Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:16 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Why can't they all be correct? I have for many years believed in the personal revelatory spiritual experience that is meant for only one or a small number of people, as opposed to one person's experience being meant as the directive for entire masses down through the centuries. In my view, what you or Bernadette Peters experiences is meant for you or for Bernadette Peters, not necessarily for me. If I can read about it and gain some wisdom from it, great. If not, fine.

It is my personal belief that in a normal lifetime, we will all have at least one experience that, if not ignored or suppressed, will be our own personal revelatory experience. It is incumbent upon each of us to pay attention and recognize the divine in that experience. The more open we are, the more of these experiences we are likely to have.
A thoughtful response, but it doesn't really answer the question. People taking LSD, Peyote or similar stimulants have reported visions that moved them, but does that make them real? Are those visions replicatable? Was there an epileptic condition that contributed, as many suggest was the case in Paul's (the great salesman of christianity) wandering to Damascus?

Just because one experiences "spiritual" thoughts, does not make them real, although they can have a real impact on the person who go through them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:26 AM

22,194 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't see how it's possible to validate. ...Anyone can say anything, and anyone can "think" we've seen or heard something. ....there is no way to validate this. .....Would it be appropriate for everyone.... to believe my experience because although I can't validate it....

a person only has to validate it for themself / not for anyone else
we validate it for ourself by developing discernment in our own daily life and relationships

do you truly live by "any body can be lying about anything, so I don't ever believe what anyone ever says about anything unless there is scientific evidence?"

Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a person only has to validate it for themself / not for anyone else
we validate it for ourself by developing discernment in our own daily life and relationships

do you truly live by "any body can be lying about anything, so I don't ever believe what anyone ever says about anything unless there is scientific evidence?" so you never believe when someone says "I love you" or "Chocolate chip cookies with walnuts are delicious" or "This piece of music makes me happy"
+1. Unless one is trying to use their experience or revelation as a weapon against others, it really doesn't matter if it's valid to anyone else. An all-powerful God could reveal himself however he darn well pleases, and maybe it's not going to be the same experience across-the-board.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
People taking LSD, Peyote or similar stimulants have reported visions that moved them, but does that make them real? Are those visions replicatable?
Why does a vision have to be replicated? Two people using peyote to have visions will have two different visions. Having an individual revelation is the point of using peyote during NA ceremonies.

Do you dream? Do you think your dreams have to be replicated for them to be real?

I don't understand why so many people, believers and non-believers alike, insist on putting some sort of quality control standards on religious/spiritual experiences.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-30-2016 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 10:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why does a vision have to be replicated? Two people using peyote to have visions (legal in the Native American Church) will have two different visions. Having an individual revelation is the point of using peyote during a ceremony.

Do you dream? Do you think your dreams have to be replicated for them to be real?

I don't understand why so many people, believers and non-believers alike, insist on putting some sort of quality control standards on religious experiences.
How do you know it's authentic?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:41 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Why can't they all be correct? I have for many years believed in the personal revelatory spiritual experience that is meant for only one or a small number of people, as opposed to one person's experience being meant as the directive for entire masses down through the centuries. In my view, what you or Bernadette Peters experiences is meant for you or for Bernadette Peters, not necessarily for me. If I can read about it and gain some wisdom from it, great. If not, fine.

It is my personal belief that in a normal lifetime, we will all have at least one experience that, if not ignored or suppressed, will be our own personal revelatory experience. It is incumbent upon each of us to pay attention and recognize the divine in that experience. The more open we are, the more of these experiences we are likely to have.

Perhaps my point was a little unclear . I am not asking this in regards to someone's personal experience and belief, but in context with people using their religious experiences as validation that their way is the correct way in discussions with those who believe differently . I have had theists tell me they know God exists because they experience God and atheists are wrong , and that I simply can't deal with the fact that something beyond the physical exists . There are pantheists here that insist the normal theists that believe in supernatural gods are wrong because the pantheist experiences God as a natural God who doesn't do supernatural works . Theists here insist the pantheist is wrong and God is supernatural and some even cite miraculous occurrences .

How can both be correct ? How can it be correct that God is both the elephant God of Hinduism and Jesus Christ of Christianity ? They teach different and contradictory methods of achieving union with God . If Buddhists don't experience any God, how does theirs reflect upon those that claim to experience one ?

How can every sort of religious experience be correct when they often are at odds with each other ?

Last edited by wallflash; 06-30-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 11:04 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because I honor the beliefs of Native Americans and I don't insist everyone agree with the fundamentalists in Podunk.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Because I honor the beliefs of Native Americans and I don't insist everyone agree with the fundamentalists in Podunk.
How does this prove that drug induced visions are actual experiences of the Divine ?

Old 06-30-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
How does this show that drug induced visions are authentic and actual experiences of the Divine ?

Old 06-30-2016, 11:13 AM

22,194 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
this is an excellent question
and it is the best method for validation

does experiencing this and applying this in my daily life and in my relationships with others, result in an increase of peace, kindness, compassion, generosity, loving kindness, gentle words, honesty in business, respect, dignity, contentment, helping others, humbleness, recognizing every person has equal access to the Divine, finding good in others, offering encouragement.

....or does it result in an increase of brutality, violence, lying, cheating, stealing, dishonesty, harsh words, hostility, harming others, arrogance, insisting there is only one right way to get to God, finding fault in others, anger, greed, feelings of superiority, supremacy.

since the very nature and essence of God is loving kindness and truth and peace, then that is a reliable compass in navigating and discernment in both the secular and spiritual terrain.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-30-2016 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality