Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:27 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Vizio, I can tell from your posts that you are an intelligent person.
Ask yourself a simple question.
Exactly how much of Lord Jesus direct words is there in the new testament? Like none, right?
Actually you are quite wrong.

In my Bible program I searched for the exact phrase "Jesus said" and found 92 verses with 93 matches.

None of the writers of the four accounts say: "I think Jesus said this or that." No. They are direct quotes from the Master.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 06:32 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Actually you are quite wrong.

In my Bible program I searched for the exact phrase "Jesus said" and found 92 verses with 93 matches.

None of the writers of the four accounts say: "I think Jesus said this or that." No. They are direct quotes from the Master.
By that logic if I can find 100 times in JK Rowling's corpus that read "Harry said", then Harry Potter must have really said it. After all, they are direct quotes.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:50 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
By that logic if I can find 100 times in JK Rowling's corpus that read "Harry said", then Harry Potter must have really said it. After all, they are direct quotes.
Harry said it from where ?__________
Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, " it is written....." Written where but in the old Hebrew Scriptures.
Jesus explains the old Hebrew Scriptures for us.
In other words, there are corresponding cross-reference verses and passages baking up Jesus' logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:57 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
One of the purposes of Christianity is, in the future, to have a part in the administration which will complement the eras before; to head up all in the Christ, both all in the heavens and all on the earth, (see Ephesians 1:9,10).

Not one being in the universe will be left out.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Just curious what everyone thinks Jesus wants us to do and be. This is NOT a question of how you think the visible church is acting today, but I want to know what you believe Jesus commanded the church to be and do.

Are we to just love everyone?

Are we to preach hate?

ARe we to preach something else?
Purpose of true Christianity is to bring together people of all sorts who are willing to worship God in spirit and truth and disown themselves by putting into practice the teachings of Gods son Jesus. Simply put you can hold to Christian values without being a hater

Old 05-27-2016, 08:03 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Purpose of true Christianity is to bring together people of all sorts who are willing to worship God in spirit and truth and disown themselves by putting into practice the teachings of Gods son Jesus.
In theory yes. In practice ... too many definitions of "worship", "spirit and truth", "teachings of Jesus" and their exact meanings and implications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Simply put you can hold to Christian values without being a hater
Sadly you can also hold to Christian values without being a lover, too. It just depends on which values you decide to hold to. For example when you talk about Jesus is it meek and mild kind and loving Jesus or angry whip-wielding, fig tree cursing, apocalyptic Jesus?

That is the beauty of holy books, they are vague enough for most anyone to read into them whatever they want.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:00 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Just curious what everyone thinks Jesus wants us to do and be. This is NOT a question of how you think the visible church is acting today, but I want to know what you believe Jesus commanded the church to be and do.

Are we to just love everyone?

Are we to preach hate?

ARe we to preach something else?
First of all, I want to be clear on who you're discussing here - are you getting Jesus mixed up with that fellow from Tarsus? Because I've never seen a very credible or persuasive argument that Jesus ever commanded "his" church to do or be anything - because I don't believe he ever gave any credible indication that he even intended to found a church in the first place.

In fact, he consistently taught his followers to reject churches and religious leaders; his message was that the kingdom of heaven already existed within each of us, and that the path to that kingdom was an individual path that already lay within each person who sought it. Jesus taught us that the path to the kingdom of heaven was to love - and, even more importantly, to forgive - one another, to love god and relate to god directly in whatever way felt most natural and authentic to each of us, to accept god's unconditional love for each of us and to honor, nurture, and amplify that love by reflecting it back toward others and sharing it with everyone we meet so that they, too, could come to learn it, understand it, and share it. The message Jesus taught was that love and forgiveness was the path to heaven (the only path to heaven), and that this path lay within each of us.

It wasn't until long after Jesus' death that Saul of Tarsus (more commonly known as Paul) reinterpreted Jesus' teachings and repackaged them into an entirely new message. Whereas Jesus spent his entire life clearly and consistently teaching that each of us had an individual path to heaven that did not require a religion to find it or follow it - and in fact, that we should question and even reject religious leaders who tried to force us to follow their dogma - Paul teaches that the path to heaven is one of atonement and redemption; that only by atoning for one's sins and seeking redemption within the context of the church's dogma can one hope to enter the kingdom. This is the interpretation of christianity that is commonly accepted today by christians, but it has very little to do with the message that Christ was murdered for teaching to his followers.

So I don't know how to answer your question. If I am to answer the question that is asked in the thread title - that is, give an answer that reflects the purpose of what christianity in this day and age actually is - then I would have to say that it exists to control society by rewarding people for following church dogma and punishing them for following the actual teachings of Christ. I'm sorry; I know you specifically said that you did not want the answer to be about what the church is actually doing, but in reality, what else is the purpose other than what it is doing?

If I am to answer the question that is asked in the OP (which is very different from the question asked in the title) then I don't know if it's even possible to answer the question at all. He never attempted to found a church, so it would not have been possible for him to command the members of his church to do anything. If I were to answer the question in the context of what Jesus would want us to do (and in fact sacrificed his life to teach us), I would have to say that the purpose of Christ's teachings was to reject the religion that stole his name, because christianity is exactly what he spent and sacrificed his entire life teaching against.

The ironic truth is that if Christ were alive today, he would most certainly not be a christian. Christianity represents everything he fought against and taught against. In the eyes of Jesus, the most important commandment (and in the end, perhaps the only one that really mattered) was to love god, and in the act of so loving, love one another - because we are all brothers and sisters in the heart of god, and if you truly love god, then you must necessarily truly love all of humankind. If Christ came back today and tried to preach that same message once again, this time it would be the christians who crucified him.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 05-28-2016 at 06:18 AM..

Old 05-28-2016, 08:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
What do you base that on? I'm asking for actual documented proof -- like a Bible verse, not just your opinion of what CHristians believe.
Just look at its history...

Old 05-28-2016, 08:58 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
What do you base that on? I'm asking for actual documented proof -- like a Bible verse, not just your opinion of what CHristians believe.
The Torah is Judaism...Wipe out the Torah and you wipe out Judaism...Stop pretending that you don't know...

Old 05-28-2016, 09:03 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes. That is unequivocal. Christ was adamant about it. Absolutely NOT! Stopping people from harming OTHERS is NOT hate. Hate is a state of mind that must be avoided at all costs because it taints your Spirit.You are to BE something else and you can use words if you need to.
Great answers. Now can you give me any Bible verses to back up your statements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality