Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 11:22 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,337,280 times

Advertisements

Telling someone that they cannot legally marry or form any type of legal partnership because their sexual orientation goes against your personal faith is having the government forcing your beliefs onto others. Giving businesses and governments the right to discriminate based purely on that person's views takes away the rights of all but especially those of minorities, the ones that need the protection the most.

Compromise is not letting governments and businesses to discriminate based on your views. If a clerk refused to issue marriage licenses to any other couple that could legally have one that would also be wrong.

And if I am not mistaken, the church Re the sermons was suspected of using the sermons as a way to tell people how to vote against politicians who supported gay rights, in other words violating it's tax free stat us for political purposes.

As far as precedent goes if a religious person can use their religion to deny a gay person a marriage certificate why not a government job or a fair trial or anything else. You like to bring up extremely unlikely things happening and then get outraged if someone else does.

Other countries that have much less religion than USA seem to have less of a greed culture or being quick to sue so perhaps the correlation is not between greed and lack of following the Bible but something totally different, but guess that can't be as it does not fit your narrative.

Jeff, I remember where I was when JFK was shoot and I would also be surprised if you would have supported much of what he stood for. No one wants to take your religion from you they just want to not have your religion thrust upon them. That you can still support a government employee not only refusing to do her job but also ordering those she supervised to not do theirs as well as refusing to obey a court order issued by a devout Christian who personally does not support SSM shows that you do not have the ability to see both sides. The government should never force a real church to perform ssm unless that church is directly funded by the state as it is in some European countries. But if you are a business or an employee you must follow the same laws as everyone else.

Do you even see the flip side of a minority having to go from county to country or even state to state trying to find government services if the law was that any government employee or official can discriminate based on their own faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 11:49 AM

11,073 posts, read 6,014,358 times
Good post, badlander. Well thought out. (I'm out of reps for you!)

Dang, I envy you folks with your expressive skills!

Old 02-27-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Good post, badlander. Well thought out. (I'm out of reps for you!)

Dang, I envy you folks with your expressive skills!
Thanks

Compared to the OP I am still in junior high as far as expressing myself.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Thanks

Aah, she's a master! I stand in awe of her.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:31 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,751,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Once again, we have this strange dichotomy whereby these rules suddenly apply to the Israelites when it's convenient for their current argument. After all, like I said before, we'll still see fundamentalist Christians fight against gay marriage as if this were the single most important Christian ideal in the history of 3,000 years of Judeo-Christian faith despite the fact that it's not even a real issue in the NT.

Matthew 5:17-20

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

*scratches head*
Do I really need to explain this again? Look again. Jesus didn't just say hey I'm not here to destroy the law. Period. He said he was here to fullfill it which means He paid the sin debt on all of mankind with his sacrifice. We are now saved by grace, not obedience to the law.

If we go with your interpretation then it is pointless for Jesus to even die for our sins. Furthermore, you have the problem of verses like Romans 10:4, Galatians 3:23–25, Ephesians 2:15. And especially with Ephesians 2:8–9 which clearly states that we don't have to earn our way to heaven by following a set of strict rules.

Of course, you will reject this like you have to reject ANYTHING I post.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Do I really need to explain this again? Look again. Jesus didn't just say hey I'm not here to destroy the law. Period. He said he was here to fulfill it which means He paid the sin debt on all of mankind with his sacrifice.
OK. Let's go with that.

It does seem strange though that when God first laid down the law saying his law is unchanging, that he never mentioned this would happen. Surely he would have said his law was unchanging until the day his son made the ultimate sacrifice for mankind? Come to think of it, why didn't he just sacrifice his son right in the beginning and save everyone a whole lot of trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
We are now saved by grace, not obedience to the law.

If we go with your interpretation then it is pointless for Jesus to even die for our sins. Furthermore, you have the problem of verses like Romans 10:4, Galatians 3:23–25, Ephesians 2:15. And especially with Ephesians 2:8–9 which clearly states that we don't have to earn our way to heaven by following a set of strict rules.
There seems to be some debate over this one. Some say this is not the case. Surely the inspired word of God is consistent?

Old 02-27-2016, 05:22 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,751,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
OK. Let's go with that.

It does seem strange though that when God first laid down the law saying his law is unchanging, that he never mentioned this would happen. Surely he would have said his law was unchanging until the day his son made the ultimate sacrifice for mankind? Come to think of it, why didn't he just sacrifice his son right in the beginning and save everyone a whole lot of trouble?
Well there's where you separate Mosaic law from moral law. Moral laws apply to everyone and is unchanging. Mosaic law was meant only for the tribe of Israel to ensure their survival in that time period. It was temporary. The real question is why do you hate God so much? It's obvious there is NOTHING He can do that will ever satisfy you.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,231,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Thanks

Shirina is an exceptionally intelligent and gifted writer. Her posts are entertaining, educational and a joy to read.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:52 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,819,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Shirina is an exceptionally intelligent and gifted writer. Her posts are entertaining, educational and a joy to read.
But entirely too long!

Old 02-27-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
But entirely too long!
Sometimes yes other times I would disagree on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality