Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 11:36 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
The silliest part of it all is atheists think it banged into being by accident with nobody creating it. Nothing happens that way. And I refuse to believe this world and my life is an accident.
You have zero proof for this position. No one knows what the composition of existence was and why it expanded. We can hypothesize its composition by the elements we can examine. It is far more "silly" to suggest a supernatural eternal being over what we can observe through scientific examination and natural occurrence.

We do not observe humans being created from dust. We do not observe individuals creating wine from just water. We do not observe the splitting of seas. We do not observe humans walking on water. We do not observe humans being raised from the dead. We do not observe talking donkeys, or five thousand being fed from 4 fish and 2 loaves. These are things that just don't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 01:08 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Try again. Saying atheism is a religion is like saying off is a TV channel. And if you want to be an atheist, be one. No one's forcing you to believe in the eternal surveillance camera. As for atheists being scammers, you have that all wrong. Churches are the ones who don't pay taxes, not atheists.
When a TV is "OFF"...is makes no sound, puts out no picture or info.
Hardly descriptive of what is put out by those that have over TEN THOUSAND (or several times that) entries to a interweb forum preaching their Atheist Religion.
Atheism is only like "BALD" relative to hair color, or "OFF" relative to watching and listening to a television, when it puts forth nothing at all.
If your statement was truthful...you, nor any other Atheists, would be on this board proselytizing Atheism.
You are as "devoted" to your Religion as it gets. And that Religion is Atheism.
It is YOU that needs to "try again".

Old 12-03-2017, 01:43 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Is atheism a religion?

This is just a simple google search, folks. Apparently the debate is not new.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:30 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Difficult to keep them on task sometimes, ain't it?
Well, we're told we're slow, so ...

Old 12-03-2017, 02:51 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
For all the atheists who lurk here, what do you say?
I'll make a deal with you. You get every single christian on the planet to stop beating me over the head with their bibles and forcing me to live my life in accordance with your religious laws, and I promise not to pay any more attention to christianity than I do any other primitive superstition. But as long as christians insist on getting in my face and interfering with the way I choose to live my life, I'm gonna be up in y'all's faces, too. Deal?

Old 12-03-2017, 02:53 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
The silliest part of it all is atheists think it banged into being by accident with nobody creating it. Nothing happens that way. And I refuse to believe this world and my life is an accident.
That's a misrepresentation of the current science. A lot of things happen every day (tides and other diurnal forces for example, or more generally the orbital interaction of heavenly bodies) that don't have an intelligent agent behind them, but we don't disparage them as "accidental".

Where the science seems to be gradually settling these days is around the notion that the universe itself is eternal and uncreated. This is not fully settled / proven science at this time, it is a hypothesis that is falsifiable / testable / examinable through math and physics. Until that is fully sorted out the basic question is whether you are going to run with unsubstantiatable assertions or just admit you don't know for sure.

As to what is more likely to be true we have a testable hypothesis (or, really, several testable hypotheses) over against bald assertions. I know which I think is more likely to be true.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:52 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
When a TV is "OFF"...is makes no sound, puts out no picture or info.
Hardly descriptive of what is put out by those that have over TEN THOUSAND (or several times that) entries to a interweb forum preaching their Atheist Religion.
Atheism is only like "BALD" relative to hair color, or "OFF" relative to watching and listening to a television, when it puts forth nothing at all.
If your statement was truthful...you, nor any other Atheists, would be on this board proselytizing Atheism.
You are as "devoted" to your Religion as it gets. And that Religion is Atheism.
It is YOU that needs to "try again".
No. You do. An analogy does not have to be an exact replica (unless it is being as proof of something being true). The point is that an unresponsive TV showing no particular programme is not broadcasting a channel. We putting out not religious sound, no religious picture and no religious info. We are putting out rational sound, logical pictures and evidence -based info. and so the analogy can't be pushed to hard, but the fact is that atheism isn't a religion in the way that Off isn't selection of a channel, Bald is not a hair -colour and not collecting stamps, matchbox labels or hub caps is not a kind of hobby. It is a lack of one.

True the analogy can't be pushed until it breaks down, but that isn't the point, and you are smart enough to know it, but (as usual) are delighted to wind us up using any pettifogging lawyer tricks you can think up.

Why, you are even overlooking the killer response that, even if atheism was a religion (be some reasonable definition) it would still be the one with the best case. And you can save your illogical argument that negative evidence is not valid evidence.

Back to the drawing board you go. This time, stay there until you have learned how to draw.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-03-2017 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Corrected spelling of "bald." Left British spelling of Programme and Colour. ;)

Old 12-03-2017, 06:30 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,394 times
Transponder. Be real.

I have like 14 or 16 PMs as evidence, that you were very much faithful to your worldview. That is, it is faith. Faith is the worldview that one is faithful to.

Bald is not a hair color. Off is not a TV setting. But atheism is a faith.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:47 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Transponder. Be real.

I have like 14 or 16 PMs as evidence, that you were very much faithful to your worldview. That is, it is faith. Faith is the worldview that one is faithful to.

That's an opinion. You're welcome to it.

Frankly, who cares?

Old 12-03-2017, 07:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Transponder. Be real.

Faith in what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality