Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 03:09 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
we don't that if a god is there its indifferent.

maybe it can n sooner address our suffering than you can address a blood cell in you.
Then "Why call it God?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 03:55 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Then "Why call it God?".
Because it is responsible for the existence of everything, especially us and our consciousness and its inquisitiveness. Why ignore that because it does not meet your demands for what God SHOULD be?

Old 03-10-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because it is responsible for the existence of everything, especially us and our consciousness and its inquisitiveness. Why ignore that because it does not meet your demands for what God SHOULD be?
Because it has to meet the demand for forward -planning intelligence before you can persuade me to accept the God label, and I believe for you too. If it was just natural forces, 'nature' would be the term I'd use - and you too, I believe. "Cosmic Mind", remember?

Old 03-10-2019, 04:13 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
For the life of me I don't understand why we just can't use what we know.

The good news is I think most atheist don't have to deny everything and fully accept that we are surrounded by life. scientist are, and so will more people. Ok, so you call it god and I call it cool. so what? It doesn't change the fact that we need to keep stone aged teaching's out of our laws.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:24 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Because it has to meet the demand for forward -planning intelligence before you can persuade me to accept the God label, and I believe for you too. If it was just natural forces, 'nature' would be the term I'd use - and you too, I believe. "Cosmic Mind", remember?
But what you continue NOT to get is that our forward-planning intelligence and inquisitiveness cannot just "emerge" or "evolve" from unknown "natural" forces or processes that seem basically "dead." Those qualities are too unique and non-existent in the processes you ultimately want to pretend are responsible for them.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Then "Why call it God?".
Trans, it doesn't matter to me what you call it. I don't call it god. so long as the traits you are assigning it can be linked to what we know. for now, that's the periodic table, I don't really care.

heck, anything is better than dude died and rose for our sins. that does far more damage than calling the universe god.

do you see that explanation, mechanism, predictions, and repeatability are better measuring devices to weigh claims against than weighing claims based on how I feel about religion?

Old 03-10-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
ok, so your god needs forward thinking?

"nature", everything is nature. there is nothing not "nature". so now what?

would you be willing to compare our claims using a mechanism, explanation, prediction, and repeatability?
ones that have them are more valid than ones that don't.

thats it. thats all I have claimed.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
But what you continue NOT to get is that our forward-planning intelligence and inquisitiveness cannot just "emerge" or "evolve" from unknown "natural" forces or processes that seem basically "dead." Those qualities are too unique and non-existent in the processes you ultimately want to pretend are responsible for them.
but that's your need mystic.

If you will allow me to change your god field to human field. I know you don't mean humans, but I am unifying, it so to speak, so you can help me understand what you mean

To me, it makes no diference if we are a set of interactions or a we are a fundamental field.

why is that a requirement for you?

I mean in so far that we see everything as interactions between fields and yet you need humans to be a fundamental field?

Old 03-10-2019, 07:56 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
My daughters are in their 50's, Thrill. You are too quick to make these all-or-nothing assumptions. I believe the Bible CONTAINS inspirations from God interpreted by fallible men who lacked valid knowledge about reality, were superstitious and had savage and barbaric beliefs about God. Their mindset of that era accounts for the misinterpretations they had about God that Jesus corrected but their traditions, expectations, and agendas corrupted their understanding of Jesus and His demonstration of God's true nature. The spiritual is ALL ABOUT what is in our consciousness, NOT what is in our physical world. The Bible chronicles how we evolved our spiritual understanding of God, NOT what happened with worldly kingdoms or whatever. It is just one of many chronicles of our spiritual evolution in what I call the spiritual fossil record and you have identified some of the others. The underlying commonality that underlays these chronicles is the Savior or Avatar meme. I believe these similarities are the result of the overarching consciousness I encountered influencing our speculations about God. That is why my adoption of the Jesus narrative reflects my view that it is the most evolved of the Savior narratives and only needed a reinterpretation of its actual significance, NOT the barbaric blood sacrifice appeasement one in the mainstream.

All of the speculations in the spiritual fossil record reflect the evolution of our collective consciousness toward closer resonance with God's consciousness. The ultimate goal was for at least ONE of us (a Savior) to achieve perfect resonance (Identity) with God's consciousness so that the entire collective human consciousness would be connected (resonate) with God. I believe the consciousness I encountered is that perfect resonant consciousness and the descriptions and demonstration of the true nature of that consciousness in the Jesus narrative matched what I encountered perfectly. That is why I adopted it and follow the instructions of Jesus that are consistent with and compatible with the revealed "mind of God" in the "mind of Christ." The problem is your key assumption that intervention MUST occur in the physical realm and NOT the spiritual (consciousness). You, like most people, see our Reality as consisting of separate things, but it is all ONE thing, God. Imagine an intelligent cell in your own body trying to figure out what it is and what you (its God) are based on whether or not you intervene in its short cellular life. Our cells live and die largely without our intervention except when pain signals ("prayers") or disease afflicts them to such a degree that we are capable of intervening medically. Would that necessarily mean we were less of a God to our cells???

I'm glad you responded, Mystic because I think I understand where you're coming from much better now. I'd say on the spirituality scale you're much more advanced than I am, which is why I was probably misunderstanding you so frequently previously. You've found a way to make the New Testament/Jesus more sensible and I applaud you for it. I don't know if I'll ever get there because I am a kind of black-and white kind of guy. But since you've got about ten years on me maybe by then......

Old 03-10-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Mystic, you know very well that I was talking about the 'forward -planning intelligence of the universe' in creating everything. If you don't think it has one, then why call it 'God'. If you think it does, how do you validate that claim? You cannot do it with just an assertion that it isn't possible for our capabilities and nature to evolve naturally. the evolution of animal consciousness argues against such an assertion.

We have of course done this before - several times. I remember, even if you don't. But at least you are tackling the answer this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality