Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 04:06 PM

51,401 posts, read 24,773,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no, nothing is that black and white. I would agree if you said the abuses far out way the benefit, but to put it as a black and white view is not totally honest.
Slavery is pretty black and white (no pun intended). In fact, few things are as black and white as slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 12:44 AM

1,220 posts, read 992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
God? Which one? Zeus? Thor? Freya? Loti? Yahweh? Allah? Mithra? Or which other one of the 1000's humans have invented?

No, my discussion is with those that not only believe a mythology (that is their right), but think that mythology gives a moral guidance and that they need to impose their believes on others.

I know that slavery is wrong. Your god doesn't. I know rape is wrong. Your god doesn't. And you have said you are guided by the spirit of your scriptures, yet not once have answered what that means.

What does your spirit tell you about Exodus 21?
There is only One True God, and He created this place we live in...His name is Yeshua Messiac...Jesus Christ.
A mythos, such as the one the Greeks contrived always becomes a moral or an immoral guide post for the following generations.
Another example is the contrivance of a globe as a representation of where we live...they (the adherent's and teachers) think they need to impose this particular mythos (model) on others. Pope Gregory did the same thing with his "joke" on the rest of the time keeping lot of us...tells us that there are 52 weeks in a year. Hmmm.:...12 months X 4 weeks is 48 weeks. So we're working 13 months but only getting paid for 12.
Is my posting my beliefs about God in this "Religion and Spirituality" forum an imposition upon you? Get a grip dude!
Slavery is a human institution..God is blameless.
The things written about in Exodus are historically accurate in light of what every other culture in those days were practicing. Through it all God provided and continues to provide a means of redemption from slavery, rape, and every other horrible thing that man and his kind have subjected themselves to.
Are you angry about slavery, rape, the strong victimizing the weak, the rich oppressing the poor? PEOPLE make conscious decisions to do these things...such thoughts never enter the mind of God who is Love so pure it burns hotter than any earthly fire. And so it says...
"For our God is a consuming fire." Hebrew 12:29 KJV

Old 12-05-2017, 01:10 AM

10,796 posts, read 3,627,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
There is only One True God, and He created this place we live in...His name is Yeshua Messiac...Jesus Christ.
A mythos, such as the one the Greeks contrived always becomes a moral or an immoral guide post for the following generations.
Another example is the contrivance of a globe as a representation of where we live...they (the adherent's and teachers) think they need to impose this particular mythos (model) on others. Pope Gregory did the same thing with his "joke" on the rest of the time keeping lot of us...tells us that there are 52 weeks in a year. Hmmm.:...12 months X 4 weeks is 48 weeks. So we're working 13 months but only getting paid for 12.
Is my posting my beliefs about God in this "Religion and Spirituality" forum an imposition upon you? Get a grip dude!
Slavery is a human institution..God is blameless.
The things written about in Exodus are historically accurate in light of what every other culture in those days were practicing. Through it all God provided and continues to provide a means of redemption from slavery, rape, and every other horrible thing that man and his kind have subjected themselves to.
Are you angry about slavery, rape, the strong victimizing the weak, the rich oppressing the poor? PEOPLE make conscious decisions to do these things...such thoughts never enter the mind of God who is Love so pure it burns hotter than any earthly fire. And so it says...
"For our God is a consuming fire." Hebrew 12:29 KJV
OK, I think I have you figured out. You fit a profile, this one:

Top Ten Signs You’re a Fundamentalist Christian

10 – You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 – You feel insulted and “dehumanized” when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 – You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 – Your face turns purple when you hear of the “atrocities” attributed to Allah, but you don’t even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in “Exodus” and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in “Joshua” including women, children, and trees!

6 – You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 – You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 – You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs — though excluding those in all rival sects – will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most “tolerant” and “loving.”

3 – While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in “tongues” may be all the evidence you need to “prove” Christianity.

2 – You define 0.01% as a “high success rate” when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 – You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history – but still call yourself a Christian.

Source

Old 12-05-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
OK, I think I have you figured out. You fit a profile, this one:

Top Ten Signs You’re a Fundamentalist Christian

10 – You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 – You feel insulted and “dehumanized” when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 – You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 – Your face turns purple when you hear of the “atrocities” attributed to Allah, but you don’t even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in “Exodus” and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in “Joshua” including women, children, and trees!

6 – You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 – You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 – You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs — though excluding those in all rival sects – will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most “tolerant” and “loving.”

3 – While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in “tongues” may be all the evidence you need to “prove” Christianity.

2 – You define 0.01% as a “high success rate” when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 – You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history – but still call yourself a Christian.

Source
You can stretch me out like canvas...but I'll never fit in your frame. Addressing your top ten list from 1-10:

1. I know my redeemer lives. I have never qualified myself as Christian.

2. I have never personally rated answered prayers...and btw...all prayers are always answered. Most of the time the answer is "NO."
If I explained to you that prayer in the name of Jesus does work a work in me in these last days, you still will not believe me, even with evidence.
You do err, not knowing the will of God...
"God...now commandeth all men every where to repent:" Acts 17:30 KJV...that is the will of God...remember?

3. Modern science, modern history, modern geology, modern biology, modern physics have convinced me of this...that God is true.
As for the idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues"...unless someone is able to interpret coherently in a discernible language wtf he or she may be saying...then the idiot needs to be silenced, because such nonsense doesn't glorify God, and no one can be edified thereby, much less "prove" Christianity therewith.
And btw, speaking in tongues (other discernible languages) is not the only "sign" that one has the Holy Spirit. Those who think so are gift inspectors...Jesus didn't say you will know them by their gifts...he said you will know them by their fruits.

4. Rafius tried to warn you...but you don't listen! I don't believe that the entire population of earth is living on a planet...it's flat!
I don't believe anyone will spend an eternity in hell suffering. You have misunderstood the word of God again.
I don't know about "religion"...but I confess, I have been intolerant of many things and people, when my intolerance should have been tempered with love, patience and self-control.

5. Calculating how much time you think I've spent looking for loopholes in the "scientifically established" age of earth is a task I'll leave to you. Go get 'em boy!

6. I have never laughed at Hindus who believe that humans have been deified. I have never laughed at Greeks who claim gods came down to the earth and had sexual relations with women.
Yes, I believe Jesus was born of a virgin, that he was delivered into the hands of sinful men, was crucified, died, was buried and the third day rose again from the dead, and ascended up into heaven.

7. You see...you have a blame game mentality...you blame God for all the evil in the world, and then accuse me of attributing atrocities to allah. I know for a fact that this allah can only make suggestions.
When I read about all the nations who warred with God as he thundered across the earth with His army, I'm reminded that Jesus will return. Will he find you faithful when he returns norm?

8. I have never laughed at anyone for believing what they believe. I believe in One God. I believe God is One. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are One thing.

9. Actually, when scientists and lay people have insisted that man evolved, they were insulted when I didn't agree with them.

10. I have never denied the existence of one god much less thousands...I know for an experiential fact, that they exist. No, I'm not outraged if you or anyone chooses to deny God and His Christ...very sad though.

Have a blessed day norm.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:50 PM

10,796 posts, read 3,627,833 times
Quote:
You can stretch me out like canvas...but I'll never fit in your frame. Addressing your top ten list from 1-10:

1. I know my redeemer lives. I have never qualified myself as Christian.

2. I have never personally rated answered prayers...and btw...all prayers are always answered. Most of the time the answer is "NO."
If I explained to you that prayer in the name of Jesus does work a work in me in these last days, you still will not believe me, even with evidence.
You do err, not knowing the will of God...
"God...now commandeth all men every where to repent:" Acts 17:30 KJV...that is the will of God...remember?

3. Modern science, modern history, modern geology, modern biology, modern physics have convinced me of this...that God is true.
As for the idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues"...unless someone is able to interpret coherently in a discernible language wtf he or she may be saying...then the idiot needs to be silenced, because such nonsense doesn't glorify God, and no one can be edified thereby, much less "prove" Christianity therewith.
And btw, speaking in tongues (other discernible languages) is not the only "sign" that one has the Holy Spirit. Those who think so are gift inspectors...Jesus didn't say you will know them by their gifts...he said you will know them by their fruits.

4. Rafius tried to warn you...but you don't listen! I don't believe that the entire population of earth is living on a planet...it's flat!
I don't believe anyone will spend an eternity in hell suffering. You have misunderstood the word of God again.
I don't know about "religion"...but I confess, I have been intolerant of many things and people, when my intolerance should have been tempered with love, patience and self-control.

5. Calculating how much time you think I've spent looking for loopholes in the "scientifically established" age of earth is a task I'll leave to you. Go get 'em boy!

6. I have never laughed at Hindus who believe that humans have been deified. I have never laughed at Greeks who claim gods came down to the earth and had sexual relations with women.
Yes, I believe Jesus was born of a virgin, that he was delivered into the hands of sinful men, was crucified, died, was buried and the third day rose again from the dead, and ascended up into heaven.

7. You see...you have a blame game mentality...you blame God for all the evil in the world, and then accuse me of attributing atrocities to allah. I know for a fact that this allah can only make suggestions.
When I read about all the nations who warred with God as he thundered across the earth with His army, I'm reminded that Jesus will return. Will he find you faithful when he returns norm?

8. I have never laughed at anyone for believing what they believe. I believe in One God. I believe God is One. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are One thing.

9. Actually, when scientists and lay people have insisted that man evolved, they were insulted when I didn't agree with them.

10. I have never denied the existence of one god much less thousands...I know for an experiential fact, that they exist. No, I'm not outraged if you or anyone chooses to deny God and His Christ...very sad though.

Have a blessed day norm.
Darn.

I had you all wrong. It's even worse than I thought!

Carry on.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,920,428 times
Quote:
I have never personally rated answered prayers...and btw...all prayers are always answered. Most of the time the answer is "NO."
Wonder what happened to....

John 14:13-14

13 I will do whatever you ask in My name, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:30 AM

50,143 posts, read 20,925,474 times
Quote:
Darn.

Carry on.
Yes.. It's not Orthodox Religious Fundamentalism with this one. It's pick whatever you like and ignore whatever you don't, and regard that as God -given Truth, and beyond doubt and question.

You'd be fascinated by the flat earth discussion. It was repeating claims that had been debunked and dismissing the globally accepted and verified evidence of a round earth as all faked. You wouldn't think it was possible. But after all the religious apologists, Fundamentalists and Creationists do exactly the same.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Wonder what happened to....

John 14:13-14

13 I will do whatever you ask in My name, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.
Very good then Rafius. But why are you so concerned with that other disciple (me)? Since you know to apply this verse in your own life, then follow Jesus

Old 12-06-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Darn.

Carry on.
You never had me steve...but I see your number.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes.. It's not Orthodox Religious Fundamentalism with this one. It's pick whatever you like and ignore whatever you don't, and regard that as God -given Truth, and beyond doubt and question.

You'd be fascinated by the flat earth discussion. It was repeating claims that had been debunked and dismissing the globally accepted and verified evidence of a round earth as all faked. You wouldn't think it was possible. But after all the religious apologists, Fundamentalists and Creationists do exactly the same.
I never said earth is not round. I said it is not a globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality