Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 06:17 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Well, I hate to break it to you, but there are a lot of people out there who have "no ethics."

The more you teach people that there are ultimately no consequences for their actions, the less "ethics" you will see.

It's easy for you to be atheist. You're well fed. You have everything you desire within 72 hours max. You are complacent.

We'll see if you still hold onto your "ethics" when things go south. Maybe you will, but that only makes you weak as an atheist because there are other atheists who will not see the logic in holding onto "ethics" when their survival is at stake.

You get what you want though. Maybe you are incredibly strong and can deal with this type of society. I doubt it though.
I think the term you are looking for is sociopath, not atheist. The two things have nothing to do with one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 06:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think the term you are looking for is sociopath, not atheist. The two things have nothing to do with one another.
Indeed.

In my experience, one of the common denominators in both sociopaths and fundamentalists is a lack of empathy.

In sociopaths, the lack of empathy extends to anyone outside themselves.

In fundies, it extends to anyone outside their sect.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Lucky for humanists that there are so few of them in prison. Current statistics indicate that atheists represent about a tenth of one percent of the prison population.

RELIGION PRISON POP. GENERAL POP.
Protestant 28.7% 44.0%
Catholic 24.0 25.1
Muslim 8.4 0.6
Native American 3.1 0.1
Pagan 2.0 0.1
Jewish 1.7 1.2
Churches of Christ 1.5 0.8
Buddhist 1.0 0.5
Jehovah’s Witness 0.7 0.8
Seventh Day Adventist 0.3 0.4
Mormon 0.3 1.4
Eastern Orthodox 0.2 0.4
Apostolic 0.2 0.4
Hindu 0.1 0.3
Atheist 0.1 0.7
Pentecostal 0.1 2.4
Sikh <0.1 <0.1
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...o-be-atheists/

Is the humanist solution to the ecosystem problems the elimination of humans? Well, no. The humanist solution is to call attention to the problem through education. The religious solution seems to be that humans were given dominion over the earth and ecosystem problems are a myth created by humanists.

The religious find justification for mass murder in their religious texts. Humanists find no justification for mass murder, PERIOD.
Learn to read statistics. The percent of certain groups is higher than their proportion of the population. Atheists then, have a 1 in 7 chance of being criminals. I know you like feeling morally superior, but would that statistic still be the same when it was 51% of the population?

https://itsnobody.wordpress.com/2012...more-peaceful/

Atheism and violence - Conservapedia

Not necessarily more peaceful.
'
https://religioninpublic.blog/2017/0...and-agnostics/

More atheists are liberal than conservative.

Jail survey: 7 in 10 felons register as Democrats

Closer to 70% then.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:43 PM

678 posts, read 429,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
After reading some of the posts on this forum, I thought it odd that so many atheists come out of their way to come here to attempt to discredit Christ.

If I were an atheist, I wouldn't care. Nothing like this would matter.

I mean, why would I care about what someone else believes?

In fact, some of them can get downright rude about it. But for some reason, atheists feel they have the right to do it.

Could it be they are searching for the truth?

Or maybe they see the truth, but they're fighting to submit to the one true God?

For all the atheists who lurk here, what do you say?
I'm not an atheist, but I believe most people on here (especially atheists who were once Christians) are trying to help. For example, I would love to help people on here become more open-minded and not live in fear, but am failing miserably

Old 12-04-2017, 08:44 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Lucky for humanists that there are so few of them in prison. Current statistics indicate that atheists represent about a tenth of one percent of the prison population.

RELIGION PRISON POP. GENERAL POP.
Protestant 28.7% 44.0%
Catholic 24.0 25.1
Muslim 8.4 0.6
Native American 3.1 0.1
Pagan 2.0 0.1
Jewish 1.7 1.2
Churches of Christ 1.5 0.8
Buddhist 1.0 0.5
Jehovah’s Witness 0.7 0.8
Seventh Day Adventist 0.3 0.4
Mormon 0.3 1.4
Eastern Orthodox 0.2 0.4
Apostolic 0.2 0.4
Hindu 0.1 0.3
Atheist 0.1 0.7
Pentecostal 0.1 2.4
Sikh <0.1 <0.1
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...o-be-atheists/

Is the humanist solution to the ecosystem problems the elimination of humans? Well, no. The humanist solution is to call attention to the problem through education. The religious solution seems to be that humans were given dominion over the earth and ecosystem problems are a myth created by humanists.

The religious find justification for mass murder in their religious texts. Humanists find no justification for mass murder, PERIOD.

By this logic, Sikhism trumps Atheism.
You should convert to be a Sikh. It will also help you financially by not ever going to a barber shop for a haircut also never spending any money on shaving.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:55 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Learn to read statistics. The percent of certain groups is higher than their proportion of the population. Atheists then, have a 1 in 7 chance of being criminals. I know you like feeling morally superior, but would that statistic still be the same when it was 51% of the population?

Atheism and violence - Conservapedia

Not necessarily more peaceful.
'
https://religioninpublic.blog/2017/0...and-agnostics/

More atheists are liberal than conservative.

Jail survey: 7 in 10 felons register as Democrats

Closer to 70% then.
What a great fool it is to be an atheist.

Now the fools (atheists) have come up with more lies/atheistic propaganda. They discourage criticism and scrutiny of their atheistic propaganda because they know that their propaganda is all wrong and false.

Why would an atheist allow people to question, criticize, and scrutinize their propaganda since they are staunch anti-science fanatics and strongly the oppose the concept of criticism and scrutiny (one of the main principles in science)

What the heck?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:02 PM

Well yea. I also noticed all those Buddhist criminals.

Let's talk instead about the author of this quote.

Quote:

"Education."

Are you serious? Population control IS mass murder. It is basically propaganda for getting people to get their tubes tied, thus murdering potential future generations.

Are you aware that far from running out of space and resources, we could give each person a town house for their family and have space for every living person in... Texas. The actual problem is not overpopulation but gross mismanagement of resources.

What the heck L8Gr8t, is that atheists like to preach to us about religious extremism, yet they are no better, and in some cases worse, than the rest of the population. No better as being human there are lots of reasons for violence. For example, some countries will kill people just for wearing the wrong outfit. Worse, in that they are trying to amputate something core to the human experience, without understanding it.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Do...-Poison/133457

Old 12-04-2017, 09:09 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
If you're a creationist you won't give any weight to this argument but I've heard that both Atheism and Liberalism are tied to evolutionary novelty. I did a search and came up with this:

The Nature and Evolutionary Constraints on the Human Brain

Adaptations, physical or psychological, are designed for and adapted to the conditions of the ancestral environment, not necessarily to the current environment. This fundamental principle of evolution holds equally for psychological adaptations as it does for physical adaptations. Pioneers of evolutionary psychology all recognized this. I systematized these observations into what I call the Savanna Principle: The human brain has difficulty comprehending and dealing with entities and situations that did not exist in the ancestral environment (Kanazawa 2004a). Other evolutionary psychologists call the same observation the mismatch hypothesis or the evolutionary legacy hypothesis, but the fundamental observation is the same.

Evolutionarily novel entities that more intelligent individuals are better able to comprehend and deal with may include ideas and lifestyles, which form the basis of their preferences and values. It would be very difficult for individuals to prefer or value something that they cannot truly comprehend. So, applied to the origin of preferences and values, the Hypothesis suggests that more intelligent individuals may be more likely than less intelligent individuals to acquire and espouse evolutionarily novel preferences and values that did not exist in the ancestral environment and thus our ancestors did not have, but general intelligence has no effect on the acquisition and espousal of evolutionarily familiar preferences and values that existed in the ancestral environment. In particular, the Hypothesis leads to predictions about three evolutionarily novel values of liberalism, atheism, and, for men, sexual exclusivity, and how general intelligence may affect their acquisition and espousal.

Why Liberals and Atheists are More Intelligent | American Sociological Association

Old 12-04-2017, 09:26 PM

Intelligence is overrated.

Quote:
What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?
https://nypost.com/2016/06/09/scienc...chotic-traits/

https://www.mississippivalleypublish...dc89a99b2.html

Quote:
What good is intellect if it’s not put to good use?
Or to put it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry8CpIg2fvU

Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
By this logic, Sikhism trumps Atheism.
You should convert to be a Sikh. It will also help you financially by not ever going to a barber shop for a haircut also never spending any money on shaving.
Thank you for demonstrating the concept of respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality