Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:45 AM

331 posts, read 317,335 times

Advertisements

Because I'm a helpful sort, I'm going to assist those who are hell-bent to reinvent Jesus as a warm and fuzzy big brother who pretty much just wants everyone to play nice, get along and give hugs all around.

The historical Jesus - boo! hiss! - said this (Matthew 10:34-36, NASB):
"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.”
Eek, this is obviously not the Jesus you want. Alas, even the scholars of the Jesus Seminar, who were no friends of the historical Jesus, assigned this a “Gray” rating, meaning that (in their exceedingly restrictive view) Jesus probably did not say exactly this but very possibly something like it. They were not troubled by the content but by the fact that (in their exceedingly restrictive view) Jesus seldom referred to himself in the first person ("I").

Here is the same saying in the non-canonical Gospel of Thomas, which is widely regarded as a 2nd century gnostic text but which some scholars, notably John Dominic Crossan (hero of the Jesus Seminar!), insist is actually a very early, pre-gospel collection of Jesus’s sayings:
Jesus said, “Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war. For there will be five in a house: there will be three against two and two against three, father against son and son against father, and they will stand alone.”
Oh, dear, this just will not do. But take heart, there is a solution. It’s called, in lawyerly terms, a legislative amendment. Now most Christians don’t believe the Bible is subject to legislative amendment since it is the Word of God – but if you're going to reinvent Jesus anyway, what the hell, huh?

So here we go. My first draft. Just like a real legislative amendment, deletions are in [fuchsia] and insertions in blue:
"[Do not] Think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did [not] come to bring peace, [but] not a sword. For I came to [set] unite a man [against] with his father, and a daughter [against] with her mother, and a daughter-in-law [against] with her mother-in-law; and a man’s [enemies] beloved will be the members of his household.”
Bingo, your new and improved Jesus now says:
"Think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did come to bring peace, not a sword. For I came to unite a man with his father, and a daughter with her mother, and a daughter-in-law with her mother-in-law; and a man’s beloved will be the members of his household.”
You'll need to do this with about 75% of the NT - I'm not going to do all of your work for you. Just so you don't get confused, you'll probably want to call your version something like Not Exactly the New Testament or perhaps the New Testament Lite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 10:49 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,428,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
Because I'm a helpful sort, I'm going to assist those who are hell-bent to reinvent Jesus as a warm and fuzzy big brother who pretty much just wants everyone to play nice, get along and give hugs all around....
I think your first task is to show where anyone has described Jesus like that (other than you.) Otherwise, you're just arguing with yourself.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:07 AM

15,902 posts, read 6,375,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I think your first task is to show where anyone has described Jesus like that (other than you.) Otherwise, you're just arguing with yourself.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,258,331 times
Quote:

Old 06-08-2017, 12:55 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,287,728 times
Quote:

Old 06-08-2017, 01:39 PM

63,993 posts, read 40,270,885 times
Quote:

Old 06-08-2017, 01:52 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,827,506 times
Indeed. First thing is o scrap the well -poisoning and strawman stuff and find out what atheists actually think about Jesus.

The Historical Jesus? By and large, I (at least) am sure there was one. I am sure that he had disciples - Peter and James, by name, for two, was crucified by Pilate and very probably did a donkey ride to the temple and cause a bit of mayhem there. There was probably even a feasting of 5,000 at Bethsaida. I recently even began to consider hat the High Priest and his coterie might have been gunning for the fellow.

On the other hand, to talk of the Historical Jesus and rot out quotations from Matthew in the same sentence would indeed elicit a chorus of boos and hisses.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Only one?

Old 06-08-2017, 04:10 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,287,728 times
Quote:
I think we all know otherwise--the difference is those who seriously believe---

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.”

---Really cannot wait for this action top be carried out against "non-believers" whereas those deemed apostates by the fundamentalists realize the actions will be carried-out against the organized "church."

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Only one?

Old 06-08-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I think we all know otherwise--the difference is those who seriously believe---

---Really cannot wait for this action top be carried out against "non-believers" whereas those deemed apostates by the fundamentalists realize the actions will be carried-out against the organized "church."
The Watchtower loves that scripture too. They quote it as a way to say shunning family members is actually a test of loyalty to God. I'm not surprised it's a favorite among the faithful of other true religions as a way to squelch dissent. This video is nearly 10 minutes but the first 2-3 minutes proves what I said about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yLdwe_6JsU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality