Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 08:56 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
Here's the deal. More people in the US agree with Christian values than silly atheist values?
Nope; most people agree with generally accepted humanist values, including atheists. Many buy into the claim that they are god -given. We don't.

Quote:
I mean, the world came into being from a BANG? Ba ha ha hahahhahahahah. That's silly.
A lot of stuff that seemed incredible once was proved to be true. The Universe, on all the evidence, came from the expansion event dubbed (by a religious person, I believe) "The Big Bang" and the name caught on. Laughter and incredulity in the face of evidence is silly, not the conclusion based on the evidence.

The evidence shows that stars formed out of the universe -matter, and planets, including our earth, out of that. It was not all made in 6 days. That, is Silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 09:06 PM

231 posts, read 228,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Nope; most people agree with generally accepted humanist values, including atheists. Many buy into the claim that they are god -given. We don't.

A lot of stuff that seemed incredible once was proved to be true. The Universe, on all the evidence, came from the expansion event dubbed (by a religious person, I believe) "The Big Bang" and the name caught on. Laughter and incredulity in the face of evidence is silly, not the conclusion based on the evidence.

The evidence shows that stars formed out of the universe -matter, and planets, including our earth, out of that. It was not all made in 6 days. That, is Silly.
The silliest part of it all is atheists think it banged into being by accident with nobody creating it. Nothing happens that way. And I refuse to believe this world and my life is an accident.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:12 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Kinda ironic, huh? It works both ways.

The difference is a Christian is commissioned by his belief to go into the world to tell the gospel.

What's an atheist's reason? Where they commissioned by the sun?

BTW, that's the point of this post.
The only commissioning you have is self-appointed, and that holds no authority whatsoever. You have no more power and influence than any other American citizen.

Atheists simply state their viewpoints for people to consider and accept or reject. And those who reject our beliefs are not threatened with hell and damnation.

Honestly, get over yourself.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:39 PM

231 posts, read 228,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The only commissioning you have is self-appointed, and that holds no authority whatsoever. You have no more power and influence than any other American citizen.

Atheists simply state their viewpoints for people to consider and accept or reject. And those who reject our beliefs are not threatened with hell and damnation.

Honestly, get over yourself.
In Christianity, there's a thing called the great commission where he said to go into the world and proclaim the gospel. That's why Christians do it.

I didn't say it gave me more power than any other citizen. You're reading more into than just the things I said. Get off your high horse.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal77 View Post
in christianity, there's a thing called the great commission where he said to go into the world and proclaim the gospel. that's why christians do it.

I didn't say it gave me more power than any other citizen. You're reading more into than just the things i said. Get off your high horse.

AND WE DON'T CARE. You are turning off more people than you are turning on. So keep up the good work.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
The silliest part of it all is atheists think it banged into being by accident with nobody creating it. Nothing happens that way. And I refuse to believe this world and my life is an accident.
When was the last time you saw a god pop things into existence? You are free to believe any "silly" thing you want, but you have zero proof of your belief. We observe humans growing from small sperm cells and eggs. We observe towering trees start from a small seed. Evolution and nature are observable. Your God is not.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
In Christianity, there's a thing called the great commission where he said to go into the world and proclaim the gospel. That's why Christians do it.

I didn't say it gave me more power than any other citizen. You're reading more into than just the things I said. Get off your high horse.
More like a great ego trip for sanctimonious bible babblers.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:12 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
AND WE DON'T CARE. You are turning off more people than you are turning on. So keep up the good work.
Dude, seriously.

Suppose you are given a job to do. Maybe it's not even a job you like, but someone you admire greatly gave it to you. This job involves telling someone something that is in their best interests, but which they don't want to hear. Now, they could just say "thank you for your time, I'll consider it." The Bible explicitly says if people dont believe after you tell them, they are under no more responsibility, so it seems to me that a very basic decent thing would be to humor them, but give no definite answer. If you wonder why followers of Jesus are so obnoxious, it could have something to do with this shoot the messenger approach.

I'm gonna give a secular example. JamieOliver, famed insane health guru, has decided the town of Tucumcari is morbidly obese, as a result of all of the churros they eat. You, being a loyal follower of the Food Network, hear his vague "if anyone could stop them from eating churros that would make things better, and I know they wont all stop but if even some of them promise, that would be awesome." You decide he is speaking directly to you, so you go out on a long back roads road trip. When you get there, they are busy painting murals and have no time for you. But you tell them anyway. Rather than just lying to you and letting you go to the next house, they harrass you. They bake a giant churro, stuff you inside and roll you downhill.

Or suppose Stephen Hawking told you to go and talk about quantum mechanics. Would you get anywhere near this reception if your message wasn't openly hostile? How would you like to be treated?

Let's see what exactly this message is: love your neighbor as yourself, do unto others as you would have them do unto you (seriously, I don't think if you were in our position, you would want this same made treastment). If anything, they want to talk to people who are receptive and want to and otherwise live a normal life. So think carefully about blanket rejection of their basic presence when all that is needed is to humor the other.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:16 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
I suppose you'd like us to remember how to treat you when you have to go door to door. What, you wanted to hand out girl scout cookines? Well tough luck you godless heathen.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Dude, seriously.

Suppose you are given a job to do. Maybe it's not even a job you like, but someone you admire greatly gave it to you. This job involves telling someone something that is in their best interests, but which they don't want to hear. Now, they could just say "thank you for your time, I'll consider it." The Bible explicitly says if people dont believe after you tell them, they are under no more responsibility, so it seems to me that a very basic decent thing would be to humor them, but give no definite answer. If you wonder why followers of Jesus are so obnoxious, it could have something to do with this shoot the messenger approach.

I'm gonna give a secular example. JamieOliver, famed insane health guru, has decided the town of Tucumcari is morbidly obese, as a result of all of the churros they eat. You, being a loyal follower of the Food Network, hear his vague "if anyone could stop them from eating churros that would make things better, and I know they wont all stop but if even some of them promise, that would be awesome." You decide he is speaking directly to you, so you go out on a long back roads road trip. When you get there, they are busy painting murals and have no time for you. But you tell them anyway. Rather than just lying to you and letting you go to the next house, they harrass you. They bake a giant churro, stuff you inside and roll you downhill.

Or suppose Stephen Hawking told you to go and talk about quantum mechanics. Would you get anywhere near this reception if your message wasn't openly hostile? How would you like to be treated?

Let's see what exactly this message is: love your neighbor as yourself, do unto others as you would have them do unto you (seriously, I don't think if you were in our position, you would want this same made treastment). If anything, they want to talk to people who are receptive and want to and otherwise live a normal life. So think carefully about blanket rejection of their basic presence when all that is needed is to humor the other.
We don't care about your religious missions. Period. You can give all the justifications you want. They have no meaning to non-believers. None. Nada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality