Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 07:42 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

The god of the bible is one immoral dude. Anyone who believes or teaches the unmoral utterances of this animal, because that is all that god is, has the moral turpitude of Catholic bishops who hide pedophilia priests.

Over the top commentary?

Nope, not at all. We all know the story of Lot's daughters, which is bad enough.

In 2 Samuel 12:11-12 that horrible entity threatens husbands with taking their wives, and giving them to other males to RAPE IN FULL PUBLIC VIEW.

What kind of animal does this? What kind of twisted logic must anyone go to support this? How COULD you, whether your are a parent or a church leader. The most disgusting violence against an innocent women? How can you think in any way shape or form that this is moral, right, or justified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 07:50 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,172,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The god of the bible is one immoral dude. Anyone who believes or teaches the unmoral utterances of this animal, because that is all that god is, has the moral turpitude of Catholic bishops who hide pedophilia priests.

Over the top commentary?

Nope, not at all. We all know the story of Lot's daughters, which is bad enough.

In 2 Samuel 12:11-12 that horrible entity threatens husbands with taking their wives, and giving them to other males to RAPE IN FULL PUBLIC VIEW.

What kind of animal does this? What kind of twisted logic must anyone go to support this? How COULD you, whether your are a parent or a church leader. The most disgusting violence against an innocent women? How can you think in any way shape or form that this is moral, right, or justified?

How can YOU attack something YOU don't believe in to begin with? You and others sure put effort into doing it. Why does He threaten you so much? What has He done to YOU? Why you scared of something, you say ain't real? Why you here? What do you gain by being here? What is it your spreading?

Oxymoron's searching for self justification of something they don't believe in to start with.

Why?

Old 03-06-2016, 08:16 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
How can YOU attack something YOU don't believe in to begin with? You and others sure put effort into doing it. Why does He threaten you so much? What has He done to YOU? Why you scared of something, you say ain't real? Why you here? What do you gain by being here? What is it your spreading?

Oxymoron's searching for self justification of something they don't believe in to start with.

Why?
It matters, because there is a large group of men who want our laws to reflect this book.

Why did that God do that? It deserves an answer.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Why?
By pointing out these horrible teachings, which perhaps you have not been taught, that we *CAN* not, as a society, condone or accept those that want to impose their interpretation of a literal bible on the larger, secular, community. It is no better than those that want sharia.

Of course I, and many like me, don't believe in the mythical entities many do, but by pointing out these horrible moral teachings, hopefully we can get more of the faithful to reject them. Some may even become skeptics, but that is up to them.

BTW, there is no "HE" that hasn't done anything to me. Heck, I'm not even baptized, which is rather unusual for someone who will collect SS this year. We need to get away from fundamentalism, and I hope in some small way I start the thinking process with at least someone who reads this.

Now answer the question. How could you support this teaching in your faith?

Old 03-06-2016, 09:17 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
How can YOU attack something YOU don't believe in to begin with?
I'm afraid I can't say this question makes the slightest bit of sense.

Suppose that a radicalized member of ISIS came to your child's school and tried to recruit children to his cause. You don't believe in that ideology, but guess what, you would oppose it mightily. And rightly so.

By your logic, if a Christian minister came to your school, you'd attack THAT because in order to attack something you must believe in it.
Quote:
You and others sure put effort into doing it. Why does He threaten you so much? What has He done to YOU? Why you scared of something, you say ain't real? Why you here? What do you gain by being here? What is it your spreading?'
Yes we put effort into it because we think it's a societal harm when such notions are promoted.

I don't believe in the existence of your god so by definition he neither threatens me, frightens me, nor do I believe he has done anything to me. You are casting about for explanations where none are needed, simply because you can't get your brain around the simple reality that we don't believe in your deity and are free to question your assertions about reality, your deity, and your "morality".

Now ... do you want to address the substantive issue actually raised here, or continue to deflect? If the latter, what are you so afraid of? Why does rational discourse threaten you so much? Why are you here? No one is making you engage in this conversation. What is it you are spreading? Misinformation, perhaps?

Old 03-06-2016, 10:02 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
By pointing out these horrible teachings, which perhaps you have not been taught, that we *CAN* not, as a society, condone or accept those that want to impose their interpretation of a literal bible on the larger, secular, community. It is no better than those that want sharia.

Of course I, and many like me, don't believe in the mythical entities many do, but by pointing out these horrible moral teachings, hopefully we can get more of the faithful to reject them. Some may even become skeptics, but that is up to them.

BTW, there is no "HE" that hasn't done anything to me. Heck, I'm not even baptized, which is rather unusual for someone who will collect SS this year. We need to get away from fundamentalism, and I hope in some small way I start the thinking process with at least someone who reads this.

Now answer the question. How could you support this teaching in your faith?
In other words, you want to tear down people's faith which is pretty disgusting especially when you present these grossly distorted arguments out of context. We need to get away from secularism which is rotting out our society and creating division and EXTREME intolerance and selfishness.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
In other words, you want to tear down people's faith which is pretty disgusting especially when you present these grossly distorted arguments out of context. We need to get away from secularism which is rotting out our society and creating division and EXTREME intolerance and selfishness.
Jeff, what context do you see those passages in? You telling us it is out of context means nothing. The words are what the words are, they are horrible, and disgusting. They are immoral, and the god that utter them is a disgusting, immoral entity to state them.

How do you want to try and justify this? You can't, at least, I certainly hope you are better than trying to justify this, right?

Old 03-06-2016, 11:05 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Jeff, what context do you see those passages in? You telling us it is out of context means nothing. The words are what the words are, they are horrible, and disgusting. They are immoral, and the god that utter them is a disgusting, immoral entity to state them.

How do you want to try and justify this? You can't, at least, I certainly hope you are better than trying to justify this, right?
And the words have completely different meaning if you study the language and cultural context which you stubbornly refuse to do. You don't want an answer. You just want to present a "gotcha" verse to Christians.

If you truly wanted to understand why God is saying such things, maybe you could ummm start with reading the entire chapter 12 and first see that God is talking specifically to David and only David and it is in regards to punishing David for his horrible sin. But you don't want to dig because that would take away your "gotcha". Well it is simply intellectually dishonest to assume things like marriage in David's time was viewed and operated exactly the same way as marriage in our modern society.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And the words have completely different meaning if you study the language and cultural context which you stubbornly refuse to do. You don't want an answer. You just want to present a "gotcha" verse to Christians.

If you truly wanted to understand why God is saying such things, maybe you could ummm start with reading the entire chapter 12 and first see that God is talking specifically to David and only David and it is in regards to punishing David for his horrible sin. But you don't want to dig because that would take away your "gotcha". Well it is simply intellectually dishonest to assume things like marriage in David's time was viewed and operated exactly the same way as marriage in our modern society.
Yes, I suspected someone would go down that road, that it was all about David. I knew that before posting this. You forget, Jeff, I've numerous courses in comparative religions, read and compared the bible in two languages, and read an eight volume bible commentary. I KNOW context.

So, now that we have that out of the way, tell me something.

What about the women? Did they not count? What the heck did THEY do to be threatened with the public raping. And since when, no matter what, can one condone that kind of immorality anyway?

Old 03-07-2016, 12:40 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:

Why?
Holy Cow! Are you DEFENDING this beast! Perhaps you should do some reflection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality