Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I just find the whole "signing papers" thing REALLY off-putting and I smell danger. I WOULD NOT do this. She wants to sue you for refusing to sign a paper saying "Go ahead and teach Catholicism to my child?" The court will kick her out on her ear provided you are NOT actively getting in the way of HER taking your child to church, teaching Catholicism and so on. Perhaps you could even counter-sue for legal fees since this would surely be a frivolous lawsuit. Talk to a lawyer.

Don't sign some creepy cult paper. You REALLY never know where that could go. DO make sure your daughter and ex both know it's fine that your daughter goes to church, religious school or whatever. And in this case I see no leg your ex could possibly have to stand on, I DO NOT believe the court is going to force you to sign a paper saying your child can be Catholic...that would be totally bizarre.

See a lawyer if she's serious about this.
Guys c'mon, don't be dense. There is no "cult paper". The only two papers I know of that allow the kid to attend this school are:
  1. The school registration form, which you do at any school to enroll.
  2. Custody papers to make the child hers.
It's one thing to go off and shy away from a religion. It's another to be ignorant of it. Christians live in the mainstream world. They obey the traffic laws, vote, everything else. They don't have voodoo dolls, they don't have special permission papers to all people to join, they don't do brainwashing. They just go to church on sundays.

If you have reason to suspect something may indeed be a cult, you check it out beforehand. If they seem creepy, refuse. However, that comes down to whether you trust your ex or not. She is Catholic, raised Catholic, why would she put your kid into anything other than a Catholic school?

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 01-14-2016 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 02:35 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
^^^^ Ignorant of the facts as usual.

Some of the standard claims:
  • Possession of special knowledge
  • Others believe in X, so you should, too
  • Promise of some kind of pleasure
  • Promise of some future reward
  • Supernatural events on some level

Is Teaching Children Religion Brainwashing?

Born Again Brainwashing

Conversion Tactics

How They Manipulate Your Mind

Old 01-17-2016, 03:09 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
"Sign papers"? I don't understand. Can such a thing be legally binding? What papers?

Do you have joint custody? Does she have custody? If it's either of these two, AFAIK she's free to take the child to church on her assigned days/times, correct?

I doubt she can get full custody of your child based on your not agreeing to "sign papers" to raise the child Catholic. That would be ridiculous. I have never actually heard of such a thing. If your ex-wife is making this threat, I'm putting the odds a hundred to one that it's a way-out-there bluff that she'd even speak to a lawyer about doing this, much less go ahead and attempt it.

FTR, I have never, ever heard of signed papers being "required" in order to be a Catholic. There has to be more to this story. It doesn't make sense the way you're presenting it.
These Catholics show what human life means to Christians such as them. Human people and even their own children are just cattle (sheep) to be manipulated through peer-pressure and hypnotic rituals to continue being cogs in the machines of happy ignorance (that asks for, and needs, money to survive).

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-17-2016 at 03:25 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 05:48 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
^^^^ Ignorant of the facts as usual.

Some of the standard claims:
  • Possession of special knowledge
  • Others believe in X, so you should, too
  • Promise of some kind of pleasure
  • Promise of some future reward
  • Supernatural events on some level

Is Teaching Children Religion Brainwashing?

Born Again Brainwashing

Conversion Tactics

How They Manipulate Your Mind
Wow congratulations. I thought atheists were rational enough to never have conspiracy theory websites. Turns out you have proof otherwise.

I have met actual cult leaders. Teaching children about their religious culture is somehow different from telling kids too young to argue with you that they are stupid for belief in stuff?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...214340AA7x2b5#

If you want to make a child that really finds answers, you don't give them easy ones. You tell them what you believe, you tell them why you believe, and you let them make up their own minds, preferably with the help of other options.

If you want to brainwash a kid, tell him something and expect him to believe it no questions asked. Both theism and atheism does that. It's not called brainwashing. It's called bad parenting.

This is all it takes to brainwash a kid to atheism. "You really believe that stuff? That's just silly superstition." Congratulations. The kid wanted to be a priest like his dad, and he's too young to be able to decide that no it isn't. You effectively killed his dream. Now he can be... another worker at McDonald's.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 01-17-2016 at 06:01 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 05:55 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch.stanton View Post
She needs me to sign papers to raise our child Catholic.
I doubt that very much. At least nothing in my experience so far of laws related to this in the US (which I know a bit of), Ireland (where I am from) and Germany (where I live now) have even SUGGESTED anything of the sort. So it sounds like there is something else going on here. Either something in the papers they want you to sign is being used against you in some kind of lateral move in a custody battle, or something else in the papers in the fine print is there that you do not know about.

By all means scan the papers in and show them to us so we can say more. But failing that, I would seek professional legal advice on the papers and get a fully informed and educated opinion on the implications of signing, and not signing, them.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Wow congratulations. I thought atheists were rational enough to never have conspiracy theory websites. Turns out you have proof otherwise.

I have met actual cult leaders. Teaching children about their religious culture is somehow different from telling kids too young to argue with you that they are stupid for belief in stuff?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...214340AA7x2b5#

If you want to make a child that really finds answers, you don't give them easy ones. You tell them what you believe, you tell them why you believe, and you let them make up their own minds, preferably with the help of other options.

If you want to brainwash a kid, tell him something and expect him to believe it no questions asked. Both theism and atheism does that. It's not called brainwashing. It's called bad parenting.

This is all it takes to brainwash a kid to atheism. "You really believe that stuff? That's just silly superstition." Congratulations. The kid wanted to be a priest like his dad, and he's too young to be able to decide that no it isn't. You effectively killed his dream. Now he can be... another worker at McDonald's.
First I am not an atheist. Second there is no conspiracy theory going on here.

The fact is any religion who tells you that you will be punished UNLESS you believe what they are selling is a CULT. You clearly have no clue what CULT tactics involve.

You also have no clue about Atheists as a belief system.

Atheism is not a belief system. What atheists are saying is that they don’t choose to believe in religious dogma simply because it’s not sensible.

So instead of saying they believe in this or that, they are simply saying: this myth is inconsistent with that myth, and that myth is inconsistent with what we know about the Universe, and that myth is inconsistent with what we know about Evolution and therefore the myths are unlikely to be true and they choose not to believe in them.

That is all Atheism is…its people saying this is unlikely to be true….it is not a belief system. To compare this to a belief system as what religion is…is a false premise.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
By all means scan the papers in and show them to us so we can say more. But failing that, I would seek professional legal advice on the papers and get a fully informed and educated opinion on the implications of signing, and not signing, them.

Yes I would love to see what type of papers he is referring to as well.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:54 PM

11,022 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
First I am not an atheist. Second there is no conspiracy theory going on here.

The fact is any religion who tells you that you will be punished UNLESS you believe what they are selling is a CULT. You clearly have no clue what CULT tactics involve.

You also have no clue about Atheists as a belief system.

Atheism is not a belief system. What atheists are saying is that they don’t choose to believe in religious dogma simply because it’s not sensible.

So instead of saying they believe in this or that, they are simply saying: this myth is inconsistent with that myth, and that myth is inconsistent with what we know about the Universe, and that myth is inconsistent with what we know about Evolution and therefore the myths are unlikely to be true and they choose not to believe in them.

That is all Atheism is…its people saying this is unlikely to be true….it is not a belief system. To compare this to a belief system as what religion is…is a false premise.
"You need to spread some reps around ... blah blah blah ..." Good post! Clearly and concisely expressed. Damn you're good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality