Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 08:27 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Only the scientifically illiterate say things such as this.
Yes there is more evidence supporting evolution than any of the other Scientific Theories. That's an overwhelming amount for sure!

Is there any competing hypothesis that has more evidence than evolution? NOPE

You're welcome.
Many with PhDs claim "overwhelming" evidence for their proofs...Both Doctorates of Science and Religion...Each one hollers, "My evidence is OVERWHELMING", therefore, you're wrong!"...

Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Many with PhDs claim "overwhelming" evidence for their proofs...Both Doctorates of Science and Religion...Each one hollers, "My evidence is OVERWHELMING", therefore, you're wrong!"...
Meanwhile the PHDs over at the Creation museum that you've been referencing are writing things like this,

"In 1878, half a century after the first Iguanodon find, workers in a Belgian coal mine made an astonishing discovery: thirty-eight complete and nearly complete Iguanodon skeletons!4 The eminent paleontologist Louis Dollo oversaw their preparation and produced nine mounted skeletons for the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences, where these beautiful specimens are still on display.
Dollo was more fortunate than Mantell. Here were dozens of full skeletons, buried so quickly during Noah’s Flood that the bones had not yet been scavenged or scattered..."

Old 02-09-2016, 10:27 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
You clearly are one of the many scientifically illiterate folks. You guys are the only ones who makes such cretinous claims.

You clearly don't even know what evidence is or what it takes for something to become a Scientific Theory.

Hint: It does not happen with out evidence.

Educate Yourself!

Old 02-09-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Those links seem to have to do with recently dead things and not something that has been in the ground for hundreds or thousands of years...
Brilliant! That was the reason I posted them.

Pay attention. It helps to understand the flow of the posts and what I was responding to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
He meant age at time of death.
Quote:
You never know with some folks

He is also wrong no matter which method of dating dead things he's talking about.

Estimating The Time of Death

FORENSIC ENTOMOLOGY OR THE USE OF INSECTS IN DEATH INVESTIGATIONS

Old 02-09-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The use of carbon-14 dating is often misunderstood. Carbon-14 is mostly used to date once-living things (organic material). It cannot be used directly to date rocks
No duh. Where did I say rocks anywhere? I suppose you think a fossil is a rock? *snickering*

You need to pay better attention to what I actually post.

Quote:
however, it can potentially be used to put time constraints on some inorganic material such as diamonds (diamonds could contain carbon-14). Because of the rapid rate of decay of 14C, it can only give dates in the thousands-of-year range and not millions.
You are just repeating what I posted. Now Pay Attention!

Quote:
Wrong: Scientist look at the radioactive decay of Carbon-14. Carbon-14 has a half-life of 5,730 ± 40 years, meaning that every 5,700 years or so the object loses half its carbon-14. They can date fossils up to about 60,000 years with this method.
Quote:

*There are there are other methods used to date older fossils.*

Dating Dinosaurs and other Fossils
Amazing that a person can respond to a person's post, but clearly did not read or understand the persons post,even though it is crystal clear. I worry about some of these posters.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:11 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:

He is also wrong no matter which method of dating dead things he's talking about.

That works well if you are trying to determine how long a body has been dead in order to catch the murderer, not so well if the death is hundreds or thousands of years old.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That works well if you are trying to determine how long a body has been dead in order to catch the murderer, not so well if the death is hundreds or thousands of years old.
What is wrong with some of you guys reading skills?

Pay Attention! I was responding to this....do you see the words "He meant age at the time of death"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
He meant age at time of death.
Then I responded appropriately with these links that again show Euse wrong. He is claim is that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Scientists look at the wear point of the bones to estimate how old a person *may* have been when they died among other things they look at.
Quote:

Let's be clear. To date something that has been dead for thousands of years they use Radiometric dating.

I also posted a link in post #146 after stating *There are other methods used to date older fossils*.

This links discuss all the dating methods.

Dating Dinosaurs and other Fossils

Pay attention folks!

Here is another great link about how they date ancient things. Dating Fossils – How Are Fossils Dated?

Last edited by Matadora; 02-09-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 12:50 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
If evolution is false, it proves that the Giant Space Crabs created all life on earth.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:57 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If evolution is false, it proves that the Giant Space Crabs created all life on earth.
I thought it was tge Flying Spaghetti Monster?

I actually believe in God but don't view God and science (evolution being one small discipline, actually subset of biology) as mutually exclusive of each other.

Actually science is what led me back to God after identifying as an atheist for 30 years. But that's another thread.

For those, on either side, that are dead set that it's God or nothing, or evolution and nothing, I'll just say I disagree with both of those contentions (and I don't define I.D. Theory as science, nor subscribe to its contentions. Actually I find it more philosophically based)

Old 02-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I actually believe in God but don't view God and science (evolution being one small discipline, actually subset of biology) as mutually exclusive of each other.
Wrong. Evolution is not one small discipline. In fact the evidence supporting Evolution is so overwhelming that there is no other Scientific Theory with this amount of supporting evidence.

The REASON that there is so much supporting evidence is because Evolution isn't so much a Theory as it is an entire branch of science that is intertwined with other branches. Like chemistry, and paleontology. I don't know too many paleontologists who lie awake at night worrying that paleontology might turn out to be wrong. Even though any given fossil could turn out to be fake or misinterpreted, they are not all fake.

Evolution by natural selection is one of the best substantiated theories in the history of science, supported by evidence from a wide variety of scientific disciplines, including paleontology, geology, genetics and developmental biology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality