Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 03:05 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Really, then you would be incorrect...
Can you give us a full context...like a paraphrase of something? Something where God kills everyone ...
or some other bloody thing that we would think was very awful that God would never do.
Talk to me, not the others. I will be reasonable.
Let's look at this in perspective. Is there ever a time when you would consider violence to be acceptable?

War? How about if an armed intruder was in my house...am I allowed to protect my wife and kid?

How about armed police officers responding to a bank robbery? Is it ever acceptable to kill someone?

Old 09-01-2017, 03:28 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,632 times
Previous generations have always had more 'limited choices', of how to think, feel, act and speak, ...right back to Adam. God had to work with, and around, and through that one way or another. The fundamentalist, at heart, accepts those limited choices as being gospel truth, hence why judgement, wrath and blood spilling is so appealing. No-one is saying we have another gospel - what we're saying is that with the fullness of time the Father has lifted our eyes higher to see things from a higher perspective, one of more unlimited choices. As the Kingdom of heaven comes, it displaces anything and everything of a carnal nature. Old paradigms fade.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think it has a lot to do with your perspective on things. I'm guessing that if you understand the context of those passages, you'd agree that they're not "barbaric". But I don't believe you're willing to try.

And yes--by the way, calling people "idiots" is kind of rude, and tends to incite people.
Quote:
Can you give us a full context...like a paraphrase of something? Something where God kills everyone ...
or some other bloody thing that we would think was very awful that God would never do.
Quote:
Let's look at this in perspective. Is there ever a time when you would consider violence to be acceptable?

War? How about if an armed intruder was in my house...am I allowed to protect my wife and kid?

How about armed police officers responding to a bank robbery? Is it ever acceptable to kill someone?
If it is not good, right or correct every time, then it's not an acceptable standard; neither would it be truth.

Last edited by Jerwade; 09-01-2017 at 03:40 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 03:59 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,731,718 times
and to think this was a thread dedicated to apologies and for some reason staying to tract here wasn't required.. rotf.. .... so what what would a thread look like that was created to just curse believers ..would it looks any different? of course NO! OH Mrs H you are such a tricky dicky ! got to give credit where credit is due.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:08 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
I am not sure what you want miss. Do you mean "war" without malice? That doesn't mean indifference, thats anti-love isn't it? are you talking about being warriors vs soldiers? some angels don't run around in sheets with their butts hanging out and the company they keep doesn't always behave perfectly, they are in a dirty business after all.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Quote:
Let's look at this in perspective.
How about armed police officers responding to a bank robbery?
Is it ever acceptable to kill someone?
Sorry, we are going to have to do this another way...cuz I'm an educated adult...I don't need
this baby stuff...no offense...I would like a direct story...where you think I would be appalled, but you are not by God's so-called actions.
Explain the logic you follow..where it is 'ok' and it makes you love and worship God because of it.

Since God doesn't have the thoughts that man has...Jesus showed us ... he did nothing but forgive when he could have done SO much to save himself...so no cop and robber scenarios for me...

i don't think I'm making this hard ...just getting directly to it....I do understand if you
were teaching children in a Sunday class your scenarios would be expected.

Is that alright?

Old 09-01-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
By the way...I'm about to head out of the office and won't likely be posting again until next week. I don't have a PC at home and hate typing on a phone or iPad.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:13 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
and to think this was a thread dedicated to apologies and for some reason staying to tract here wasn't required.. rotf.. .... so what what would a thread look like that was created to just curse believers ..would it looks any different? of course NO! OH Mrs H you are such a tricky dicky ! got to give credit where credit is due.
wow, if true, that would mean ... ... that would mean? intentionally?

Old 09-01-2017, 04:16 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I am not sure what you want miss. Do you mean "war" without malice?
War?
How about discussion without hurtful name calling...it's really not that hard to chose the,
"Sorry we will have to disagree on this"...and maybe at the end it comes down to,
''Oh well, we both love God, but see Him differently....Bye.'

Old 09-01-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry, we are going to have to do this another way...cuz I'm an educated adult...I don't need
this baby stuff...no offense...I would like a direct story...where you think I would be appalled, but you are not by God's so-called actions.
Explain the logic you follow..where it is 'ok' and it makes you love and worship God because of it.

Since God doesn't have the thoughts that man has...Jesus showed us ... he did nothing but forgive when he could have done SO much to save himself...so no cop and robber scenarios for me...

i don't think I'm making this hard ...just getting directly to it....I do understand if you
were teaching children in a Sunday class your scenarios would be expected.

Is that alright?
OK.....we know that killing is not wrong. We are able to kill in self defense, we are allowed to kill in times of war. I think we all agree that it is justified to use deadly force to protect the innocent.

Having said that, God promised Abraham that he would send a Messiah through him. This Messiah would save his people, and he would save the world. Untold peoples would be blessed as a result. That sounds great, doesn't it? Well...God was going to wait till just the right time.

The problem that we saw was that ancient Israel began to intermarry with other cultures. A very small number of Israelites was soon going to be absorbed by the idolatrous nations and was going to cease to exist. If that happened, the Messiah would never come. So, God sent famine, and Israel ended up going to Egypt, where he had sent Joseph beforehand by way of being sold into slavery, then being elevated to Prime Minister. In time he was able to save his people and provide a place for them (this is a pre-shadowing of the Messiah).

Israel entered Egypt with about 70 people. 400 years later they emerged with about 1.5 million. At this time, they went back to Canaan to occupy their promised land. The problem was that there were pagans there, and those pagans would not give up the land easily. So God fought for the Israelites and they wiped them out, gaining the promised land again. Now...one may ask...why did they have to wipe them all out? Well...the answer is because if they didn't, they'd be corrupted. If corrupted, the family line would be jeopardized, and the promised Messiah that would save the world from their sins would never come. THAT is why God ordered them to wipe out entire nations -- because ultimately more were saved by doing that. Just as a cop might shoot a criminal, God used Israel to judge the pagan nations.

In time, Jesus did come, and he died on the cross to redeem his people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality