Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 05:07 AM

392 posts, read 248,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
Is there any proof that the Bible is not 100% man made?
The idea that it is something separate from reality has its roots in the lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
Is there any proof that the Bible is not 100% man made?
Now THAT is a very good question!!!!! Rep for You!

All I know is I do a list of things Jesus said to do to have a happy, abundant life...did 'em for 2 weeks and never stopped...changed my life 180%...that was in 2006.
Man, am I carefree and light-hearted....and FREE!

Oh, this thread is from 2017!

Old 06-19-2019, 02:17 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Again, same old story.

You cannot define what would you consider as a proof or evidence?
And how will you validate the proof/evidence using all existing knowledge of all humanity combined. You can't!

This is NOT how it works in the matters of faith.

It starts with the question whether you want to find God and his guidance to provide you with a purpose of your life?

1 - If the answer is "No". Then stop right here. Because with this mindset, no matter what proof and/or evidence is presented to you, you will always find a way to reject or dismiss it.

Even if God comes down to meet you as a proof, you will probably say, "This can't be real, I am dreaming."

So whenever a person demands a proof in the matters of faith, you should know right away that he is not lookng for God.

Believing in God is faith, and faith is not based on proof and evidence.

2 - If your answer is Yes. Then you take a journey to find and analyze the SIGNS of God. (Looking and searching for SIGNS of God versus demanding the evidence of God - see the difference between the two approaches?).

You use your intelligence, logic and common sense during the study of holy text under your research - be it Bible, Torah, Quran, Gita or whatever.

And you let your heart answer the question, "Is it the truth?"

This should help you figure out what talks to your heart and you form your faith from there.

Whether there is an evidence that Bible is the word of God, is NOT the question.
After studying and analyzing it using your intelligence logic and common sense, does the Bible talk to your heart IS THE QUESTION!

If the answer is no, continue your journey to studying and analyzing all other holy books, and see if you receive the call from your heart?

It ALL comes down to how you answer THAT question. Refer to the underlined above.

Those who demand evidence, will perhaps never find one (because no one ever has), till the bell rings and the last curtain falls on their eyes.

Life is short and it must come to an end for all of us.

We should wisely make our choices because in the end, we will be responsible for our choices.
This is where the church has you by the short hairs. Churchmen KNOW that God is not going to magically materialize and say, "Yes, I exist and Jesus is the way" so they convince gullible people searching for answers and not finding any to just place their faith something they cannot see, cannot hear and cannot feel. It's called blind faith. If you don't want to trust something you cannot see, feel or hear, then walk away. But if you're willing to put your trust in something for which there is no tangible proof then God will manifest himself to you (even though millions have tried it and walked away because they felt exactly the same after trying it as they before trying).

But here's where the churchmen get you yet again. They tell you, "It doesn't happen overnight or in a week or maybe not even in a year. It's just something you have to trust that this God you cannot see, touch, or hear will one day in the future--maybe tomorrow, maybe ten years from now--will finally make contact with you. Meanwhile, sit tight and hold firm to faith in this no-guarantee promise except what I promise you--that God will eventually come through for you.

And if you believe all this rubbish I have bridge in Brooklyn I'd love to sell you.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:37 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
To people of faith it is the faith itself which is the proof. I read the Bible for YEARS without truly understanding it, while believing and hoping that I was, and also hoping that I would understand it even more someday. Which I now do.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:08 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
To people of faith it is the faith itself which is the proof. I read the Bible for YEARS without truly understanding it, while believing and hoping that I was, and also hoping that I would understand it even more someday. Which I now do.
"Whether there is an evidence that Bible is the word of God, is NOT the question.
After studying and analyzing it using your intelligence logic and common sense, does the Bible talk to your heart IS THE QUESTION!"

This is perhaps the nub of the apologetics debate. IF those pesky atheist critics can be kept silent, then, hopefully, you won't see with your intelligence, logic and common sense that the Bible does not stack up or make sense or even give a very good moral basis, certainly not as good as the humanist one which doesn't tell you to hate your parents or if someone swipes your mobile 'phone, give him your wallet as well.

Who does that? Who does it at all? How can they say they 'understand it'? They don't even know what it says, half the time.

How can they say it speaks to them'? When they don't know what it actually says and deny and ignore it when we tell them.

No, what is speaking to them, what they 'understand', is something more to do with feeling good about themselves, and better than anyone who disagrees even if they understand the Bible a sight better.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:31 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
"Whether there is an evidence that Bible is the word of God, is NOT the question.
After studying and analyzing it using your intelligence logic and common sense, does the Bible talk to your heart IS THE QUESTION!"

This is perhaps the nub of the apologetics debate. IF those pesky atheist critics can be kept silent, then, hopefully, you won't see with your intelligence, logic and common sense that the Bible does not stack up or make sense or even give a very good moral basis, certainly not as good as the humanist one which doesn't tell you to hate your parents or if someone swipes your mobile 'phone, give him your wallet as well.

Who does that? Who does it at all? How can they say they 'understand it'? They don't even know what it says, half the time.

How can they say it speaks to them'? When they don't know what it actually says and deny and ignore it when we tell them.

No, what is speaking to them, what they 'understand', is something more to do with feeling good about themselves, and better than anyone who disagrees even if they understand the Bible a sight better.

Quite true. Can't rep you again.The clearest evidence to me that Christianity is completely subjective is two thing: first, nothing that the Bible says is true proves itself to be true. The prophecies are all failed, the commands are scatterbrained and make no sense as your wallet and mobile phone card example aptly demonstrates, it contradicts itself at every turn and most of its promises are outright lies or simply fail miserably as I've demonstrated is the case with prayer. Second, two Christians read a passage and come away with entirely different interpretations as to what it means. So is the Holy Spirit talking out of both sides of His Holy mouth or is the Holy Spirit just a non-existent character invented by the Catholic Church and the only thing really going on here is two people are drawing on their subjective opinions about what the passage is telling them. In any case, this is no way for an omnipotent and omniscient God to run His religion.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:09 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Quite true. Can't rep you again. The clearest evidence to me that Christianity is completely subjective is two things: first, nothing that the Bible says is true proves itself to be true. The prophecies are all failed, the commands are scatterbrained and make no sense as your wallet and mobile phone card example aptly demonstrates, it contradicts itself at every turn and most of its promises are outright lies or simply fail miserably as I've demonstrated is the case with prayer. Second, two Christians read a passage and come away with entirely different interpretations as to what it means. So is the Holy Spirit talking out of both sides of His Holy mouth or is the Holy Spirit just a non-existent character invented by the Catholic Church and the only thing really going on here is two people are drawing on their subjective opinions about what the passage is telling them. In any case, this is no way for an omnipotent and omniscient God to run His religion.
Suppose God is NOT Omni-anything, Thrill, just God. At the risk of giving Arq the admission he has been seeking from me forever, I will acknowledge that my certainty that God's Holy Spirit (consciousness) was made available to us by the death and rebirth as Spirit of Jesus stems from my encounter in deep meditation. First, I am absolutely certain that based on my first 30 years of life. I would NOT have been chosen to be the "special" recipient of the encounter. So I believe it is available to all of us whether or not we are aware of its influence on our thoughts. It is what I attribute the inspirations of God to. Second, the descriptions of the Holy Spirit and the demonstration by Jesus in the Christian narrative exactly matched the consciousness I encountered. This enabled me to ignore the many corruptions and ignorant interpretations of our ancestors in the Bible, achieve a resonance with Jesus (the "mind of Christ") and develop what I consider a far more reasonable interpretation of His achievement. So for me, the many things that disturb you and present stumbling blocks to your faith in the Jesus narrative have NO EFFECT on me or my faith.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 06-19-2019 at 06:23 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 06:21 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Your mistake (and the mistake of most atheists) is referring to it as "The Bible". As if it were just one book.
It's NOT a book and never has been.

Christianity was formed and SOLIDIFIED by an event: The resurrection of Jesus Christ. The book came centuries later, and many Christians throughout history have never even read it.

It's a COLLECTION of books. As long as you keep thinking it's a book it will NEVER make sense.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:09 PM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:

The book came centuries later, and many Christians throughout history have never even read it.
I wouldn't say that speaks very well of christianity.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
The book came centuries later, and many Christians
throughout history have never even read it. (Me: you'd be amazed how many
have not and call themselves Christian!)
It's a COLLECTION of books. As long as you keep thinking it's a book
it will NEVER make sense.
Very good...so you are not just a pretty face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality