political organizations have practised terrorism to further their objectives. It has been practised by both right-wing and left-wing political parties, nationalist groups, religious groups, revolutionaries, and ruling governments.[3] The symbolism of terrorism can exploit human fear to help achieve these goals.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism

Princeton's WordNet(0.00 / 0 votes)Rate this definition:
terrorist attack(noun)
a surprise attack involving the deliberate use of violence against civilians in the hope of attaining political or religious aims

Freebase(0.00 / 0 votes)Rate this definition:
Terrorist Attack
A Terrorist Attack can refer to any attack lead by a small group against a populace, agency, business, government etc. that is done for ideological purposes.
What does terrorist attack mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 02:09 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,677,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
We have not forgotten what happened on 9/11/2001. Our daughter was driving near the Pentagon when the plane flown by the Muslim Islamic Terrorists crashed into it. To her, the Terrorist attack is a recent memory.
I very much remember that day in 2001 when the plane was deliberately crashed into the Pentagon, I was living in the area at the time and on the Tuesday night prior to that incident I had been at a Masonic meeting at the Air Force Base across the river from the Pentagon, I was there as a guest of that Masonic Lodge, you see I am a past master of many Masonic lodges within the Washington DC area and I was visiting this particular Masonic Lodge and happen to have had the pleasure of sitting down with the young man who had just become a Master Mason of that Lodge the month before. He was 26 years old and was looking forward to working within that Masonic Lodge and he worked at the Pentagon, he was married and had a young child not quite a year old, a very energetic young man and would do well within his Masonic Lodge, but on the day of that unfortunate event he was working in the section of the Pentagon that that plane was deliberately crashed into, when they were going through the rubble of that building looking for survivors and victims they found bits and pieces of his body, the only way that his wife could identify his remains was from the Masonic emblem that he was wearing on the chain around his neck. The very next day after that incident I was sitting across the river from the Pentagon watching the smoke from it going into the air. Yes this was a terrorist attack in both New York and Washington DC area and yes it was done by those who profess to be believers in their particular brand of Islam, now I'm not a believer in any particular organized religion and to me I don't care what your religious beliefs are. A terrorist is just terrorist and will use his particular belief as an excuse to do what he does. Islam didn't kill those people, people who have a belief in an outrageous brand of Islam is what killed those people,they could have believed in any kind of religious belief and still done what they did.

Last edited by ptsum; 01-07-2016 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 02:36 PM

639 posts, read 581,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There does not seem to be any real, well defined definition of what constitues a terrorist attack.

But, you are correct, the motivation of the perpetrator is the common factor in all Terrorist attacks.

Religious

Political

Criminal

Nationalism

etc

Definitions from several dictionaries, the source for each is provided in the link following each.

Noun 1. terrorist attack - a surprise attack involving the deliberate use of violence against civilians in the hope of attaining political or religious aimsterrorist attack - a surprise attack involving the deliberate use of violence against civilians in the hope of attaining political or religious aims
act of terrorism, terrorism, terrorist act - the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear

In its broadest sense, terrorism is any act designed to cause terror.[1] In a narrower sense, terrorism can be understood to feature a political objective. The word terrorism is politically loaded and emotionally charged.[2]
A broad array of political organizations have practised terrorism to further their objectives. It has been practised by both right-wing and left-wing political parties, nationalist groups, religious groups, revolutionaries, and ruling governments.[3] The symbolism of terrorism can exploit human fear to help achieve these goals.[4]

terrorist attack(noun)
a surprise attack involving the deliberate use of violence against civilians in the hope of attaining political or religious aims

Terrorist Attack
A Terrorist Attack can refer to any attack lead by a small group against a populace, agency, business, government etc. that is done for ideological purposes.
Yea, People on both sides use it when it suits them.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:06 PM

197 posts, read 87,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
The media protects Islam, and tries to downplay their threat.
In my view, Abrahamic religions are the most damaging to people's happiness. Both fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims are scary people. The only difference is that Christians like to destroy people's self esteem while Muslims like to destroy people's lives. Christians may be a lesser of two evils, but they are not better. Unfortunately, the media tends to avoid criticizing Islam and targets Christianity a bit too much.

Sam Harris and Bill Maher are two of the few people who dares to confront both Christianity and Islam. I'm not an atheist, but I feel like these atheists really play fair game when it comes to criticizing damages caused by Abrahamic faith.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:18 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,665,598 times
Quote:
?? You yourself give some well defined definitions below;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI

terrorist attack(noun)

Terrorist Attack
The main term within 'terrorism' is of course "terror." The suffix "ism" denote some consistent and regular act and practices that has some cultural, social, ideological, etc. base to it.
This is why some one-off acts of terror are not termed terrorism.

Quote:
The common factors for all attacks within terrorism are as follows;

1. Committed by people with high evil prone tendencies and proclivities, and/or

2. Inspired, motivated and triggered by some sort of ideological ideas, consistent pattern of behavior and the likes.
Quote:
Religious
Political
Criminal
Nationalism
etc.
I agree with the above.
All such terrorist attacks must be condemned, analyzed to their ultimate root causes and preventive solutions need to be established to eliminate or prevent their occurrence.

The 'Religious' category is on topic for our discussion.
From my in depth research into all the mainstream religions of the World, I noted Islam is the only religion that has leading evil laden elements in its core holy text [Quran] which has the potential to trigger, inspire and motivate certain Muslims [not all] with high inclinations for evils and violence towards terroristic acts.
The actual terrorist acts by SOME Muslims are so evident for all to acknowledge its reality.

The trigger, inspiration and motivation of these terrorists to commit evils and violence are from the ethos of Islam [in part], i.e. the Quran itself.
The >55% of evil laden verses in the Quran form a nursery bed that nurture and pump up SOME very sensitive evil prone Muslims to go on a rampage or planned a serious terrorists attack merely based on some acts of the infidels and misperceived as a threat to Islam.

Here are some direct verses that prompt SOME evil prone Muslims to be terrorists;
3:151. We [Allah] shall cast terror into the hearts of those [infidels] who disbelieve because they [infidels] ascribe unto Allah partners [idols and deities], for which no warrant hath been revealed. Their [infidels] habitation is the Fire, and hapless the abode of the wrong doers [infidels].

Muslims and their apologists defend 3:151 by insisting it was related to some real war situations then [in 7th century] and all armies cast terror onto their enemies during war.

In general the war and other scenarios are merely stories [emphasized by commentators] to represent a generic principles that all Muslims must followed when Islam is being threatened. Because SOME [300 million or more] are so sensitive as believers, any acts by non-Muslims are often misperceived as a threat and real evils and violence [which are very significant] are committed by SOME Muslims.

Note there are many verses that exhort the casting of terror into the hearts of non-Muslims followed by extremely high rewards in Paradise if Muslims do that. Here is one..
8:12. When thy Lord inspired the angels, (saying I [Allah] am with you. So make those who believe [Muslims] stand firm. I will throw fear [terror] into the hearts of those [infidels] who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger.

Why? it is merely this,

8:13. That is because they [infidels] opposed Allah and His messenger. Whoso opposeth Allah and His messenger, (for him) lo! Allah is severe in punishment.

Within the whole context of the Quran and thus Islam, Muslims are led to believe arrogantly that Islam is the superior religion and non-Muslims must be subjugated and 'kow tow' to Muslims at all times. Thus the constant acts of terrors are necessary to keep non-Muslims under fears thus in check.
From the Quran's main exhortation of terrors, expositions are made in the Hadiths which exaggerate the acts of terror on non-Muslims.

In the Sunni authoritative guide 'The Reliance of the Traveller' each Muslim is supposed to commit acts of terrors on non-Muslims at least twice a year to cast terror and fears into the heart of non-Muslims.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliance_of_the_Traveller
This command to commit terrors is taken up seriously by SOME very zealous evil prone Muslims and they really do it and thus Islam-inspired terrorism is here to stay.
This is the barbaric way to achieve psychological control over others.

Note: I want to emphasize the word 'SOME' because it is very critical and significant when referred to 'some' within 1.5++ billion Muslims.
'Some' evil prone Muslim means a pool of 300 million evil prone Muslim if only 20% or 150 million -10%.

It is time for humanity to recognize Islam is inherently good and evil.
It is the inherent and unavoidable evil part of Islam that is the ultimate cause of evils and violence as committed by SOME evil prone Muslims who are inspired by a significant % of evil laden elements in the Quran [thus Islam] and the martial ethos of Muhammad.

Last edited by Continuum; 01-07-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 01-08-2016, 08:59 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,121,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
In my view, Abrahamic religions are the most damaging to people's happiness. Both fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims are scary people. The only difference is that Christians like to destroy people's self esteem while Muslims like to destroy people's lives. Christians may be a lesser of two evils, but they are not better. Unfortunately, the media tends to avoid criticizing Islam and targets Christianity a bit too much.

Sam Harris and Bill Maher are two of the few people who dares to confront both Christianity and Islam. I'm not an atheist, but I feel like these atheists really play fair game when it comes to criticizing damages caused by Abrahamic faith.
I am a born again believer, and I see a huge difference. Some fundamentalist Christians do go overboard with legalism. However, fundamentalist muslims believe in killing anyone that doesn't agree with their beliefs. In short, they are ignorant, barbaric and looney tunes. I realize that all muslims are not extreme in their views, but plenty of them are.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I am a born again believer, and I see a huge difference. Some fundamentalist Christians do go overboard with legalism. However, fundamentalist muslims believe in killing anyone that doesn't agree with their beliefs. In short, they are ignorant, barbaric and looney tunes. I realize that all muslims are not extreme in their views, but plenty of them are.
There is nothing in the Qur'an that permits us to harm non-Muslims because of their beliefs.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:44 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,121,251 times
Quote:
There is nothing in the Qur'an that permits us to harm non-Muslims because of their beliefs.
I don't read the Qur'an. Apparently the Qur'an has little or no influence on all these crazies. How else to explain their extreme views AND actions. Please don't say it's a small minority that are doing these things. I don't hate muslims, but I do hate much of what they believe and how they treat people- especially women.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I don't read the Qur'an. Apparently the Qur'an has little or no influence on all these crazies. How else to explain their extreme views AND actions. Please don't say it's a small minority that are doing these things. I don't hate muslims, but I do hate much of what they believe and how they treat people- especially women.
We are all individuals. Islam is not organized in the manner Christianity is. We have no central leader that speaks for all Muslims. There is no standardized set of Teaching. We have no hierarchy of clergy as we have no ordained clergy.

Each and every Muslim has to be viewed as an individual responsible for his own actions or non-actions.

No Muslim speaks for Islam or for any other Muslim. We each can only explain our own actions and why we do what we do or do not do.

There are very few things all Muslims have in common. The only belief I find to be universal among all Muslims, I personally know, is that we believe we are to worship and pray to the one God(swt) who has no equals, no partners and no progeny.

I personally find Islam to be exceptionally peaceful and very tolerant and believe we are to treat all people fairly and for us to not be aggressors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality