Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:49 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you. Then I can only do what I do to those who try to explain to me what is so wonderful about fishing:- bid them a polite and uncomprehending good day and leave them to it
All that should matter with crazy Hannibal is how much he loves ya.

''Jimmie's got new moves.''

https://youtu.be/ANvlLcOTy6M

Transponder and Hannibal atop Bronson lake with cherry blossoms in the fall, the hummingbirds sang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's highly symbolic and steeped in esoteric meaning. I have enough experience with some of the metaphors (bema judgment, etc) to kind of see where he's going with it. It's sort of free associating with religious metaphors.

Your exasperation (and mine) is similar to one of Jesus' disciples complaints that he was always speaking in figures and metaphors and couldn't just make things plain. But the thing about religious concepts is that they must inherently be vague and somewhat fungible in meaning so that they have that timeless, deep, unctuous feel to them and can act as a template for a variety of religious beliefs that are derived from them. Unbelievers like to decry the variation in how the different denominations / faiths interpret scripture and the different interpretational systems (theological approaches) that can be made to work with the very same passages. But as with many things, the greatest weakness is also the greatest strength because you can have believers who disagree violently (sometimes literally so) about what the scriptures mean but they all revere the scriptures as inspired and holy just the same. And the scriptures, if they don't get too specific, can "speak" to modern times better, and appear to "prophesy" current events.

And as Tz points out, this triply indirect symbolism has an appeal all its own. The appearance of richness and depth, the discovery of perceived patterns, makes holy writ seem alive and vital and actively inspired to those who want to see such things in it.

There, but for the non-grace of no-god, would I have gone ;-)

I don't think something like this can be learned, this is a natural gift to few people on the earth, the art of articulation, if I had been born with that, I would be the king of the world. I figure your like a psyche major professor, I don't know those titles but I would be damned impressed if you were self learned. I figure you got published books and if you don't, you don't know who you are.

I would give any amount of money to be able to speak like you, to articulate myself like that but it's not possible.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:02 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
All that should matter with crazy Hannibal is how much he loves ya.

''Jimmie's got new moves.''

https://youtu.be/ANvlLcOTy6M

Transponder and Hannibal atop Bronson lake with cherry blossoms in the fall, the hummingbirds sang.
I get the point. That clip meant nothing to me either, but it would if you watched the whole episode. As a "Concrete" thinker, all I could see was what was under the alien's make -up. And that reminded me of course that the whole thing was made up.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's highly symbolic and steeped in esoteric meaning. I have enough experience with some of the metaphors (bema judgment, etc) to kind of see where he's going with it. It's sort of free associating with religious metaphors.

Your exasperation (and mine) is similar to one of Jesus' disciples complaints that he was always speaking in figures and metaphors and couldn't just make things plain. But the thing about religious concepts is that they must inherently be vague and somewhat fungible in meaning so that they have that timeless, deep, unctuous feel to them and can act as a template for a variety of religious beliefs that are derived from them. Unbelievers like to decry the variation in how the different denominations / faiths interpret scripture and the different interpretational systems (theological approaches) that can be made to work with the very same passages. But as with many things, the greatest weakness is also the greatest strength because you can have believers who disagree violently (sometimes literally so) about what the scriptures mean but they all revere the scriptures as inspired and holy just the same. And the scriptures, if they don't get too specific, can "speak" to modern times better, and appear to "prophesy" current events.

And as Tz points out, this triply indirect symbolism has an appeal all its own. The appearance of richness and depth, the discovery of perceived patterns, makes holy writ seem alive and vital and actively inspired to those who want to see such things in it.

There, but for the non-grace of no-god, would I have gone ;-)
Thank you. Yes I see now. Again I have to say that I am a practical man ("Concrete thinker" as Mystic says) and while I can understand the appeal of poetry or poetical prose, especially if couched in mystical or at any rate, theological terms, I have to use (out of sheer concern for my rationality) the "Dilbert stopper"

(I'll explain that if anyone wants, but read 'The Joy of Work".) that puts the abstruse on the spot and demands that it be explained in terms that we can all understand. If not, it has to be regarded as lacking in substance.

P.s "Fungible" translates in my mind as "A bit mouldy". If it doesn't mean that, I don't want to know. Btw Mensa, your definition of fishing (lazy people drowning worms) was a classic.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-15-2016 at 06:01 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
I don't think something like this can be learned, this is a natural gift to few people on the earth, the art of articulation, if I had been born with that, I would be the king of the world. I figure your like a psyche major professor, I don't know those titles but I would be damned impressed if you were self learned. I figure you got published books and if you don't, you don't know who you are.

I would give any amount of money to be able to speak like you, to articulate myself like that but it's not possible.
Don't envy me. Writing in a particular way is the one thing I can do. I'm not bad at drawing cartoons, either, In all other ways I am truly mediochre (1) and have to thank my work training and Atheist sites on critical thinking that I am able to have anything to say worth posting, no matter how good the writing is.

And the laugh is on ME!!! You were praising MORDANT!! Well I agree he writes and thinks brilliantly.

(1) mind, I got myself a smashing wife - check the crockery.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I get the point. That clip meant nothing to me either, but it would if you watched the whole episode. As a "Concrete" thinker, all I could see was what was under the alien's make -up. And that reminded me of course that the whole thing was made up.
That episode of Star Trek is about a language based upon concepts that when you see one word, a whole book comes with that one word. Each word in a parable has an different meaning, rain is the word of God that falls, and if it hails, it means a crushing truth has fallen. Barley, wheat, and fruit are 3 main harvest of a person as Body, soul, and spirit. What is barley is common and wheat more valuable, but the fruit harvest is the harvest of harvests.

Poetry

People can read the words in English but when all the words have an alternate meaning, they cannot read the words unless they know those alternate meanings.

An Olive tree is a priest who bears oil for light, and the light helps you walk through darkness in a spiritual sense.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:40 PM

22,197 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
...about a language based upon concepts that when you see one word, a whole book comes with that one word. Each word in a parable has an different meaning..
People can read the words in English but when all the words have an alternate meaning, they cannot read the words unless they know those alternate meanings.
I love this! and so true.
a single word opens a whole book
and a single letter of the word opens a whole world

and even the white space around the letters sings with meaning

there is a joke. the teacher assigns a set of reading for homework. the class groans because of the long reading assignment. the teacher says they are getting off easy because he is only asking them to study and discuss the text, and not what is in the white space around the text.

I love that

Old 07-15-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I love this! and so true.
a single word opens a whole book
and a single letter of the word opens a whole world

and even the white space around the letters sings with meaning

there is a joke. the teacher assigns a set of reading for homework. the class groans because of the long reading assignment. the teacher says they are getting off easy because he is only asking them to study and discuss the text, and not what is in the white space around the text.

I love that
Yeah, probably why I gave up on trying to learn Hebrew.

You can write a book on every letter.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:49 AM

20,013 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
"Fungible" translates in my mind as "A bit mouldy". If it doesn't mean that, I don't want to know.
Sorry, nothing to do with fungus. Basically just means "interchangeable / replaceable and not unique or valuable but common".

Old 07-19-2016, 07:31 AM

20,013 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
It is partly natural ability, but anyone can improve their communication skills. I've seen yours improve in recent months for example. That is always worth working on ... don't think it doesn't make a difference. :-) At one point in my career I was a technical editor, which basically involves taking what other people write and showing them how to make it comprehensible to others.

No I am not a professor and yes I am self taught (the term is "autodidact") and yes I have authored or coauthored a few books back in the early 1990s.

To whatever extent I actually am articulate, it hasn't made me king of the world though, if it helps any to know that ;-)

We all bring unique things to the plate. I value everyone's contribution here, even people I don't always agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality