Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 06:12 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,999,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Yes, the next part of your post certainly is.

No, actually, this is more than pure balony. It's a steaming pile of pure horse doo-doo.

Now comes the time when I ask for evidence, and you have to change the subject because you have none.

Quote:
You must not have read one of my recent posts when I outlined the GOP education platform for the state of Texas -- and in case you don't know, the rest of the country tends to follow Texas' lead when it comes to education -- for some mysterious reason.

Their platform goes something like this (and feel very free to google it if you think I'm full of it):

Whether I believe you or not i irrelevant. Since he DOE and the influence of teacher unions America has gone from #1 in education to # 12 or 13. What in their proposal is bad for education.?

Quote:
"We reject the teaching of HOT (Higher Order Thinking) Skills such as critical thinking, data analysis, comparing and contrasting, and pattern recognition, because we believe these skills pose a direct challenge to parental authority and traditionally held belief systems."

In other words, my erroneous friend, it's not the public schools that has taken America from #1 to #13 (I'm pretty sure we're actually worse than #13). It is conservative Christianity that has sucked our education system dry of anything meaningful.

Get serious, Anything that mentions God was sucked out of the pubic school system years ago. The liberals scream "separation of church and state" at the top of heir voice if anything even smells of religion in the public schools .

I doubt if the HOT came out of the Republicans, It probably originated in the DOE. If you give m a link, I will check it out.

Quote:

I used to be in the field of education --- and received my credentials in secondary education: social studies.

And during meetings and grad school classes, I have watched more than a dozen teachers either break down into tears or thump the table in fury over how Republicans and Christianity are involved in a concerted effort to "dumb down America" -- and they've succeeded, hence why we have who we have in the Oval Office right now. For the first time in U.S. history, we are being led from the bottom up.
I am not criticizing teachers, only the system they have to work under.

It was not Republican and especially not Christians who dumbed down the system. It was mainly the PC crowd who though it is was better to have everyone pass than to have 1 fail. A great lesson for when they had to go yo works and if he failed, and some would, and were fired.

Quote:
And no, this isn't some bullshyte conspiracy. Read the GOP platform again. What does it say?

Well, it says, for all intents and purposes, that they do not want pubic schools teaching kids HOW to think so Christianity and right-wingers can tell kids WHAT to think.

What is it about Christianity or God can' be mentioned in public schools that you don't understand?

Quote:
After all, what else is a "traditionally held belief system" other than religion? It sure as hell isn't maintaining a belief in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, now, is it.

They feel that knowing how to think poses a direct threat to their religion -- in other words, you have to be "dumbed down" in order for the brainwashing to take effect. No kidding, right?

I don't believe any of your rant. The republican idea of education is that it should be controlled by the statgs.

Quote:
THAT is what is causing our system to slip ever further down the rankings -- especially when kids are answering scientific questions with Bible stories .... ya know?

More pure bolony. As usual you offered no evidence.

Quote:
I mean, there are other reasons, too -- our culture's lack of respect for intelligence and academic achievement, for one thing. Here in the U.S., being an athlete is where it's at. If you want to have friends, get the girls, and score special perks from the teachers, be an athlete and NOT a brainiac. Strive for intellectual mediocrity but physical excellence.

While there is an element of truth in what you say, it is not a cause of our system being broken.

Quote:
Also, we allow non-educators to decide what each district's curriculum should be. There are NO qualifications to win a school board election -- which means our schools can be run by housewives, auto mechanics, accountants, and cashiers. People with no experience or credentials in the field of education. No other professional organization like the AMA or the Bar Association has rank amateurs running the show. Only in education.

More excuses.

Quote:
Sure, there are lousy teachers. But one of the reasons why I decided not to go into teaching high school and went for a spot in academia was because I wanted no part of a system whereby teachers had ALL the responsibility but NO authority.

You can thank the DOE and teacher unions for that. One basic reason of our failed system is the lack of discipline and the inability of teahers to get the touble makers out of the classroom.

Quote:
Teachers were getting blamed for everything - regardless of a student's home life, regardless of their mental illnesses, regardless of their lack of desire to learn, regardless of a whole host of things that are beyond a teacher's control. These days, parents want schools to not just teach their kids but babysit them, as well. I did not want to get a masters degree to be a professional babysitter.

I know this thread isn't about education, but when I see someone so egregiously misdirecting the blame, especially when religion is a HUGE part of the problem, I felt compelled to set the record straight.

You have misread my post. I in no way am blaming teachers. I am blaming the corrupt system they have to work under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Darn. To paraphrase John (Bluto) Blutarsky..... "Oh no! 40 years in colleges, down the drain!"

FWIW, I was just trying to do you a favor, so you could quit using the term to mean something it does not, but never mind. I have no idea what your second sentence above means, but it doesn't describe any use of "emeritus" that I have ever seen (during those 40 years I wasted, working in academia).

As for your first sentence.... you misspelled baloney... or bologna, if you prefer.

I didn't misspell bologna. Bolony has a different meaning. I thought everyone knew that.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
You seem kinda angry, Omega? You may have skipped the part where I said I accept the historicity of Jesus.

I only get angry when the person gets insulting. Not when they insult me. I expect that and enjoy it, but when they insult honorable people, they don't even know. So far you haved been vey civil. TGhank you.

Quote:
But to your points, I'm not sure what liberal or conservative has to do with an accurate reading of history. I'm also not sure how else you go about establishing that, other than by what is written, when we are talking about events that happened 2000 years ago?
I am not much concerned with how secular history is written or interpreted. I only say that where the Bible touches on history, it is accurate.

Quote:
We are lacking archaeological evidence, and obviously don't have recordings.
It is unlikely that records over 2000 years ole have survived. It is also possible that some,

Quote:
We also don't have eyewitness accounts... the Gospels were written 40-100 years after Jesus died, by anonymous authors who were assigned the name of apostles during the editorial process. The Gospels were not written by someone who sat down to record events they observed, for the sake of "history"....
When any book of the Bible was written or who wrote it is is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is did God inspire what is written. When was the last biography of George Washington was written?

Quote:
they were written to support the political and theological needs of a growing movement (i.e., Christianity).
Pure unsupported bolony.

Quote:
We also know that some of the authors plagiarized the others, so there probably aren't a full 7.
Be specific. Opinions, especially very biased one are worthless.

Quote:
So, in fact, we could start to "disqualify" some of the writings, were we so inclined (but again, I am not). You (and all Christians) should be happy for he work of Ehrman and others, who support (at least some) biblical content through non-biblical sources and careful textual analysis.
And you should be more discerning and insist on some evidence for his opinions. He doesn't t offer any, because he can't.

Quote:
And you misspelled "baloney" again.
Hopefully by now you have discovered the difference between bologna and bolony.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:44 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Now comes the time when I ask for evidence, and you have to change the subject because you have none.

Whether I believe you or not i irrelevant. Since he DOE and the influence of teacher unions America has gone from #1 in education to # 12 or 13. What in their proposal is bad for education.?

Get serious, Anything that mentions God was sucked out of the pubic school system years ago. The liberals scream "separation of church and state" at the top of heir voice if anything even smells of religion in the public schools .

I doubt if the HOT came out of the Republicans, It probably originated in the DOE. If you give m a link, I will check it out.

I am not criticizing teachers, only the system they have to work under.

It was not Republican and especially not Christians who dumbed down the system. It was mainly the PC crowd who though it is was better to have everyone pass than to have 1 fail. A great lesson for when they had to go yo works and if he failed, and some would, and were fired.

What is it about Christianity or God can' be mentioned in public schools that you don't understand?

I don't believe any of your rant. The republican idea of education is that it should be controlled by the statgs.

More pure bolony. As usual you offered no evidence.

While there is an element of truth in what you say, it is not a cause of our system being broken.

More excuses.

You can thank the DOE and teacher unions for that. One basic reason of our failed system is the lack of discipline and the inability of teahers to get the touble makers out of the classroom.

You have misread my post. I in no way am blaming teachers. I am blaming the corrupt system they have to work under.
More rubbish, old son. You have been given evidence, which you ignore. Separation of church and state is not only constitutional, it is a good thing. To smear it as 'creaming' is simply crude well poisoning and flags up your bias for all to see.

The system is fine. It teaches education, and not religion. There's plenty of that about. What is the system that too many educational institutions are labouring under are those who have defied the educational system and instituted YE creationist curriculums and are churning out Genesis - indoctrinated dunderheads.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Unbelievable. The substantiation of several things ToE teaches have been presented...and ignored.

Talk is cheap. Present one, just one, with the scientific evidence that supports it.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Religiosity damages brains.

Amusing. Coming from someone who is as ignorant of science as he is of Christianity. You couldn't even provide he evidence that is suppose to support natural selection. I'm glad I didn't ask you a hard question.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I guess ToE is the old Earth? Christians say that is what the bible teaches but it doesn't. I think to deny an old Earth is really something, I think to deny evolution took place is really something. Having said that, not everyone who studies the bible thinks the earth is 6000 years old, lol.

The Bible doesn't give the age of he earth. Since neither guess can be proved,why not focus on what is important. he origin of matter, energy an life

Quote:
I have always said that the bible teaches evolution, and it is hard for me to understand why a lot of people don't understand this. From cover to cover it teaches of becoming a new creature and leaving the mentality of a beast behind. I would think that once the big bang was proven, it should prove God.

"After their kind," which is proved thousands of times every day, refutes evolution.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Above we have the tired old Eusebian response. 'Answer mine before I answer yours'. Of course, even someone with only half a working brain cell can see through that one.

More evidence that he can't respond to me post because he doesn't even know the basics of what he claims is incorrect. QED again.

Thanks for confirming that you still think opinions are evidence. This also confirms you don't have a clue as too what constitutes evidence.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:35 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,880,101 times
Quote:
I am not much concerned with how secular history is written or interpreted. I only say that where the Bible touches on history, it is accurate.
Yes folks...like Egypt being desolate for 40 years, so desolate that neither man nor beast will set foot in it. THAT sort of accurate history.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:43 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,090,166 times
Quote:
I didn't misspell bologna. Bolony has a different meaning. I thought everyone knew that.
It’s spelled “baloney”...But, maybe Feinberg spells it “bolony” and we all know that he’s right and Miriam Webster is wrong, right?..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality