Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 11:26 PM

1,220 posts, read 989,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Those of little wit consider paint-by-numbers to be art.

The religious of little wit NEED a book to s'plain things simply - to give them rules and order. It comforts them. Like sheep being in a corral. They need limits. They lack the cognitive abilities, courage, and insight required to carve their own spiritual path.

They need something paved and easy. So they follow a book that other sheep follow.

Unfortunately for them - but not for the rest of the planet - they are plodding their way to extinction.

Those who cannot, or will not, evolve - are doomed.
Doomed? That's not a pleasant tune. Hey, thanks for the arrows though. Try to look at this way...God is love, and you know that, but you have a bit of amnesia and have mistaken God for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So, how do you see the spirit of Exodus 21. All of it, the entire chapter. Hint: It's about slavery, and not just Jewish slaves. Oh, and it's followed by:

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Tell us exactly what spirit this is meant?
Slavery was in existence long before the Exodus norm. At the time of the Exodus slavery was part of the world wide economy...remember? God did indeed shake the nations during those days, but you can't blame God for slavery norm...He was only playing the cards He was dealt, same as everybody else..."for ye are strangers and sojourners with me." Leviticus 25:23 KJV
God's mercy toward everyone engaged in the practice of slavery, even unto this day, is this norm...

"And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall be a jubile unto you; and ye shall return every man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family." Leviticus 25:10 KJV

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;" Isaiah 61:1 KJV
...this is still true today norm, Remember what it says:

“Today when you hear his voice,
don’t harden your hearts
as Israel did when they rebelled.” Hebrews 3:15 NLT

Old 12-04-2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Slavery was in existence long before the Exodus norm. At the time of the Exodus slavery was part of the world wide economy...remember? God did indeed shake the nations during those days, but you can't blame God for slavery norm...He was only playing the cards He was dealt, same as everybody else..."for ye are strangers and sojourners with me." Leviticus 25:23 KJV
God's mercy toward everyone engaged in the practice of slavery, even unto this day, is this norm...

"And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall be a jubile unto you; and ye shall return every man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family." Leviticus 25:10 KJV

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;" Isaiah 61:1 KJV
...this is still true today norm, Remember what it says:

“Today when you hear his voice,
don’t harden your hearts
as Israel did when they rebelled.” Hebrews 3:15 NLT
Have you ever heard God's voice norm? Or, so far, crickets?

Old 12-04-2017, 01:05 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,614,030 times
Quote:
Have you ever heard God's voice norm? Or, so far, crickets?
If I heard voices in my head, I would go and see a doctor.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
If I heard voices in my head, I would go and see a doctor.
I was asking about God's voice norm, not the possibility of multiple personality disorders. On the other hand, you did say..."Tell us exactly what spirit this is meant?" at your post #376, so I do empathize...want me to call ahead for you?

Old 12-04-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
I was asking about God's voice norm, not the possibility of multiple personality disorders. On the other hand, you did say..."Tell us exactly what spirit this is meant?" at your post #376, so I do empathize...want me to call ahead for you?
Perhaps now that you remember the question, could you try and answer it? In your words, not with a Gish Gallop of bible quotes?

Old 12-04-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Perhaps now that you remember the question, could you try and answer it? In your words, not with a Gish Gallop of bible quotes?
I already explained it to you norm...God's mercy...remember?

Old 12-04-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
I already explained it to you norm...God's mercy...remember?
God has been merciful to me every day of my wretched life. How about you norm? Would you like to share what God has done for you...or is that too much gish gallop?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:26 AM

51,058 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Quote:
God has been merciful to me every day of my wretched life. How about you norm? Would you like to share what God has done for you...or is that too much gish gallop?
If every day of your life has been wretched, then you're following the wrong path.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Wrong answer.

The slavery laws set down was HOW to treat a slave, not to disallow slavery. Giving the law that as long as a slave who is beaten lives for two days, and dies later, and the owner is not punished is not any kind of mercy. Allowing slavery is not any kind of mercy.

Allowing your raped daughter to have to marry her assailant because said assailant paid the father 50 shekels is not the sign of a merciful god. Imagine that poor girl having to live a live time with an abuser? No mercy shown by that god.

Any god who is so despicable to allow these things to happen is not a god worth worshiping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality