Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 08:53 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Oh, well, since you don't say it to their face, that makes it all better!

Do you not think those teens can read? They could be on this very site reading about how much you hate gay people and how little they matter. As badlander posted above, you do that to people here DAILY. You like to act holier than thou, but the fact is, you are just as bad, or worse, than anyone else on here.
You don't have any room to talk. You have been extremely directly insulting to me on numerous occassions. Stating one's belief on a topic is not bullying someone directly. That would be like having a dinner conversation where the family agrees that robbing banks is wrong. Uncle Bob is a bank robber. Therefore we just bullied and ran down Uncle Bob specifically. There is a difference.

Quote:

You say that you wouldn't tell them that, I presume to their face, but you do so on this site every single day. Very little of what you say on this forum could be construed as "out of a spirit of love". No one is saying that you have to believe it is good, but you don't have to actively try to deny them rights, or talk about how terrible you think it is on a daily basis either.
If you are going to post things that are not true about my faith and the Bible, I'm going to defend them. It doesn't matter if I handle the topic with a feather touch or cut right to the bone, the end result is always the same with your side.

Quote:

You don't have to tell people to deny who they are to make yourself and your petty God feel better, either. Maybe it isn't "bullying" per se, but it is certainly not kind. It is certainly something that could make people think less of themselves, or even something that could cause someone to have depression issues or something similar.

Regardless of what you call it, what you do is no better than the bully calling them names at school.

And you don't need to be denying my religious freedom or telling me that I worship a sky fairy. That is disrespectful and uncalled for, but in reality, it is only a projection of the deep bitterness that you hold towards God. I stick by my earlier point. The only reason atheists are so defensively and apparently ONLY defensive of gays is because it is the quickest easiest route to scapegoat Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 09:45 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The god of the bible is one immoral dude. Anyone who believes or teaches the unmoral utterances of this animal, because that is all that god is, has the moral turpitude of Catholic bishops who hide pedophilia priests.

Over the top commentary?

Nope, not at all. We all know the story of Lot's daughters, which is bad enough.

In 2 Samuel 12:11-12 that horrible entity threatens husbands with taking their wives, and giving them to other males to RAPE IN FULL PUBLIC VIEW.

What kind of animal does this? What kind of twisted logic must anyone go to support this? How COULD you, whether your are a parent or a church leader. The most disgusting violence against an innocent women? How can you think in any way shape or form that this is moral, right, or justified?
The Story of Nathan Rebuking David.

A) No one actually raped anybody.

B) You have to take things in context to understand them, and not just pick one line out and run with it in and of itself.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...12&version=NIV



2 Samuel 12New International Version (NIV)

Nathan Rebukes David

12 The Lord sent Nathan to David. When he came to him, he said, “There were two men in a certain town, one rich and the other poor. 2 The rich man had a very large number of sheep and cattle, 3 but the poor man had nothing except one little ewe lamb he had bought. He raised it, and it grew up with him and his children. It shared his food, drank from his cup and even slept in his arms. It was like a daughter to him.

4 “Now a traveler came to the rich man, but the rich man refrained from taking one of his own sheep or cattle to prepare a meal for the traveler who had come to him. Instead, he took the ewe lamb that belonged to the poor man and prepared it for the one who had come to him.”

5 David burned with anger against the man and said to Nathan, “As surely as the Lord lives, the man who did this must die! 6 He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity.”

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more. 9 Why did you despise the word of the Lord by doing what is evil in his eyes? You struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and took his wife to be your own. You killed him with the sword of the Ammonites. 10 Now, therefore, the sword will never depart from your house, because you despised me and took the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your own.’

11 “This is what the Lord says: ‘Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity on you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will sleep with your wives in broad daylight. 12 You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.’”

13 Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.”

Nathan replied, “The Lord has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. 14 But because by doing this you have shown utter contempt for[a] the Lord, the son born to you will die.”...

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 03-17-2016 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 10:07 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
This needs to get back on topic, great story in the bible especially when you read more than one verse. David is a sinner, a man brought down by temptation who at first had all good intentions of being a great king but attention was redirected to a beautiful gorgeous woman whose naked body made him madly desirous for her, however in reality it was lust not love. His efforts were redirected to Bathsheba and not on the war. David had sent Bathsheba's husband Uriah off to war, so he could have alone time with her but it backfired as she became pregnant. Then David tries to cover up his mistakes by telling Uriah to visit his wife for a short time where it would appear he did the deed but refused to accept David's offer. This infuriated David and sent Uriah back in to the war on the front lines and then had the General back off and leave Uriah all alone with no support and was eventually killed in battle.

Your sins will find you out as much as you think you can cover them up, that is why we always need to be on our guard. Are we doing what is pleasing to God or are we living in the darkness hidden from God. There is an example in the bible where an imagery of sin is brought in to the light directed towards David to show him how ugly sin is when it is brought out of darkness. Here he should be above reproach as a great king and yet he is committing numerous sins. Are we doing what is right in our lives or are we trying to cover up our sins ?

David probably went to Heaven but he paid a big price for his sins, four-fold(one being the death of his new born son) to be exact as brought out by Nathan's Parable, while on Earth

Last edited by perry335654; 03-17-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 10:53 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And you don't need to be denying my religious freedom or telling me that I worship a sky fairy. That is disrespectful and uncalled for, but in reality, it is only a projection of the deep bitterness that you hold towards God. I stick by my earlier point. The only reason atheists are so defensively and apparently ONLY defensive of gays is because it is the quickest easiest route to scapegoat Christians.
Do you know why the admittedly derisive terms like 'sky fairy' are used, Jeff?

They are not used to directly against you as a person, they are used, or at least I use them that way, because many of us who are atheists, or better said, anti-theists, do not see the difference between the faith in a magical god, Santa Claus, leprechauns, devils, angels or any other sort of mystical entity.

To us they are all the same; imaginary. Just because billions of believe in the same entities does not make them true. So, yes, I have called that magical faith thinking a sky fairy, and other type of different invented entities.

No one can *prove* that your god does not exist, but then, you can't prove the faeries in Ireland don't exist either. And from personal experience, there are many, many people there, both Catholic and Protestant, who fervently believe in "the wee folk", and are fearful of them.

Be a good person, revere other humans and the nature we all depend on, and don't try and impose your brand of faith on society, and no one will have an issue with that.

It's pretty simple actually. No sky fairies needed.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:17 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
You don't have any room to talk. You have been extremely directly insulting to me on numerous occassions. Stating one's belief on a topic is not bullying someone directly. That would be like having a dinner conversation where the family agrees that robbing banks is wrong. Uncle Bob is a bank robber. Therefore we just bullied and ran down Uncle Bob specifically. There is a difference.
Maybe I have. Then again, "Stating one's belief on a topic is not bullying someone directly." I am merely stating what I believe. Do I go about it in a way that isn't always the right way? Sure. I am only human. I have also tried to have civil conversations with you in the past, and they always end up with you getting huffy and offended, whether I did anything offensive or not. So now, I just don't try very hard with you.

I'll make a deal with you. I will be more civil towards you, when you are more civil towards atheists and gay people. Deal?

Quote:
If you are going to post things that are not true about my faith and the Bible, I'm going to defend them. It doesn't matter if I handle the topic with a feather touch or cut right to the bone, the end result is always the same with your side.

In fact, it does matter. You never use a "feather touch". You always accuse people of saying things they did not say, or you go right off the cliff with the nonsense. One can not have a good conversation with someone who does that.

I am not trying to "run you down" or "bully" you here, Jeff, so please understand that. You need to learn how to not be offended by everything. Believe it or not, we are willing to have civil conversations with you, but you take offense to every single thing we say. If we say anything about the Bible we are God hating heathens. If we say anything about fundamentalists, we are against God. If we are to have a civil conversation with you, then it has to go both ways.

At some point, you have to realize that if you have 20 people who approach you the same way I do, there is only one common denominator, and it isn't atheism.

Quote:

I am not denying your religious freedom. No one is, in fact. Are you not free to practice your religion freely? I have never said sky fairy, at least that I can remember, but there have been times where I have called it an imaginary friend. I am sorry if this offends you, but it is no more an insult than what you call non believers and gay people.

We are not defensive about your God, or your religion. We simply want you to keep it as far away from our schools and the public sphere as possible. I do not hate that which I do not believe in. See Jeff, this last paragraph perfectly sums up what I am talking about. You consistently show no ability or regard to learn what people actually think, and instead substitute what you WANT them to be thinking.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:38 AM

15 posts, read 27,450 times
My daughter was touched by him when she went over their one day. The court daughters had done nothing by it bc I was in jail at the time. I did not pray over her bcshe is not here right now. I talk to my daughter all the time so that she doesn't think that it was ok or fogrgot about it. I def do not think its ok.AT ALL!!

Old 03-17-2016, 06:15 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Do you know why the admittedly derisive terms like 'sky fairy' are used, Jeff?

They are not used to directly against you as a person, they are used, or at least I use them that way, because many of us who are atheists, or better said, anti-theists, do not see the difference between the faith in a magical god, Santa Claus, leprechauns, devils, angels or any other sort of mystical entity.

To us they are all the same; imaginary. Just because billions of believe in the same entities does not make them true. So, yes, I have called that magical faith thinking a sky fairy, and other type of different invented entities.

No one can *prove* that your god does not exist, but then, you can't prove the faeries in Ireland don't exist either. And from personal experience, there are many, many people there, both Catholic and Protestant, who fervently believe in "the wee folk", and are fearful of them.

Be a good person, revere other humans and the nature we all depend on, and don't try and impose your brand of faith on society, and no one will have an issue with that.

It's pretty simple actually. No sky fairies needed.
Wow...so very close to it, and you didn't put the "Easter Bunny" on your list of childish entities you ignorantly conflate with GOD.
Ur slippin' cupper!!

Old 03-17-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Wow...so very close to it, and you didn't put the "Easter Bunny" on your list of childish entities you ignorantly conflate with GOD.
Ur slippin' cupper!!
You can have all the faith you want in whatever magical thinking that makes you feel good, just don't pretend that it is important to everyone else. Or relevant.

It isn't. It's only becomes an issue and important when people want to impose their version of woo on the secular society. Go read the thread of the 10 Reasons that people invented religion.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:24 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
The Story of Nathan Rebuking David.

A) No one actually raped anybody.

B) You have to take things in context to understand them, and not just pick one line out and run with it in and of itself.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...12&version=NIV



2 Samuel 12New International Version (NIV)

Nathan Rebukes David

12 The Lord sent Nathan to David. When he came to him, he said, “There were two men in a certain town, one rich and the other poor. 2 The rich man had a very large number of sheep and cattle, 3 but the poor man had nothing except one little ewe lamb he had bought. He raised it, and it grew up with him and his children. It shared his food, drank from his cup and even slept in his arms. It was like a daughter to him.

4 “Now a traveler came to the rich man, but the rich man refrained from taking one of his own sheep or cattle to prepare a meal for the traveler who had come to him. Instead, he took the ewe lamb that belonged to the poor man and prepared it for the one who had come to him.”

5 David burned with anger against the man and said to Nathan, “As surely as the Lord lives, the man who did this must die! 6 He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity.”

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more. 9 Why did you despise the word of the Lord by doing what is evil in his eyes? You struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and took his wife to be your own. You killed him with the sword of the Ammonites. 10 Now, therefore, the sword will never depart from your house, because you despised me and took the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your own.’

11 “This is what the Lord says: ‘Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity on you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will sleep with your wives in broad daylight. 12 You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.’”

13 Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.”

Nathan replied, “The Lord has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. 14 But because by doing this you have shown utter contempt for[a] the Lord, the son born to you will die.”...
Hey guys. I did not bother to look up the bible quote and took it at face value. Seeing it in context is rather revealing!

I do find it strange that none of the fundies highlighted it right at the beginning? Don't they know their own bible? But they did protest about being taken out of context and we (I) ignored them. We should check our facts before pointing fingers at them.

Thanks for straightening things out, ConeyGirl52.

But it was a good thread just the same!

Last edited by 303Guy; 03-17-2016 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Hey guys. I did not bother to look up the bible quote and took it at face value. Seeing it in context is rather revealing!

I do find it strange that none of the fundies highlighted it right at the beginning? Don't they know their own bible? But they did protest about being taken out of context and we (I) ignored them. We should check our facts before pointing fingers at them.

Thanks for straightening things out, ConeyGirl52.

But it was a good thread just the same!
Yes, I am glad she included the part that started this whole thread. The part where god said he would have the women, who DID NOTHING TO WARRANT ANY RETRIBUTION, to be raped.
Treating the women like property, as if it was just another log of wood to be burnt.

What context is that righteous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality