Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 12:25 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Finch View Post
There are moments when God hides His face from us and appears to be deaf to our prayers! He is asking us: 'How desperate are you? How hungry are you?

Our knowledge is limited in front of God's knowledge.

We don't know everything

....... it is possible that you dislike a thing which is good for you, and that you love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knows, and you know not..
Quran 2:216
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 02:42 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

So quite trying to obfuscate the plain and obvious meaning when someone points out that a loving parent figure acts like a loving parent, not an indifferent turd. That is not the same as saying that a loving parent never says no.
To that end....and specifically the bold....even getting an unambiguous response of "no" is at least confirmation of a lesson intended to be learned from. Reading the tea leaves of not having your loved ones cancer cured....each and every day....would be sadistic.

Imagine teaching a history class lesson by NOT teaching history.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:41 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,101 times
God is spirit although He manifested Himself in Jesus, voice, burning bush and via His Spirit ( Holy Spirit).

Old 05-24-2016, 10:09 AM

611 posts, read 281,365 times
Quote:
Competent parents can tell the difference between childish requests and and real pain and suffering or jeopardy that they might experience. We are not talking about god failing to solve our first world problems as in "thank you Lord for finding my car keys" or "praise god for getting me a raise" -- which are the kinds of things believers often testify as evidence of answered prayer, by the way -- we are talking about things like people who have terminal cancer (and their spouses and children) begging for their lives. We are talking about someone with paranoid schizophrenia begging for their sanity. We are talking about someone with untreatable illness and pain to have a decent quality of life in which they can fully participate.

The analog with children is not a demand to stay up late, but a cry for help when they fall out the window and are hanging on by their fingernails. As a parent you would not be excused for not running to their rescue, yet believers pretty consistently excuse god, who Moves In Mysterious Ways and Calls His Angels Home and so forth.

So quite trying to obfuscate the plain and obvious meaning when someone points out that a loving parent figure acts like a loving parent, not an indifferent turd. That is not the same as saying that a loving parent never says no.

My God tells me he is sorry you covered the earth in DDT, and covered thousands of people with agent orange, built nuclear power plants that have vast leakage, continuous oil spills and leakages upon land and water and poisoned the air we breathe...he is sorry you cheat, rob, steal, and murder each other...all the deeds of man, and some pulp like you thinks it's God's fault?

And I don't think you know anything at all about what I think about God. And what do you even know about parenting? You don't teach your children, you let some beast system do that. And when they come home you ask, "What did you learn today?" but you will never know.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,346 times
Bizarre

Old 05-24-2016, 11:16 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
My God tells me he is sorry you covered the earth in DDT, and covered thousands of people with agent orange, built nuclear power plants that have vast leakage, continuous oil spills and leakages upon land and water and poisoned the air we breathe...he is sorry you cheat, rob, steal, and murder each other...all the deeds of man, and some pulp like you thinks it's God's fault?
Are you suggesting that cancer, natural disasters and knock-on famines and the like didn't exist before we invented pesticides and nuclear power?

And are you still trying to conflate the natural consequences of unwise / immature / self absorbed / greedy actions with the failure of a responsible parent to intervene when a child is in existential jeopardy? That is incredibly disingenuous of you.

God doesn't owe individuals or humanity collectively a thing except that according to most believers he has obligated himself to humanity via certain promises of protection, comfort, and reward in exchange for fealty. You prefer to focus on vulnerability, discomfort an punishment because there is so much more of that in the world and it's easier to explain why god suggests that he rewards the righteous and then doesn't.

I can think right off the top of my head of two righteous people (married once, elder of the church, acclaimed by one and all as a Good Christian) who nevertheless died young, horribly and in unimaginable pain. Despite prayer, Bible study, devotion to god, and righteous living. But I know, I know, "mysterious ways", "calling his angels home", yadda yadda.
Quote:
And I don't think you know anything at all about what I think about God.
Except that I do, because you have expressed it right here.
Quote:
And what do you even know about parenting? You don't teach your children, you let some beast system do that. And when they come home you ask, "What did you learn today?" but you will never know.
I don't teach them all the things that you would approve of, doubtless, but I actually home-schooled mine up to high school level. They both went on to full ride academic scholarships in college, so I must know a little something about that aspect of parenting. Oh, whoops ... they went to the "beast system" I guess with those scholarships. I take it you aren't in favor of a college education. Not surprising.

But no matter, anyone can see that if you have to resort to personal attacks and demonization of people you are having a conversation with, you have no actual contribution to make other than the usual authoritarian / judgmental shibboleths of your tribe.

Keep it up; you are doing more than I ever could to turn people away from your beliefs.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:19 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Bizarre
But not atypical. God speaks to him, and amazingly, god completely agrees with him and his views. Amazing that he never gets castigated by god for such behavior, innit?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that cancer, natural disasters and knock-on famines and the like didn't exist before we invented pesticides and nuclear power?

And are you still trying to conflate the natural consequences of unwise / immature / self absorbed / greedy actions with the failure of a responsible parent to intervene when a child is in existential jeopardy? That is incredibly disingenuous of you.

God doesn't owe individuals or humanity collectively a thing except that according to most believers he has obligated himself to humanity via certain promises of protection, comfort, and reward in exchange for fealty. You prefer to focus on vulnerability, discomfort an punishment because there is so much more of that in the world and it's easier to explain why god suggests that he rewards the righteous and then doesn't.

I can think right off the top of my head of two righteous people (married once, elder of the church, acclaimed by one and all as a Good Christian) who nevertheless died young, horribly and in unimaginable pain. Despite prayer, Bible study, devotion to god, and righteous living. But I know, I know, "mysterious ways", "calling his angels home", yadda yadda.

Except that I do, because you have expressed it right here.

I don't teach them all the things that you would approve of, doubtless, but I actually home-schooled mine up to high school level. They both went on to full ride academic scholarships in college, so I must know a little something about that aspect of parenting. Oh, whoops ... they went to the "beast system" I guess with those scholarships. I take it you aren't in favor of a college education. Not surprising.

But no matter, anyone can see that if you have to resort to personal attacks and demonization of people you are having a conversation with, you have no actual contribution to make other than the usual authoritarian / judgmental shibboleths of your tribe.

Keep it up; you are doing more than I ever could to turn people away from your beliefs.
You are so far out of the ballpark, who the heck knows what you are talking about?
I don't care if the whole world believes like you, I'll just step out off this. Whatever anyone thinks or anyone believes, I don't care. Who can even bare to read that unpleasant stuff you rant and rant?

Am I alone here? What have I done or said to deserve this? I made a couple posts here, demonize who?
I make no actual contribution...than...than...Why would I come back to this forum to continue this? I'm unwelcomed here? Do I really deserve this? Why would I want to return? I'm sorry I bothered you guys.
I don't feel too secure here, think maybe mordant is right, no body wants to hear anything I have to say anyhow...so I guess I should give you guys a break and leave your forum if you don't want to hear what I have to offer.

And mordant you just keep on guessing and guessing and guessing about other people, I doubt anyone could read that stuff you write. Bland and unpleasant...but that's just my opinion if I had the right to have one here.

-

Old 05-24-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Bizarre
You really that offended eh? What I wrote makes no sense to you?

Old 05-24-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
But not atypical. God speaks to him, and amazingly, god completely agrees with him and his views. Amazing that he never gets castigated by god for such behavior, innit?
If you knew anything at all, you'd know I'm speaking to you right now that same way God's words speak to anyone that reads them. You don't know anything that you are running your mouth about other that you're guessing and your assuming and just plain stupid.

God is in agreement with his word. God doesn't agree with me. I understand God's word and agree with it. God doesn't punish anyone, he might give a warning, but he always let you decide your own actions. God never decides for anyone, he lets you decide, and if you decide to poison the earth...how could he stop you. What do you think he could do? If you want to kill each other, he doesn't like it, but how could he stop you? God is a spirit, the spirit of goodwill. What could the spirit of goodwill do? Man has the spirit of war and murder, what could that evil spirit do? You don't think you could get caught up in the spirit of war? Yet you do. And there is that spirit of the love of money, dancing around that golden cash cow, the real god to today. Dance and do whatever money requires you to do. Cash is king. Money can save your day, your very lives. That's the spirit you are educated to serve. Spirits dwell in men, good and evil, only one of those spirits belongs to God. And the spirit of God is the same spirit of Christ, the spirit of Good Will. And you mordant are ignorant of everything in this book because never even read it or never came to understand what you were reading. You just run your mouth with your unbaked accusations and wildassassumptions.

You don't know nothing about me and your assumptions are absurd.

But you're probably right, nobody wants to hear from me, or do they really care. I
So if I leave, it is because you don't want me here. Not because I have nothing to say.

Some thought cop here trying to do nothing, but run someone off.
To shut someone up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality