Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:57 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times

Advertisements

As everyone who reads my posts know, nothing brings out my "militant" atheism more than when some Christian or another tries to tell atheists to essentially "sit down and shut up."

Whether it's when an atheist group puts up a sign, a billboard, or springs for a message hung on the side of a bus ... or even if it's simply calling the Bible "garbage" on a forum post, I'm really sick and tired of certain Christians blowing a gasket whenever we exercise our right to free speech in this country that "supposedly" gives us that right.

Yet when I opened yesterday's newspaper -- which is ostensibly a secular newspaper reporting secular news like every other newspaper, what I read nearly caused my eyes to melt out of my head like those poor saps at the end of the Raiders of the Lost Ark movie:

People Need to Accept Jesus

Editor,

God said in John 8:12 "I am the light of the world." People don't seem to understand that God sent his son to us not to condemn us but to save us. We are no different than those in early Bible times. I know there are a lot of people out there still living in sin by the way the world is run. God revealed to me, tell my people that Jesus shed his blood for our sins.

There is a hell. If we don't accept Jesus there is where we'll be. I hope this will change a lot of people's lives. I shed a few tears while I wrote this.

-- Winnie Hook, Knox

Yeah, Winnie, I shed a few tears, too. Namely because you had the arrogance to threaten the readership of this paper with hell if we all didn't convert to your immoral religion. Thanks for that. It's always nice to begin one's morning with a fresh cup of coffee, a warm piece of toast with melted butter, and a threat of eternal torture if we don't heed your ridiculous warnings by joining your ancient messianic doomsday cult with a proverbial gun to our heads.

Bugger off!

What's even "nicer," I must say, is why the hell a secular newspaper is publishing something like this. Were there no better letters to the editor to publish yesterday? Was a lot of mewling proselytizing, threats, and whining about sin the best you had to offer?

I'm giving serious thought to writing my own letter telling everyone how they should accept Allah and see if this paper has the stones -- and the American spirit -- to actually publish it. Not that they should be publishing something like this in the first place.

There's just something not right about a secular paper publishing a letter that is pure proselytizing religious chest-beating. It has no business in a goddamn NEWSPAPER.

Yet I ask in the thread title ... is this irony or hypocrisy because, even though a letter like this ought not to have been published in a secular newspaper, there it is. Which, of course, should give all of the "boohoo, everyone is out to silence religion" whiners like Jeffbase a moment of pause.

If their allegations are true, then why is this letter in yesterday's newspaper? Hmm, it sure does seem like religion is bleating its message loud and clear to me, Jeff. I don't see a big blank space that says, "Message about religion deleted due to atheist attack." And this isn't even a religious publication. Plus, this isn't the first time. I see people chest-beating about religion ALL ... THE ... TIME with more than a few attacks on atheists (with several of the articles taking, shall we say, great liberties with the morality of atheists.)

Is it hypocrisy that people like Jeff are constantly complaining about religion being silenced and yet religion seems to be everywhere you look?

Or is it just irony that atheists are always being told to essentially "shut up" because we're just too loud; we're drowning out the message of religion which just isn't getting the air time that it used to? (If you look really closely ... no, closer, no real close. No, you'll have to put your nose right up against your monitor. If you do that, you might see me rolling my eyes).

Meanwhile, there's this weird god-guy who thought I would be pleased that he murdered his son so he could forgive me for sins that he preordained that I would commit. I dunno. Sounds like a scam to me. Wait, what? All I have to do is pay 10% of my income, can he have my credit card number and check routing info? I knew it! The next thing you know, this god-guy organization will say that I'll have to hate gays, will demand that I help censor Harry Potter from public libraries, and always vote for the most right-wing, pro-business, pro-rich, war-mongering, immigrant-hating Republican in every election. Wait ... really ...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 12:12 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Yeah, that's the way things are in rural northwest PA.

PA is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, with Alabama in-between.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
A newspaper that prints that sort of thing is put into our mail box every two weeks. They also print advertisements from the local Baptist church. Which hosts classes on getting a concealed-carry weapons permit.

Oh those fun Baptists! You get to guess which ones are walking into church with a Glock under their shirt.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:21 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
As everyone who reads my posts know, nothing brings out my "militant" atheism more than when some Christian or another tries to tell atheists to essentially "sit down and shut up."

Whether it's when an atheist group puts up a sign, a billboard, or springs for a message hung on the side of a bus ... or even if it's simply calling the Bible "garbage" on a forum post, I'm really sick and tired of certain Christians blowing a gasket whenever we exercise our right to free speech in this country that "supposedly" gives us that right.

Yet when I opened yesterday's newspaper -- which is ostensibly a secular newspaper reporting secular news like every other newspaper, what I read nearly caused my eyes to melt out of my head like those poor saps at the end of the Raiders of the Lost Ark movie:

Editor,

God said in John 8:12 "I am the light of the world." People don't seem to understand that God sent his son to us not to condemn us but to save us. We are no different than those in early Bible times. I know there are a lot of people out there still living in sin by the way the world is run. God revealed to me, tell my people that Jesus shed his blood for our sins.

There is a hell. If we don't accept Jesus there is where we'll be. I hope this will change a lot of people's lives. I shed a few tears while I wrote this.

-- Winnie Hook, Knox

Yeah, Winnie, I shed a few tears, too. Namely because you had the arrogance to threaten the readership of this paper with hell if we all didn't convert to your immoral religion. Thanks for that. It's always nice to begin one's morning with a fresh cup of coffee, a warm piece of toast with melted butter, and a threat of eternal torture if we don't heed your ridiculous warnings by joining your ancient messianic doomsday cult with a proverbial gun to our heads.

Bugger off!

What's even "nicer," I must say, is why the hell a secular newspaper is publishing something like this. Were there no better letters to the editor to publish yesterday? Was a lot of mewling proselytizing, threats, and whining about sin the best you had to offer?

I'm giving serious thought to writing my own letter telling everyone how they should accept Allah and see if this paper has the stones -- and the American spirit -- to actually publish it. Not that they should be publishing something like this in the first place.

There's just something not right about a secular paper publishing a letter that is pure proselytizing religious chest-beating. It has no business in a goddamn NEWSPAPER.

Yet I ask in the thread title ... is this irony or hypocrisy because, even though a letter like this ought not to have been published in a secular newspaper, there it is. Which, of course, should give all of the "boohoo, everyone is out to silence religion" whiners like Jeffbase a moment of pause.

If their allegations are true, then why is this letter in yesterday's newspaper? Hmm, it sure does seem like religion is bleating its message loud and clear to me, Jeff. I don't see a big blank space that says, "Message about religion deleted due to atheist attack." And this isn't even a religious publication. Plus, this isn't the first time. I see people chest-beating about religion ALL ... THE ... TIME with more than a few attacks on atheists (with several of the articles taking, shall we say, great liberties with the morality of atheists.)

Is it hypocrisy that people like Jeff are constantly complaining about religion being silenced and yet religion seems to be everywhere you look?

Or is it just irony that atheists are always being told to essentially "shut up" because we're just too loud; we're drowning out the message of religion which just isn't getting the air time that it used to? (If you look really closely ... no, closer, no real close. No, you'll have to put your nose right up against your monitor. If you do that, you might see me rolling my eyes).

Meanwhile, there's this weird god-guy who thought I would be pleased that he murdered his son so he could forgive me for sins that he preordained that I would commit. I dunno. Sounds like a scam to me. Wait, what? All I have to do is pay 10% of my income, can he have my credit card number and check routing info? I knew it! The next thing you know, this god-guy organization will say that I'll have to hate gays, will demand that I help censor Harry Potter from public libraries, and always vote for the most right-wing, pro-business, pro-rich, war-mongering, immigrant-hating Republican in every election. Wait ... really ...?
I agree with some of the things you state. For instance, the newspaper said people go to hell if they don't accept Jesus. The Bible doesn't say that. However, you don't really understand why Christ came to earth to die for mankind. So you make fun of that which you are ignorant of. Nice.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:21 PM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

Editor,

-- Winnie Hook, Knox

Bugger off!

No it's hypocrisy that you talk about freedom of speech yet you are groaning that your extremely sensitive eyes (gasp) had to view religious content in a newspaper where probably the majority of readership had no problem with it.

Get real, most people in American do not believe like you. Here's some recent proof for you:

Quote:

The new survey confirms that being an atheist continues to be one of the biggest perceived shortcomings a hypothetical presidential candidate could have, with 51% of adults saying they would be less likely to vote for a presidential candidate who does not believe in God. Indeed, in the eyes of the public, being a nonbeliever remains a bigger drawback than having had an extramarital affair (37% say they would be less likely to support a candidate who had been unfaithful), having had personal financial troubles (41% say they would be less likely to support a candidate who had had financial struggles), or having used marijuana in the past (20% would be less likely to support a former pot smoker).
That's a strong statement that most Americans don't appreciate atheists at all. People respect those who cheat on their spouses more than atheists according to this poll! Being an evangelical Christian is also listed as one of the top characteristics desired. But in your world, everyone should do without just to appease the lone atheist who can't stand anything to do with our faith. Really sad.

How Religion is Shaping the 2016 Presidential Race | Pew Research Center

Old 02-24-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
No it's hypocrisy that you talk about freedom of speech yet you are groaning that your extremely sensitive eyes (gasp) had to view religious content in a newspaper where probably the majority of readership had no problem with it.

Get real, most people in American do not believe like you. Here's some recent proof for you:

That's a strong statement that most Americans don't appreciate atheists at all. People respect those who cheat on their spouses more than atheists according to this poll! Being an evangelical Christian is also listed as one of the top characteristics desired. But in your world, everyone should do without just to appease the lone atheist who can't stand anything to do with our faith. Really sad.

How Religion is Shaping the 2016 Presidential Race | Pew Research Center
Excellent response jeff. I suggest if atheists don't like living in a country of Christians that they move to a country run by an atheist regime.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:43 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,048,833 times
Jesus Christ said "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's". Even He believed in the separation of church and state.
The United States is NOT a Christian nation. It is a secular nation, which was the intent of the Founding Fathers.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Jesus Christ said "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's". Even He believed in the separation of church and state.
The United States is NOT a Christian nation. It is a secular nation, which was the intent of the Founding Fathers.
But even Jesus would tell the state to render unto God what is God's.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:04 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Excellent response jeff. I suggest if atheists don't like living in a country of Christians that they move to a country run by an atheist regime.
Alleged Christians. The word Christian is overused, and makes the wearer of the brand insignificant. We see them here claiming other alleged Christians are not Christian. So much for a unified Christian front in a Christian United States. ahahahahahaha

Many of these alleged Christians could not abide integration of our schools.

These same alleged Christians expect women to submit, and provide sex 24/7 in marriage. Who are these self important men? They all hide behind their Christian websites telling women how to behave. Come out, come out where ever you are.

So, what is an Atheist, or non-Atheist to do? Leave the country I love? No. I have no concern for these alleged men of faith other than to correct their thinking.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:07 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,632 times
Lovely post Shirina. I laughed quite hard till it got serious - the hypocrisy or irony meaty bit. I just think the editor was having a laugh, is a bit of a sap, or one sneeked under the radar. It's beautiful when you get mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality