Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 02:32 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Best answer. It was rather a daft question. There's no way to predict where evolution will go. One reason is that humans have learned to adapt conditions to themselves, rather than let natural selection adapt them.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:45 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Best answer. It was rather a daft question. There's no way to predict where evolution will go.
How ironic.
Didn't we figure out the evolution chain already?
We created thousands of pictures that depict the evolution tree. We can clearly see the evolution flowcharts.

Scientific evidence is repeatable, so we should be able to tell EXACTLY what's gonna happen to this fish that has evolved to live out of water.

I was hoping you would tell me this fish will grow legs and a pair of gonads in the next 2 million years.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
How ironic.
Didn't we figure out the evolution chain already?
We created thousands of pictures that depict the evolution tree. We can clearly see the evolution flowcharts.

Scientific evidence is repeatable, so we should be able to tell EXACTLY what's gonna happen to this fish that has evolved to live out of water.

I was hoping you would tell me this fish will grow legs and a pair of gonads in the next 2 million years.
No, no. We know what happens in medicine and can predict how bodies react, but we can never tell who is going to get what diseases, because we can't know the circumstances ahead of time. 60 million years for Devonian fish to get onto land in Permian. And if you are talking gonads, you will have to wait to have mammals towards the end of the Triassic.

An evolution of that kind would take more than 2million years.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No, no. We know what happens in medicine and can predict how bodies react, but we can never tell who is going to get what diseases, because we can't know the circumstances ahead of time. 60 million years for Devonian fish to get onto land in Permian. And if you are talking gonads, you will have to wait to have mammals towards the end of the Triassic.

An evolution of that kind would take more than 2million years.
Aren't you contradicting yourself?

On one hand, you say you can't predict what's gonna happen to the fish that has evolved to walk on the earth, but then somehow you know that gonads will be formed in 2+ million years?

Old 06-24-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Aren't you contradicting yourself?

On one hand, you say you can't predict what's gonna happen to the fish that has evolved to walk on the earth, but then somehow you know that gonads will be formed in 2+ million years?
No, I'm saying nothing of the kind. I'm saying that we can speculate about the way evolution might go, but it is no more than speculation. No more reliable than we can guess where the future history of the human race may go. We can have a fairly good idea of what happened in the past, though in both cases, here are gaps, and even some rethinks. And we understand the forces that drive evolution better than the forces that drive history.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:39 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:

Some people say, humans will become dolphins, as the water level is rising, we will eventually learn how to live in water.
???

Who in the heck is saying that?

Quote:
But then the question is, what will become of the current day Dolphins?
I would expect most of them will have died by then. But their descendants will probably just continue to be... well, dolphins. Unless there's some compelling reason for them to change. They've been doin' the dolphin thang for over 50 million years, almost since the dinosaurs called it a day. Obviously it's working out rather well for them, and they seem to be pretty successful at it.

Quote:
You don't seem to understand the meaning of the word "repeatable." Perhaps that's a big part of why you have no comprehension of how evolution works.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:15 AM

I often compare the detective work of evolution science on the remaining clues (Fossils, Morphology and DNA) just as Forensic investigation provides evidence of what happened at a crime scene. But you can't expect Csi to be able to predict what the criminal would do after the crime. I do hope our pal will understand that being able to predict what would happen when you fired a particular type of bullet does not mean that you can predict where and how the user will use the gun again.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-25-2016 at 04:32 AM..

Old 06-25-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
???

Who in the heck is saying that?

Some of those who believe man came from a chimp and evolution is still happening.

What do you think? Will man become like an alien looking creature with those bug looking eyes, instead of Dolphins. Or you think, just like Dolphins, humans won't evolve anymore?

I would expect most of them will have died by then. But their descendants will probably just continue to be... well, dolphins. Unless there's some compelling reason for them to change. They've been doin' the dolphin thang for over 50 million years, almost since the dinosaurs called it a day. Obviously it's working out rather well for them, and they seem to be pretty successful at it.

If evolution is still going on then why did it stop on Dolphins, some 50 million years ago? What was so special about Dolphins that it made them stop evolving anymore?

And it also made you sure that Dolphins won't evolve anymore for next several million years unless there is a compelling reason? You must know a lot about Dolphins.

It's kinda fascinating that on one hand, as the OP says, a specie of fish has evolved to come out of water and live on land but on the other fish, like Dolphins, have stopped evolving 50 million years ago.

You don't seem to understand the meaning of the word "repeatable." Perhaps that's a big part of why you have no comprehension of how evolution works.

Please enlighten me as to what was does "repeatable" mean in scientific and non-scientic terms so not only I will learn the meaning but I will also learn the difference.
Answers in bold.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:37 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Answers in bold.

Some of those who believe man came from a chimp and evolution is still happening.
They do? From a chimp? Really? That's like saying your cousin is your great grandfather.

Well, if you hear anybody saying that, just correct them saying chimps and humans share a common ancestor just like they and their cousins share the same great grand father.

There are several animals that have been around for a long time, like crocodiles. Crocs have hardly changed in 65 million years.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Answers in bold.
Answers already given if you just read the posts again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
They do? From a chimp? Really? That's like saying your cousin is your great grandfather.

Well, if you hear anybody saying that, just correct them saying chimps and humans share a common ancestor just like they and their cousins share the same great grand father.

There are several animals that have been around for a long time, like crocodiles. Crocs have hardly changed in 65 million years.

Some like King Crabs, Nautilus and Coelacanth are even older. And Coelacanth is a transitional form. That has been happy enough in its' sea environment that it didn't need to use to use the lobe -find to try to walk on land.

Dolphins, whales and porpoises are mammals with mammalian features that clearly one lived o land but have adapted to the sea. They may be quite happy there and remain as they are for millions of years, but the way natural selection would suggest that they will lose the blowhole and adapt to a way of not needing to breathe air. How long did that take for whales?... well a couple of million years for Ambulocetus to a fully water -living creature. So that's the time -scale. I'd suggest that the advantage of losing the neet to surface -breathe is an environmental 'Push' we can predict.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-25-2016 at 04:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality