Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 05:58 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times

Advertisements

the brain dies in a predictable manner. Of course people with different beliefs see similar things. The only difference would be the memory and experiences. I see "whatever" and they people most dear to them.

It has to do with the pathways used during the shutdown process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 07:15 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,899,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
the brain dies in a predictable manner. Of course people with different beliefs see similar things. The only difference would be the memory and experiences. I see "whatever" and they people most dear to them.

It has to do with the pathways used during the shutdown process.
But the people have an enhanced ability to "see" what is going on around them. That doesn't exactly sound like dying to me. Personally I think they are just more in tune with the people around them, which creates a clearer picture of what is happening to them.

But if they were merely dying and shutting down wouldn't the exact opposite be happening?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:06 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm reading a book right now called "Closer to the Light" by Melvin Morse. A medical doctor studying the NDE experiences of children. It's pretty good. He doesn't try to say it's anything having to do with the "spirit" but that it has been occurring since recorded ancient times. And too many people dismiss it these days, considering that it has such profound impacts on the people experiencing it.
That is wonderful of this Dr. Morse.
I hope he keeps up the good work and inspires other good scholars to investigate further as well.

Indeed ancient times. That is why everytime I hear about NDEs, the very vivid descriptions of the afterlife in the Story of Soldier Er at the end of Plato's Republic (gross as his literally anti-agnostic/anti-atheist ideas there may be) come to my mind.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
But the people have an enhanced ability to "see" what is going on around them. That doesn't exactly sound like dying to me. Personally I think they are just more in tune with the people around them, which creates a clearer picture of what is happening to them.

But if they were merely dying and shutting down wouldn't the exact opposite be happening?
I would have to the know the situation.

Think of the opposite happing. Have you ever dipped a hot metal rod in water? You would think it cools down right? Well, while you are dipping that rod in the water, the end you are holding actually heats up a little bit.

Yes, I see no reason for a particular region of the brain to become more active at any given time during the shut down. For any number or reasons. "potentials" building up and/or changing causing any number of thoughts. Like An engine running out of gas over revs for a second or two. lmao, I have seem and engine run for a while without a fuel supply (left over flue in the line and hot engine).

I can see the brain, due to the shut down, not centering itself in the body also. The brain would "center itself", due to losing inputs or just a disruption in the inputs signals, itself next to the bed.. I mean just the wrong "order of operations" can cause some freaky illusions. I am not going into brain function because I am typing to much already.

I can see the brain, during shutdown, mixing and match different memories that are left over or dislodged. Like a memory of something you had no idea you had until the stress of the shut down dislodged it. Like a picture of your mother at 5 and your living mother memory mixing. The mix = your mom at 5 talking to you.

wow I have to stop. your "more truth" is just probably heightened senses while shutting down.

Listen, you know I believe we are part of a more complex system. That system is best described as "life" by far. I mean at this point its not even close. But the brain is still the brain.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:54 AM

16,822 posts, read 5,027,893 times
Quote:
But are they really seeing things better, or is it just their dying brains falling back on it's cultural memory? Hence the different NDEs. And a clearer view of the world once they are brought back to life?

Quote:
The problem is it's difficult to conduct experiments at that time considering the circumstances.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,213,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
What sort of a control group do you think would work?
Clinically speaking, the control group would be composed of persons not exposed to any influences which could taint the test or skew the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Mircea's reaction is simply a product of her conditioning. She had expectations as to religious motivations (in terms of propaganda, etc.) merely from the putting forth of such a story [#atheistfindsCatholicJesus, etc.].
My conditioning is the product of extensive course-work in psychology, sociology and the hard sciences, where testing and experimentation is conducted with the goal of eliminating and isolating extraneous variables.

And, I'm a he, not a she.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,899,131 times
It seems like some atheists have a Negative view of the universe and their lives. But the people who undergo these experiences come out with a Positive outlook. They see connections of love and energy between themselves and all living things, for example which they were unable to see before the experience.

I think Charles Dickens did the best thing on this phenomenon with Scrooge. That character had an experience on the psychic level that was very similar in its results. That might have also been the original meaning in the story of Jonah and the whale.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:47 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,951,328 times
Dimethyltryptamine is a very powerful molecule.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:01 AM

18,516 posts, read 9,199,898 times
I’m not too impressed by these afterlife stories. Several years ago, I would routinely go in and out of “the afterlife” during panic attacks. Going to “the afterlife” became fairy routine for me.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
It seems like some atheists have a Negative view of the universe and their lives. But the people who undergo these experiences come out with a Positive outlook. They see connections of love and energy between themselves and all living things, for example which they were unable to see before the experience.

I think Charles Dickens did the best thing on this phenomenon with Scrooge. That character had an experience on the psychic level that was very similar in its results. That might have also been the original meaning in the story of Jonah and the whale.
anti-religious demonstrations of atheism do have a negative view of the universe. The "I must deny everything" can't be a happy place.

The mental gymnastics and intellectual dishonesty to claim "natural" as a legitimate classification past human made and not human made is taxing. The mental gymnastics and intellectual dishonesty to claim "random" in the face of not that random takes a certain amount of dislike for not being in control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality