Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:07 PM

22,207 posts, read 19,233,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
....Sometimes, I come on C-D and say mocking things.
Just putting your idea of "violence" in perspective here.
it is good to see a person acknowledge that they use words as weapons of violence against others. that is a step in the right direction towards taking responsibility for our thought, speech, action, and beliefs, and the impact it has on others. you can change 0% of what happened in the Middle Ages. You can change 100% of what comes out of your own mouth every day, in every conversation, in every post.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-30-2016 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 12:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:
I agree with this.

Unfortunately, the underlined has been utlizied many, many times in the past, which I take exception to. But if a person wants to have his/her own personal revelation, and not push it into my laws, my children's schools, my workplace, Town Hall or wherever, and it's harmless to others physically as well, whom am I to say? Envision away.

Again, though, if a person is routinely having "visions," it could potentially indicate a mental health issue even if the visions don't result in harm to others. It doesn't HAVE to, but it's one giant red flag. IMO (and ONLY my opinion), that's something that shouldn't just be let go because who knows what's going on there, whether medication may be needed, whether the disease will progress to become harmful and so on. So I don't always believe "having visions" is entirely harmless; they could indicate issues that might harm the visionary him/herself, and/or others, down the road.

But an otherwise mentally healthy individual believing s/he has had a talk with God, and feels wonderful about it? I'm nobody to say yea or nay to that. Perhaps it did happen, who knows. Asking me to BELIEVE it myself, though...sorry, that would require evidence, absolutely.
Definitely, and that drive to bash people over the head with their new found revelation seems to accompany certain personality types and isn't limited to religion. Like MGTOW inserting their opinions on CD-R, or anti-[insert food type, exercise philosophy, political view, historical narritive] waging war against anyone who has reached different conclusions. Why they can't be content with "right for me, perhaps not for thee".... I don't know.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:11 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's real to them. I happen to respect that. If you don't....I can't imagine they would be surprised. They are quite used to people disrespecting their beliefs.
Do you subscribe to the phrase, "If it is true for you, then it is true? When that belief conflicts with realities (raptors being species of concern), what takes precedence?

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with faith. I am a person of faith.....who has neither the need nor the desire to prove what I believe or justify my faith. It belongs to me. Whether you or anyone else accepts what I believe does not matter. It is my truth. Not your's.
And I have no problem at all with you having your faith. Just don't try and apply your faith perspectives on me or the greater society, which, unlike others on this board, I don't see you promulgating at all. Too many don't understand that.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Now that I can respect.
Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Do you subscribe to the phrase, "If it is true for you, then it is true? When that belief conflicts with realities (raptors being species of concern), what takes precedence?
If a raptor is trying to make you his lunch....reality. Duh.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:22 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,029,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
A thoughtful response, but it doesn't really answer the question. People taking LSD, Peyote or similar stimulants have reported visions that moved them, but does that make them real? Are those visions replicatable? Was there an epileptic condition that contributed, as many suggest was the case in Paul's (the great salesman of christianity) wandering to Damascus?

Just because one experiences "spiritual" thoughts, does not make them real, although they can have a real impact on the person who go through them.
What is "real?"

Old 06-30-2016, 12:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is good to see a person acknowledge that they use words as weapons of violence against others. that is a step in the right direction towards taking responsibility for our thought, speech, action, and beliefs, and the impact it has on others. you can change 0% of what happened in the Middle Ages. You can change 100% of what comes out of your own mouth every day, in every conversation, in every post.

which is at the very core of measuring, validating, and applying religious experience in our daily life. we are to apply it to ourselves in our own life for self-improvement and self-development, not inflict it on others by beating them about the head with it.
Uh no. Paragraph 1 has nothing to so with Paragraph 2.

I know you're trying, hon, but...I am sad to say I think this one is a fail.

Changing what comes out of my mouth today is NOT at the core of "measuring, validating and applying religious experience in our daily life [sic]." You're simply not making sense, I'm sorry.

If this is all warming up to a "this has been a public service announcement" for people being nice to each other on the internet, again, that's its own topic and I don't believe it belongs in S&R. Non-Romantic relationships, maybe?

Old 06-30-2016, 12:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Definitely, and that drive to bash people over the head with their new found revelation seems to accompany certain personality types and isn't limited to religion. Like MGTOW inserting their opinions on CD-R, or anti-[insert food type, exercise philosophy, political view, historical narritive] waging war against anyone who has reached different conclusions. Why they can't be content with "right for me, perhaps not for thee".... I don't know.
This is an interesting point. It may not be the specific religion or even the idea of religion at all, but rather, a personality type and the motives that accompany same.

IOW, if there were no such thing as religion, period, such individuals might be finding ways to "make" others toe the line in one way or another, simply due to their own makeup and their own internal drives.

I guess that's a subject for a new topic too, LOL. Maybe I'll post a thread along these lines.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:46 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
What is "real?"
Measurable. Replicatable. Quantifiable. Falsifiable (the basis of science).

Old 06-30-2016, 01:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:
This is an interesting point. It may not be the specific religion or even the idea of religion at all, but rather, a personality type and the motives that accompany same.

IOW, if there were no such thing as religion, period, such individuals might be finding ways to "make" others toe the line in one way or another, simply due to their own makeup and their own internal drives.

I guess that's a subject for a new topic too, LOL. Maybe I'll post a thread along these lines.
It an observation I've made of certain posters and a few people in real life, who are strident to a fault no matter what the topic is. One real life person in particular, I first knew her as a "militant" atheist who rallied against any outward expressions of religion, no matter how innocuous. Well, at some point she "got saved" and is now every bit as abrasive and uncompromising with her conservative Christianity, rallying against "secularism" and liberal Christianity. It's not enough to mutually respect one another; no matter what the topic and no matter how much evidence to the contrary, she will beat that horse until it's dead, buried, resurrected, and in total agreement with her on all talking points. Just a truly exhausting person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality