Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 07:25 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,932,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You have made a good decision CGirl.
Debating with those that would be so mentally strange to critique the actions (even individual specific incidents) of an entity they don't even believe exists is never going to be fruitful, and simply a waste of your time.

I may not embrace what you believe myself...but I understand that you do, and truly believe it.
If anything at all....I would simply note that I differ as to my position on the general veracity and reality of the stories. That is how I would debate it.
I don't ever see myself losing touch with my good sense and basic ability to reason to such a degree that I would argue the details of the actions of someone or something I didn't even think ever existed...not unless I suffer some mental impairment and no longer have command of my mind.

They only other explanation that makes sense, is that it is a indirect way to insult, mock, and demonstrate hatred toward others with differing viewpoints.
You are making a sensible choice to disengage.
It is not the entity we critique, Goldie, it is those that think that they should be a slave to an invisible entity, and worse, think and demand that others, who have no believe in that entity, should also be subject to the rules dreamed up.

Big difference. How can one critique an entity we don't believe exists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:49 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,949,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
This is my last post here Cupper, but I want to answer your question. Please do not ask me another, because I will not be answering it, I'm afraid. Nothing on you personally, it's just not a forum I can learn much in, or have civil conversation in, taken as a whole.

Just like I have to go to Darwin's time to attempt to understand him, people have to go to Jesus' time to understand him. Jesus lived at a transition point between worshiping the one God, and the birth of Christianity 4 BC - 30-33 AD. In that time, probably since the dawn of man straight through to today slavery has existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolit...avery_timeline

The Rabbi Jesus was Jewish and lived under Levitical Law. Levitical Law is found in Leviticus in the Old Testament and in the Torah.

Every tribal and ancient culture practiced slavery. Ultimately, is it right? No.

Were the Jews racist about it? No. Jews were just as likely to be slaves as gentiles were, the difference being their Jewish masters were to set them free after 7 years. A gentile could be a slave for life, I think.

Has slavery been abolished to date? No. There are still slaves in the world and places you can go buy slaves.

The United Kingdom about a year ago passed their Modern Slavery Act of 2015. It addresses human trafficking.

Thanks for the discussion, Cupper.

Take care.
You're right Coney, one is not going to learn much when one takes a verse out of the bible and expect to understand it fully that is why there are previous and subsequent verses, it is foolish to go on so little information. That is why I and others have offered up the story and it falls on deaf ears.

Even though this happened many years ago it shows that we are like David in certain ways as we let our guard down and let temptation overtake us. Man is a sinful creature, our garments are like filthy rags, we intend to do the right thing but that sin is out to get us right around the corner

Old 03-21-2016, 07:14 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,868,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The animal kingdom doesn't subscribe to a sense of morality either.
Animals can tell right from wrong - Telegraph
Do Animas Know Right From Wrong?
Do animals have morals and show empathy? | World | News | The Independent

....not that you'll actually read them.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:55 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,868,840 times
Quote:
I OTOH, I'm not going to go against my faith and start believing that homosexuality is good either. I will preach that it is sin, ....
Your problem is that your Bible doesn't say that homosexuality as we know it, is a sin. What your Bible is talking about when it says that you are not to lie with a man as you do with a women, is the then accepted practice of ritual male sex with male temple prostitutes and pederasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
God's son, Jesus Christ of Nazareth.....
Nazareth did not exist at the time your Jesus is alleged to have lived.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:12 AM

33,563 posts, read 37,165,415 times
Quote:
Your side does it all the time when you crow on about how many scientists support evolution.
Not the same...Science has evidence.... Your side has only fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality