Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:57 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Slavery was in existence long before the Exodus norm. At the time of the Exodus slavery was part of the world wide economy...remember? God did indeed shake the nations during those days, but you can't blame God for slavery norm...He was only playing the cards He was dealt, same as everybody else..."for ye are strangers and sojourners with me." Leviticus 25:23 KJV
God's mercy toward everyone engaged in the practice of slavery, even unto this day, is this norm...

"And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall be a jubile unto you; and ye shall return every man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family." Leviticus 25:10 KJV

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;" Isaiah 61:1 KJV
...this is still true today norm, Remember what it says:

“Today when you hear his voice,
don’t harden your hearts
as Israel did when they rebelled.” Hebrews 3:15 NLT
Garbage ... and I don't mean the stock flurry of inspirational Biblequotes following a stock apologetic excuse.

Don't you see that there is this constant missmatch and cognitive dissonance about a god who made everything, can do anything and can order a command and practice totally at variance with the norms of the time,compared with one who doesn't seem to know what's going on, has no plan, loses his rag and can be talked out of it by some smart Jewish lawyer, and when issuing three commands about worshipping just him, couldn't have spared one to say: "You cannot own another human being as property. I forbid this".

Cue all the excuses about Indentured servitude and 'It was not really Slavery in those days".

It was. Depend upon it, it was slavery.

Quote:
Doomed? That's not a pleasant tune. Hey, thanks for the arrows though. Try to look at this way...God is love, and you know that, but you have a bit of amnesia and have mistaken God for yourself.
That's a laugh, coming from a believer of which generic kind we have come to realize that the"God" theiy believe in is simply themselves, inflated to divine size.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-04-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 11:14 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
I was asking about God's voice norm, not the possibility of multiple personality disorders. On the other hand, you did say..."Tell us exactly what spirit this is meant?" at your post #376, so I do empathize...want me to call ahead for you?
Normstad didn't answer, so I will. I hear the Voice all the time. I debate and discuss and argue and reason with it all the time. It isn't always right but sometimes dammit comes up with some spot - on stuff. This is the voice of God, but I know it's mine. I also know that it's the voice of God for others and deconverts have said that is what they came to know it was. I also know it is the fallible voice of humans not of a god because not only do they get things wrong (and have to go into ludicrous levels of fingers -in -ears denial in order to avoid admitting the ONE mistake that would smash their delusion that God is talking to them) but they disagree between themselves - just as though their gods in the head were two humans posters wrangling on the Forum.

Which of course is what they are.

Of course I am aware of the Jesus up the nose fervour and the ecstatic happiness and even the Enlightenment experience, but I don't see that any of those can legitimately be used to bolster this very personal god in the head as some kind of cosmic being. Nor even that as any kind of Justification for whatever Holy Book you are pleased to consider Authoritative.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:51 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,144 times
Quote:
I was asking about God's voice norm, not the possibility of multiple personality disorders. On the other hand, you did say..."Tell us exactly what spirit this is meant?" at your post #376, so I do empathize...want me to call ahead for you?
How would we tell the difference?

Old 12-04-2017, 03:31 PM

1,220 posts, read 986,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If every day of your life has been wretched, then you're following the wrong path.
I'm doing my best to follow Jesus...I fail often...but he always leads me back on track.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Wrong answer.

The slavery laws set down was HOW to treat a slave, not to disallow slavery. Giving the law that as long as a slave who is beaten lives for two days, and dies later, and the owner is not punished is not any kind of mercy. Allowing slavery is not any kind of mercy.

Allowing your raped daughter to have to marry her assailant because said assailant paid the father 50 shekels is not the sign of a merciful god. Imagine that poor girl having to live a live time with an abuser? No mercy shown by that god.

Any god who is so despicable to allow these things to happen is not a god worth worshiping.
Like an idiot brother in Christ norm...you have a long way to go. You missed everything I said. It's not me you're out to prove wrong...though I appreciate the sentiment...your beef is with God.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:37 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I'm doing my best to follow Jesus...I fail often...but he always leads me back on track.
You said every day of your life was wretched.

Wrong path.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:47 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Like an idiot brother in Christ norm...you have a long way to go. You missed everything I said. It's not me you're out to prove wrong...though I appreciate the sentiment...your beef is with God.
God? Which one? Zeus? Thor? Freya? Loti? Yahweh? Allah? Mithra? Or which other one of the 1000's humans have invented?

No, my discussion is with those that not only believe a mythology (that is their right), but think that mythology gives a moral guidance and that they need to impose their believes on others.

I know that slavery is wrong. Your god doesn't. I know rape is wrong. Your god doesn't. And you have said you are guided by the spirit of your scriptures, yet not once have answered what that means.

What does your spirit tell you about Exodus 21?

Old 12-04-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Garbage ... and I don't mean the stock flurry of inspirational Biblequotes following a stock apologetic excuse.

Don't you see that there is this constant missmatch and cognitive dissonance about a god who made everything, can do anything and can order a command and practice totally at variance with the norms of the time,compared with one who doesn't seem to know what's going on, has no plan, loses his rag and can be talked out of it by some smart Jewish lawyer, and when issuing three commands about worshipping just him, couldn't have spared one to say: "You cannot own another human being as property. I forbid this".

Cue all the excuses about Indentured servitude and 'It was not really Slavery in those days".

It was. Depend upon it, it was slavery.

That's a laugh, coming from a believer of which generic kind we have come to realize that the"God" theiy believe in is simply themselves, inflated to divine size.
I already stated a few posts ago to another idiot brother in Christ that slavery was a major part to the world's economy long before the Exodus. The Captain of the Lord's Host (Army) was merely integrating his people into an already existent system. Since you don't believe in Jesus, then hanging around people who do must be hell for you. Do you have the joy of the Lord in your life, or are you just superficially happy?

Old 12-04-2017, 03:51 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I already stated a few posts ago to another idiot brother in Christ that slavery was a major part to the world's economy long before the Exodus. The Captain of the Lord's Host (Army) was merely integrating his people into an already existent system. ...
Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Either slavery is wrong, or it isn't. I don't care when it stated. It is justified in the Bible. So either you think slavery is right because the Bible endorses it, or you don't agree with the Bible (gasp). You can't have it both ways...and be honest.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:02 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Either slavery is wrong, or it isn't. I don't care when it stated. It is justified in the Bible. So either you think slavery is right because the Bible endorses it, or you don't agree with the Bible (gasp). You can't have it both ways...and be honest.
no, nothing is that black and white. I would agree if you said the abuses far out way the benefit, but to put it as a black and white view is not totally honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality