Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times

Advertisements

No doubt this statement causes an emotional response. There are few concepts in religion that are more emotionally loaded and more misunderstood. Moderator cut: Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.

- https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1079821

Just a little education on the topic...

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-08-2018 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Lengthy copyrighted paragraphs removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 12:20 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
No doubt this statement causes an emotional response. There are few concepts in religion that are more emotionally loaded and more misunderstood. Moderator cut: Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.

Thank you, Richard. It is most enlightening. I particularly resonate with this snippet that (to me) highlights why Jesus (the seed of Abraham) came from the Israelites.

"And while one can — and at times ought to — find serious flaws in Abraham, his flaws are deliberately shown so we can know that one does not need to be perfect in order to be of service and that answering the call will inevitably lead to personal struggle and mistakes. Abraham is not a perfect human; he is a human who seeks to be more.

Chosenness continues when the Jews received the 10 commandments at Mt. Sinai. Again, whether historical fact or fiction matters not one bit, because we do have the 10 Commandments, and they came to the world through the Jews. While one can be critical (“why should an all-powerful God care if we take His name in vain?”), most criticism also comes from a deep misunderstanding. The Bible and Jewish literature does not refer to these as “commandments,” but as “statements” that flow inevitably from one to the other.

This begins with the essential and revolutionary recognition that there is an eternal, loving, involved consciousness that is the creative and sustaining force of everything. With this knowledge the rest of the statements naturally follow: we will not desire to worship the “idols” of egoic gratification because we will see that these are illusions; will not use spiritual insight for personal gain (the real meaning of “not taking God’s name in vain”); will honor our time and set aside a day to reconnect to Spirit; will feel gratitude for life and to those who gave us birth; will see others as fellow creations of God who must not be abused in any way; and finally we will not be jealous of others or want what they have because we will know that to compare ourselves is to be ungrateful for what we have been given. This radical understanding of the dynamics of life has slowly changed the world for the better."
[/b]

The above paragraph in bold contains the best interpretation of taking God's name in vain I have encountered. It equally applies to using God's name to enforce your beliefs on others.

"Jews were chosen to bring to the world this message of goodness: treat the stranger as one’s own, love your fellow as yourself, care for the widow, orphan and handicapped, give to the poor, know that Spirit is higher than material success and that you are a child of God, and most importantly, always value life. In this way, Jews are chosen to be the lamp that allows God’s light to shine in the world."

The last paragraph in bold needs only to replace the word Jews with Jesus to understand why Jesus was chosen to be the lamp that allows God’s light to shine in the world. He is the promised seed of Abraham.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-08-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 09-08-2018, 12:45 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
That the most articulate presentation of "The Way" of which I am aware came through descendants of the Hebrew ethnic group is true, and the development of the perception in the evolving expresssion within that ethnic group may be more readily apparent in their collection of literature than most. "Chosen?" I don't think I would put it that way and there is certainly no greater connection to that message within what is left of the ethnicity than any other which may respond to it as a group.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,449,948 times
And I am a Gentile. Religion serves little purpose when it is used to ends not good for all of mankind.

Judism, the Jewish religion going far back in history does not have a good record. I have no respect for it in any form. I will never lift a finger to defend that which divides us.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:14 PM

23,169 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
And I am a Gentile. Religion serves little purpose when it is used to ends not good for all of mankind.

Judism, the Jewish religion going far back in history does not have a good record. I have no respect for it in any form. I will never lift a finger to defend that which divides us.
There is God's religion and then there is your religion that you invented to replace the religion of God or your lack of religion of God. God isn't confused about his own religion, and Judaism isn't the Jewish religion, Judaism is the religion of God that Jews keep, and just because the Jews keep God's religion, doesn't make it Jewish, it is God's religion and then there is your religion. Jesus came walking in Judaism telling everyone that they had better keep Judaism better than the scribes and Pharisee and he said whoever kept the laws of Moses to then teach others to keep the laws of Moses will be the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven.....
The keeping of the laws of Moses IS JUDAISM, and there in only one people in all of history that have continuously kept God's religion, and they have continued to be the only people who are brave enough to keep God's religion.

For thousands of years the world has persecuted and killed the people who keep God's religion, and you think God is coming to reward you?

There is literally enough prophesies about what happens in the last days that nobody should have a doubt what the last days bring.....Whether you go to the book of Joel, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Zechariah, Malachi, Jeremiah, Hosea, OR ANY PROPHET YOU WANT TO PICK, the same thing is always being detailed about what happens in the last days.

What happens?

Rosh Hashanah comes judging ALL GENTILES in how they treated the chosen people who get persecuted and killed for being the chosen people who refuse to stop keeping the ways of God, and yeah, Gentiles don't want to see or admit the abundance of future prophesies detailing these facts.

Choose a prophet, and they are all going to show the world of Gentiles being Judged in Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur in how they treated Israel whether it is an individual or a nation, you persecute the chosen people, and you are judged for it, and this is justice...

Again, there is God's religion and then there is your religion, and the people brave enough to keep God's religion are persecuted and killed by pagans who reject everything called of God or that is worshipped of God, and Gentile Pagans STILL don't believe.

The end result about what happens in the last days is as clear as the nose on your face, but yeah, Gentiles just read past all these many scriptures because they are deceived, they don't want to believe the truth, and the truth is so overwhelmingly obvious.

Joel 3
The LORD Judges the Nations
1Yes, in those days and at that time,
when I restore from captivity Judah and Jerusalem,
2I will gather all the nations
and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat.
There I will enter into judgment against them
concerning My people, My inheritance, Israel,
whom they have scattered among the nations
as they divided up My land.
3They cast lots for My people;
they bartered a boy for a prostitute
and sold a girl for wine to drink.
4Now what have you against Me, O Tyre, Sidon, and all the regions of Philistia—are you rendering Me a recompense? But if you retaliate against Me, I will swiftly and speedily return retribution on your heads. 5For you took My silver and gold and carried off My finest treasures to your temples. 6You sold the people of Judah and Jerusalem to the Greeks, to send them far from their homeland.
7Behold, I will rouse them from the places to which you sold them; I will return retribution on your heads. 8I will sell your sons and daughters into the hands of the people of Judah, and they will sell them to the Sabeans, to a distant nation.”
Indeed, the LORD has spoken.
9Proclaim this among the nations:
“Prepare for war; rouse the mighty men;
let all the men of war
advance and attack!
10Beat your plowshares into swords
and your pruning hooks into spears.
Let the weak say, ‘I am strong!’
11Come quickly, all you nations on every side
and gather yourselves.
Bring down Your mighty ones, O LORD.
12Let the nations be roused
and advance into the Valley of Jehoshaphat,
for there I will sit down
to judge all the nations on every side.
13Swing the sickle,
for the harvest is ripe.
Come, trample the grapes,
for the winepress is full;
the wine vats overflow
because their wickedness is great.
14Multitudes, multitudes
in the valley of decision!
For the Day of the LORD is near
in the valley of decision.
15The sun and moon grow dark,
and the stars no longer shine.
16The LORD will roar from Zion
and raise His voice from Jerusalem;
heaven and earth will tremble.
But the LORD will be a refuge for His people,
a stronghold for the people of Israel.
Blessings for God's People
17Then you will know that I am the LORD your God,
who dwells in Zion, My holy mountain.
Jerusalem will be holy,
never again to be overrun by foreigners.
18And in that day the mountains will drip with sweet wine,
and the hills will flow with milk.
All the streams of Judah will run with water,
and a spring will flow from the house of the LORD
to water the Valley of Acacias.
19Egypt will become desolate,
and Edom a desert wasteland,
because of the violence done to the people of Judah,
in whose land they shed innocent blood.
20But Judah will be inhabited forever,
and Jerusalem from generation to generation.
21For I will acquit their bloodguilt
which I have not yet acquitted.”

Old 09-08-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thank you, Richard. It is most enlightening. I particularly resonate with this snippet that (to me) highlights why Jesus (the seed of Abraham) came from the Israelites.

"And while one can — and at times ought to — find serious flaws in Abraham, his flaws are deliberately shown so we can know that one does not need to be perfect in order to be of service and that answering the call will inevitably lead to personal struggle and mistakes. Abraham is not a perfect human; he is a human who seeks to be more.

Chosenness continues when the Jews received the 10 commandments at Mt. Sinai. Again, whether historical fact or fiction matters not one bit, because we do have the 10 Commandments, and they came to the world through the Jews. While one can be critical (“why should an all-powerful God care if we take His name in vain?”), most criticism also comes from a deep misunderstanding. The Bible and Jewish literature does not refer to these as “commandments,” but as “statements” that flow inevitably from one to the other.

This begins with the essential and revolutionary recognition that there is an eternal, loving, involved consciousness that is the creative and sustaining force of everything. With this knowledge the rest of the statements naturally follow: we will not desire to worship the “idols” of egoic gratification because we will see that these are illusions; will not use spiritual insight for personal gain (the real meaning of “not taking God’s name in vain”); will honor our time and set aside a day to reconnect to Spirit; will feel gratitude for life and to those who gave us birth; will see others as fellow creations of God who must not be abused in any way; and finally we will not be jealous of others or want what they have because we will know that to compare ourselves is to be ungrateful for what we have been given. This radical understanding of the dynamics of life has slowly changed the world for the better."
[/b]

The above paragraph in bold contains the best interpretation of taking God's name in vain I have encountered. It equally applies to using God's name to enforce your beliefs on others.

"Jews were chosen to bring to the world this message of goodness: treat the stranger as one’s own, love your fellow as yourself, care for the widow, orphan and handicapped, give to the poor, know that Spirit is higher than material success and that you are a child of God, and most importantly, always value life. In this way, Jews are chosen to be the lamp that allows God’s light to shine in the world."

The last paragraph in bold needs only to replace the word Jews with Jesus to understand why Jesus was chosen to be the lamp that allows God’s light to shine in the world. He is the promised seed of Abraham.
Well, I don’t think the Christians have done a good job if you look at their history...

Old 09-08-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
That the most articulate presentation of "The Way" of which I am aware came through descendants of the Hebrew ethnic group is true, and the development of the perception in the evolving expresssion within that ethnic group may be more readily apparent in their collection of literature than most. "Chosen?" I don't think I would put it that way and there is certainly no greater connection to that message within what is left of the ethnicity than any other which may respond to it as a group.
So you still don’t understand what we mean by “ Chosen”?...

Old 09-08-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

Look at the Christian history...Where have we Jews ever tortured people to make them convert to Judaism?...Burned people at the stakes?...No...Beat people over the head with the Torah?...No...But Christians on the other hand?...Well?...

Old 09-08-2018, 06:16 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Well, I don’t think the Christians have done a good job if you look at their history...
I agree. But that is due primarily to the innate perversity that plagues us all. Our inherent self-interest contravenes that "light" that we should consider the well-being of everyone involved in our interactions. The "mind of Christ" as revealed and demonstrated by Jesus (as you say, whether true or not) is extremely difficult for the majority to adopt. Making it about differing beliefs ABOUT God and Jesus simply confounds the efficacy of the "light" being proffered.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:07 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,730,460 times
Quote:

Abraham Isaac and Jacob/ Israel is God's chosen people. all of them . but then there was the ones chosen before Abraham..and Abrahams seed was meant to take back those Those first "others" land ( israel dirt) which was betrayed , stolen and usurped by Canaanites and Mirzaim./menes/Mengewi = Egypt.. but those Others will help save Israel's people .
Our GOD of Israel/zion Is awesome ! He will yet have a brotherhood/ Philidelphia of nations and the "gentiles"/ Mothers / EVE will and have loved him adn waited for him forever and longer than there was even a Abraham/ Fathers .

so pat yourself on the back if you will .. but we are nothing, but HE is everything.

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 09-08-2018 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality