Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 08:04 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Here is a history of tax exemption status going all the way back to Constantine:
Of Church, State, and Taxes | Christian History

Churches perform many free services to the community such as parishioners collecting money and food to feed and clothe the poor and distributing these from the churches.

I think the people doing the most bellyaching about churches are the biggest hypocrites who think only of themselves.
The company my wife works for collects food and distributes it to needy families. They sponsor a park and we go yearly to do painting, cleanup, and improvements of that park. They organize a fun run as a fundraiser for a local childrens hospital. After a tornado destroyed entire neighborhoods, they organized cleanup parties and paid for food and materials needed. Plus other community outreach and scholarships. And considering that this company is larger than any of the churches in the area I can guarantee that the amount of money raised by them is far higher than any local church. And they supply jobs that support the families of over 8,000 employees.

Yet they still pay property taxes and other business related taxes.

Last edited by jjrose; 01-09-2016 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 09:26 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Oh...I don't know......

Stability, morals, food pantries, hospitals, etc....

But as Woodrow said...we are non-profit. My church definitely spends every dime it gets on the necessities....like heat, electricity, helping the community (charitable giving).
When a church is doing something charitable, there are stings attached. Charity from a church comes with an agenda, for example when a church takes in foreign refugees, it is first and foremost an attempt to convert them. What is wrong with that, you might ask? You are insulting their belief system. There are many secular organizations that offer charity with no strings attached.

I volunteered for a fantastic non-profit agency, we had a food bank, a clothes closet, toys for children along with diapers/other baby care needs, a safe place to get out of the elements, a suicide prevention hotline, and other services all offered free of charge. We gave without judgement, no strings attached. "Any problem under the sin" is their motto.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
When a church is doing something charitable, there are stings attached.
No. Not really. It could be something as simple as handing out cold bottles of water on a 100 degree day, or taking a gallon of homemade ice cream to the local bar. Maybe it's collecting baby items for a family that just had a baby, or giving a tank of gas to a young couple with children that can't afford it. I've personally done that in my town.
Quote:

Charity from a church comes with an agenda, for example when a church takes in foreign refugees, it is first and foremost an attempt to convert them. What is wrong with that, you might ask? You are insulting their belief system. There are many secular organizations that offer charity with no strings attached.
Not all churches are mega-churches that take can afford to do big things like that. Sometimes it's something as simple as the little church in town that does nice things for the people.
Quote:
I volunteered for a fantastic non-profit agency, we had a food bank, a clothes closet, toys for children along with diapers/other baby care needs, a safe place to get out of the elements, a suicide prevention hotline, and other services all offered free of charge. We gave without judgement, no strings attached. "Any problem under the sin" is their motto.
Good for you. I encourage you to do that more.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:59 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
It's time to give EVERYONE Tax exemptions.

That's what I don't get about people voting for politicians that campaign saying,'' WE are going to tax you to death.''

Then after they get voted in and tax you to death, people start crying.

Why would anyone push for more taxes on anyone?

There maybe a lot of frauds out there, but I don't think you realize just how much ministries do for the community.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:08 AM

Most churches do not have an agenda, and the ALL the ministries I know of give their whole life helping people. My family has taken in over a thousand people and we didn't care what they believed, not only that, it was always the people nobody else wanted to deal with and my mother gets a tax exemption but she spends all her money on other people and is always broke.

There are several places in my town that give out food every week, who house single mother's every week, and we aren't talking about rich people. Most of the people I know in Charity work give from themselves and they aint making no money for a tax exemption to even help them.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:12 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
When a church is doing something charitable, there are stings attached. Charity from a church comes with an agenda, for example when a church takes in foreign refugees, it is first and foremost an attempt to convert them. What is wrong with that, you might ask? You are insulting their belief system. There are many secular organizations that offer charity with no strings attached.
That's it spot on there!

Old 01-09-2016, 10:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. Not really. It could be something as simple as handing out cold bottles of water on a 100 degree day, or taking a gallon of homemade ice cream to the local bar. Maybe it's collecting baby items for a family that just had a baby, or giving a tank of gas to a young couple with children that can't afford it. I've personally done that in my town.
There is still an agenda old fruit. Whether you are concious of it or not, what you (or your church) is hoping is that those who are receiving will think...Oh what nice people. Perhaps I'll go along to their church one day.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:22 AM

I was living in East Texas at one point in my life, and I would always donate to the shelter food bank and they knew me real well.

I had hit hard times and I needed a place to stay Sunday and Monday till I got a ride, and so they welcomed me in and gave me a bed, but when I refused to attend their church, they shunned me, kicked me out.

It was unbelievable to me because we had a long past.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
There is still an agenda old fruit. Whether you are concious of it or not, what you (or your church) is hoping is that those who are receiving will think...Oh what nice people. Perhaps I'll go along to their church one day.
Amazing that you can read my mind and the minds of our people. What's funny is that we are told we are wrong if we want to share Christ with others because that's "insulting their beliefs"....yet, you're now telling me what I think, and that what I think is wrong.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:42 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes exactly. It's why fundamentalist Christians generally dislike the idea of government aid, since it means less dependence on the church for aid. It's far harder for to gain followers when basic needs are already met elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality