Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 PM

15,902 posts, read 6,377,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The type of Atheism you cite in this post is a "passive" genre of Atheism. This kind of Atheism is "mere disbelief" and really doesn't even deeply analyze the matter...let alone dwell on it.
It is just simply, "a lack of belief in Gods"

Not to be confused with the "active" type of Atheism that those on this board practice. This is the Religious Atheism genre of the concept.
It is replete with heavy proselytizing of the ideology and its doctrine. The ultra-devoted aherents to the concept levy severe criticism and denigration of differing Beliefs, and dedicate hundreds, even thousands, of hours of proprietary time to this effort.
This is a deep-seated "Belief in a lack of Gods". This Belief is based upon the flawed premise of "no known evidence" and is essentially illogical in the context of a Pure Logic Protocol...but, as is typical of all Fundie Religious, this doesn't matter to them...and they are staunchly devoted to clinging to their illogical ideas.
"Simple non belief" doesn't compel you to devote many thousands of the precious hours of your life putting thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands of posts, on internet forums...analyzing, criticizing, insulting, and bashing the subjects/issues of your non-belief. Not unless you are not of sound mind and suffer from some type of obsessive-compulsive disorder that you are helpless to control. No...that's, by definition, a "religion".
"Religion" has many different definitions...some not related to theology, but more towards an attitude or mindset about something. Those are two different meanings. BUT...there IS a meaning/definition that CAN be assigned to Atheism depending upon the attitude/mindset of the person that holds that concept. THUS...Atheism CAN be "religion"...if a person is sufficiently perfervid about it. BTW...that would include most of the Atheists that post to this FORUM...ESPECIALLY you.
I've discussed this on the recovery board. There is a certain amount of healing that has to take place and to do that one has to spend some time on it. Years for many of us. For some of us that takes the form of activism. I have often wondered how much of this was the early childhood training we received in the group. We were trained from a very young age to speak up and warn others of "the truth" no matter the personal cost to ourselves. Many of us feel compelled to warn others and we think it may have at least a little to do with that training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 PM

231 posts, read 229,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm not an atheist.

And of the dozen or so atheists I know (virtually and in rl) only two fit that bill.

However, every fundie I've come across on these forums acts like a holier-than-thou, sanctimonious rear orifice.
Wait. You're going to tell me, "I love the bitter, impotent bellowing of fundies as they sink into the tar sands of irrelevance."

And then say I'M acting like a rear orifice.....lol Look in the mirror.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,260,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
Wait. You're going to tell me, "I love the bitter, impotent bellowing of fundies as they sink into the tar sands of irrelevance."

I have. And am not afraid to squint.

How about you?

Old 12-03-2017, 09:45 PM

You guys can't really carry on real conversations, can you?

Just a lot of double talk, poking, and no answers.

I asked two very specific questions that pertain to the thread topic and I get nothing.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:46 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,260,665 times
Quote:

I asked two very specific questions that pertain to the thread topic and I get nothing.
Pose them again. I have ADD.

Tangents are for following....

Old 12-03-2017, 10:02 PM

15,902 posts, read 6,377,540 times
Quote:

OK. Since it hasn't sunk it yet that saying "why do atheists feel the need to discredit Christ?" is not really a question but an accusation and therefore unanswerable I will go through your original post point by point.

Quote:
After reading some of the posts on this forum, I thought it odd that so many atheists come out of their way to come here to attempt to discredit Christ.
That is your statement based on your assumptions.

Quote:
If I were an atheist, I wouldn't care. Nothing like this would matter.
Maybe, maybe not. Plenty of us have reasons to care.

Quote:
I mean, why would I care about what someone else believes?
It's not about that.

Quote:
In fact, some of them can get downright rude about it. But for some reason, atheists feel they have the right to do it.
Once again you are stating what someone else thinks.

Quote:
Could it be they are searching for the truth?
I can't speak for anyone else. I'm not a seeker. I do believe there is such a thing as "the truth" but I don't believe I, or anyone else, has the capacity to "find" it.

Quote:
Or maybe they see the truth, but they're fighting to submit to the one true God?

For all the atheists who lurk here, what do you say?
This I don't get. Why would anyone "fight" "submitting to God if they saw God? What does that even mean? Do you really think we are atheists because we don't want there to be a benevolent, all powerful God capable of turning wrongs into rights? Do you really think I don't want suffering to make sense on some level or for people to return to some blissful state after death?

Old 12-03-2017, 10:14 PM

51,057 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Quote:

Are your posts in this thread what you consider be based on teachings of Jesus? Because I was a Christian for over 60 years, and what you post here does not sound very Christ-like to me.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:43 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,674,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I've discussed this on the recovery board. There is a certain amount of healing that has to take place and to do that one has to spend some time on it. Years for many of us. For some of us that takes the form of activism. I have often wondered how much of this was the early childhood training we received in the group. We were trained from a very young age to speak up and warn others of "the truth" no matter the personal cost to ourselves. Many of us feel compelled to warn others and we think it may have at least a little to do with that training.
Yes...I understand where a person in that position would adapt their past familiar ways to Atheism, or many other things.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:46 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,890,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I would love to be an atheist. You can do whatever the hell you want as long as you don't get caught. I could have figured out a way to scam some unsuspecting people and make a lot of money in the process.
Ah! So the only thing stopping you being a complete arse is the fear of being caught by your god. Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Atheism declares that there is no God. Am I missing something?
Yes you are. What you are clearly missing is what atheism 'declares'.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:31 PM

You know, i find it impossible to communicate with you guys.

You won't answer my questions. I'll leave you to your atheist church service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality