Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:26 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I agree, but have you noticed? We just aren't getting the same quality of argument. Those with a sound argument method, at least have apparently disappeared and only the fantasists and denialists are still fielding fantasy claims about the Unknowns as Evidence.
Yes, and I don't know whether it's happenstance of if we've worn down the Usual Suspects and are just awaiting fresh meat, so to speak. But you're right, we are down to unusually disordered thinking with conspiracy theories mixed in. It's not as much fun as someone making at least a minimal effort to appear rational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 01:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
Glad that you admit you don't have a good IQ to do your speculation. Faith remains the only efficient way for humans reach a truth of any kind, it may out of your mediocre IQ to realize though.
You may judge for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
Blind man can't see color, I'm not sure how anyone could explain what a color is to a man that has never seen anything before. It's that no tangible physical evidence thing some guys wave like a flag. And what evidence could you ever have that he knows what red it? Blind man guessing?

I wonder what Faith MyPD has...I wouldn't assume anything myself? Guesses ain't good, or so I heard.

What false claim, I wonder? I don't even have a guess.

Yep, it is bad reasoning if you only have one option to chose from; not bad reasoning to opt for one over another no matter how many you have. Maybe one after the next if the first didn't work out. But don't count on anyone else doing that for you.

I have a little Faith in common sense, a bit more if reasoning is involved, and even more once experience and wisdom joins in...and if that don't work out, I'm not ashamed to say I try calling upon Air Support. Come to think, that is my Faith Based-preference.

Instead of attacking the problem, we attack each other?

If I ever make any friends, I'll probably lose 'em quick. My life is my wife, married at birth...It's my life, I'm not giving it away, I'll do what I want with it, say what I want, no matter how bad you make me feel.

I'm just talking to myself and recording this memory in case I ever come back out of that black hole so I'll recognize me -- You go in alive, you come out alive? You never really die? TIREDNONSENSEGUY must have implied that by mistake.

Maybe I misunderstood TIREDNONSENSEGUY's theory, you could check it out and see. You might like that one more than the one I posted...but really it fits right into it. Big Bang Bam, thank you black hole. No purpose and meaningless. Again later on, Big Bang Bam, I Am, thank you black hole ma'am, completely mindless and no purpose. And not too long after that, *You arrive. You go into the black hole alive, and you come out alive...okay, now I'm wondering if that's really what he said...sounds like it might be true.

Whatever, I BELIEVE we will decide for ourselves what to think, some of us anyhow. I'm probably better off if nobody understands what I say anyhow.

I wish someone else would else post another theory of their -- TRUE REALITY.
--B sumpt 2 reed, sumpt to consider, true or not, options ain't bad--

-
Bottom line is - we know there is colour, so someone who does not belieive in Black Holes because he has never has them explained to him would be unable to comprehend something that exists. The analogy would be correct, because the evidence for black holes has been validated. But that does not justify ( by analogy) that anyone is wrong or mistaken in not believing in something, the existence of which has not been validated.

Mystic's claim is that is mystical experience is a knowledge of God. I say that has not been validated as thee are other good (if or better) explanations. That applies to all claims where the claim has not been validated. This is of course why such a lot of effort goes into trying to validate the God -claim. We get the claim that Faith in something that has not been validated is valid. It is not. Sometimes faith itself is proposed as validation of the claim. It is not.

Anyone can have faith in something. We can say it's irrational, but it's their call. But when they propose to us that it's valid in any way for us, it is going to be rejected as illogical and irrational. Faith is not a good reason to believe anything particular thing is true.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:01 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Just because you are deprived of any personal evidence in the area of the unknowns does not justify your pretense and insistence that no one else does. You are the handicapped one, Arq. You are the color blind man denying the existence of color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There is nothing wrong with your head or your erudition, other than Faith is screwing it up so even a unqualified and mediocre IQ bod like myself can make mincemeat of your Case.
I am sure we passed the second-hand validation arguments long ago, Arq. There is no refuting them. I am referring to personal evidence sufficient to know with personal certainty. Just because you have not had any such self-validating experiences, you have no basis to deny that anyone else has. Your skepticism does not constitute a basis for refuting them, just for not believing them.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:21 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
-As is likely to be my conclusion after reading overall that I did read, and visited a little.
I am trying to make sense of this. After reading overall that you did read, and visited a little. What did you read and what did you visit?
Quote:
All these dollhouse realities that I read about seem to be pretty fragile in this bubble where nothing stays the same and is always changing from one form into another in the cycling of the universe in which nothing is known to have ever escaped.
Can you please define what a dollhouse reality is?
Quote:
And what does the functioning of it has to do with reality?
The functioning of what?
Quote:
What is reality? My daily existence is my reality...all these dollhouse realities would be more in the sub-reality category tossing and turning and not all that much to do with my reality...but you like to call it Fantasy.
Again can you define dollhouse reality?

Who are you accusing of calling your reality Fantasy?

Old 08-24-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I am sure we passed the second-hand validation arguments long ago, Arq. There is no refuting them. I am referring to personal evidence sufficient to know with personal certainty. Just because you have not had any such self-validating experiences, you have no basis to deny that anyone else has. Your skepticism does not constitute a basis for refuting them, just for not believing them.
Nobody refutes the experiences themselves, Mystic. They are well -known. What they signify is disputed, and that there may be other explanations than an experience of "God" (whatever that is taken to mean) is what is not refuted except in the form of Faith -based rejection. It is easy to claim a personal experience as all the proof one needs, and it may that you are correct, but you may also be wrong. I see no reason to take your assurances as valid. And certainly not your crafty attempt to persuade me that I had been convinced but had forgotten. Rather you seem to have forgotten that I stuffed your "validation" arguments rotten. Repeatedly.

That, rather than a personal experience for myself is what counts, rationally, and indeed there are many accounts of people who have had what they considered experiences of God at the time who came later on to realize that they had believed in error and became non -believers. Who can be sure? What is sure is that nobody is really sure. Some just believe that they are.

P.s Caling all Folks, I do try to correct my typos, but I type at a helluva rate on a tiny keyboard (I can plug in either a keyboard or a mouse, not both) and my eyes are not so good anymore. So apologies for having to work out what the hell I was trying to say, sometimes.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-24-2016 at 04:50 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I..
Can you please define what a dollhouse reality is?
The functioning of what?

Again can you define dollhouse reality?

I suspect it is the current flavour of the month arguments for Theism - appeal to Unknowns and Faith -based claims that they are known to be true on Revelation.

Quote:
Who are you accusing of calling your reality Fantasy?
Tha is the general refutation - that, for all we know, their Faith -in what their revelations about the Unknown tell them - are fantasy. We have only to look of the Christianity forum to see that what is Revealed to them is not always agreed, let alone verified.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,649 times
Quote:
Blind man can't see color, I'm not sure how anyone could explain what a color is to a man that has never seen anything before. It's that no tangible physical evidence thing some guys wave like a flag. And what evidence could you ever have that he knows what red it? Blind man guessing?
When a person lacks a sense that you have, it is quite possible to explain to them using the senses they do have.
How to Describe a Color to a Blind Person: 7 Steps

And since we have identified the senses of sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch...and you are asserting to have a sense others do not....perhaps you could elucidate this other sense in compelling ways using the senses we do have.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 PM

611 posts, read 281,469 times
---0---

I
think what we have going on here is - RAW WildAssReality
If we could just stop all that bloodshed

Show us your True Reality...What's it like? Give us another option, option B, in case we need a backup reality...come on. Wouldn't hurt to try, what else we got to do? Anything besides running on down that Black Hole Road...or is that the one you like? Well, here we are continuing onwards in this short space of time that we have left...

---0---

Old 08-24-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
When a person lacks a sense that you have, it is quite possible to explain to them using the senses they do have.
How to Describe a Color to a Blind Person: 7 Steps

And since we have identified the senses of sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch...and you are asserting to have a sense others do not....perhaps you could elucidate this other sense in compelling ways using the senses we do have.
Whew, I could walk the 7 Steps a lot easier than that.

What sense have I asserted to have that others do not? I don't think that is true. I'm just trying to show you peoples something...what sense am I asserting I have that others don't...Instead of telling you something, I'm trying to show you something...you and the whole world.

I have asserted what, show me my words.

Anyhow...with tropical smell for the color orange = a somewhat altered reality?

Good info though, too much to read for me, just one glance gave me the idea, shallow as it may be. But I got something from it. Like how to start if ever necessary. All the people I know have blind minds eye. Their eyes are open, their mind's eye is blind, they can't see...any link to help with that? They can't see intangible words that have no physical presence and only exists in the mind, like God, 7 Days a Week, Good and Evil, purpose...and many more. They shut their ears. These things are only a figment of your imagination. Go figure...Thanks for the small conversation.

-

Old 08-24-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Quite good and very clear points. Easy read.

For myself, I would put it: I am referring to personal experience sufficient to know with near almost certainty. But your sight is quite good, I believe that personal, makes it a true statement. You are convinced whether anyone else is or not. I'm like that on a quite few things.

Good and pleasant read. Fun to know you.

-

-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality