Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:04 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times

Advertisements

Religion, for the most of it, is related to the primary fear - fear of death. No matter how much one thinks he is not afraid of it, it is rooted solid in the background. It is lurking always there, with life always reminding of it. As the result, it causes the rest of the fears.

This causes people to always look for some sort of security. If I get a bigger car... a larger house... more money....
Or, it causes people to convolute this fear into sensual pleasures... or narcotics.. anything to SHUT IT DOWN!

But look, there is a promise! You are saved! You never die! Priest steps in and lulls you into fake security of promises of the great thereafter. So with all your heart, you convince yourself that you are covered, death is conquered...

Now, there are old souls that have been born millions of times and worked on their spiritual development. They, eventually, are born with innate sense of Supreme presence. Seldom though, will you find them in mainstream religions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 07:22 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Those were all valid reasons in the OP.

I suspect that those people who "don't need religion" are probably more financially comfortable than others.
It's true that ensuring, poverty, famine and threat od personal loss is a good way of making people desperate enough to turn to religion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I believe we need religion because the family of God can get together and grow in love , and unity with the living God .... if people don`t believe in God and a humanist who reject any religion then they are not even in any program with the living God through Jesus , and judging religion from the outside
As Snoopy might say "That's a point in my favour, sweetie".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
LOL. I spent most of my adult life living well below the poverty line. Most money I made in a year was $23,000 and most years, my wife made less.

I didn't need religion then and I don't now, though today I have no financial worries.
I was there, too, ten years ago. It was no fun, and I'm glad I pulled out of it. Religion of any kind did not feature in any of it.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:54 AM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Some people think we need religion because we live in a spiritual universe. Not believing in spiritual stuff would be irrational if spiritual ideas are based on reality. So that's my reason for "needing" religion. I need to believe what seems true. And this goes for many others, I suspect.
No idea how you arrived at or continually believe in the conclusion that 'spiritual ideas are based on reality'. Would need you to outline your 'realistic spiritual ideas' individually so that they could all be refuted one-by-one.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:06 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Why we need religion

I don't believe we "need" religion. I don't believe it's some sort of magical glue that keeps the world together. In fact, it creates angst and contrasting beliefs which have been the cause of many wars in history. For many it's something people individually feel they need, an that's their choice. But no blanket need in my opinion.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 10-01-2018 at 07:58 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 07:08 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
I believe that Religion has caused at least as much suffering, if not more, as world wars. The crusades are a good example.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:20 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Some people think we need religion because it prevents us from doing bad things. Believing that God is watching us and can punish us motivates good behavior. That argument has often been used against atheism, and is still being used by some. But it's a lame argument, because we don't need God to punish our bad behavior. Society will punish us. Atheists can be just as law-abiding and ethical as believers.

Some people think we need religion because it provides a sense of community and belongingness. Everyone in your church is like family, or at least close friends. You can depend on them, and you celebrate with them. But that's a lame argument, because it's easy enough to find non-religious organizations that provide the same things.

Some people think we need religion because we're afraid of dying, and because we want to meet our loved ones again in heaven. Well, maybe there is some truth in that argument. I personally don't want to believe something just because it makes me feel good. Also, there is a downside to belief in an afterlife -- I don't think you can logically believe in heaven without also believing in hell. Atheists have the disadvantage of no hope for heaven, but they have to big advantage of no fear of hell. Yes, I know, lots of supposedly religious, or spiritual, people think you can have heaven without hell. But no, that is just wishful thinking, which people in general are so good at.

Some people think we need religion because we live in a spiritual universe. Not believing in spiritual stuff would be irrational if spiritual ideas are based on reality. So that's my reason for "needing" religion. I need to believe what seems true. And this goes for many others, I suspect.
You was doing so well until your last paragraph.

If spiritual ideas were based on reality, but there was no evidence of this, it could still be more rational not to believe. Which is why most atheists are agnostic.

As for your 'need to believe what seems true', then it is more rational for me not to believe something that is explained better by cognitive biases.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:21 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
"Why we need religion "
This is a good place for the old joke question...."You got a mouse in your pocket?"

Old 10-03-2018, 02:31 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,551 times
The sooner religion's tossed in the proverbial bin, the better. The fact that it's still lurking in the 21st century, yet, is bizarre.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:14 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Some people think we need religion because it prevents us from doing bad things. Believing that God is watching us and can punish us motivates good behavior. That argument has often been used against atheism, and is still being used by some. But it's a lame argument, because we don't need God to punish our bad behavior. Society will punish us. Atheists can be just as law-abiding and ethical as believers.

Some people think we need religion because it provides a sense of community and belongingness. Everyone in your church is like family, or at least close friends. You can depend on them, and you celebrate with them. But that's a lame argument, because it's easy enough to find non-religious organizations that provide the same things.

Some people think we need religion because we're afraid of dying, and because we want to meet our loved ones again in heaven. Well, maybe there is some truth in that argument. I personally don't want to believe something just because it makes me feel good. Also, there is a downside to belief in an afterlife -- I don't think you can logically believe in heaven without also believing in hell. Atheists have the disadvantage of no hope for heaven, but they have to big advantage of no fear of hell. Yes, I know, lots of supposedly religious, or spiritual, people think you can have heaven without hell. But no, that is just wishful thinking, which people in general are so good at.

Religion is the opiate of the people and designed to control the masses.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Religion is the opiate of the people and designed to control the masses.
The fact that Marxism became a Dogma and was used in just the same way, does not make that any the less true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality