Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:17 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Some people think we need religion because it prevents us from doing bad things. Believing that God is watching us and can punish us motivates good behavior. That argument has often been used against atheism, and is still being used by some. But it's a lame argument, because we don't need God to punish our bad behavior. Society will punish us. Atheists can be just as law-abiding and ethical as believers.

Some people think we need religion because it provides a sense of community and belongingness. Everyone in your church is like family, or at least close friends. You can depend on them, and you celebrate with them. But that's a lame argument, because it's easy enough to find non-religious organizations that provide the same things.

Some people think we need religion because we're afraid of dying, and because we want to meet our loved ones again in heaven. Well, maybe there is some truth in that argument. I personally don't want to believe something just because it makes me feel good. Also, there is a downside to belief in an afterlife -- I don't think you can logically believe in heaven without also believing in hell. Atheists have the disadvantage of no hope for heaven, but they have to big advantage of no fear of hell. Yes, I know, lots of supposedly religious, or spiritual, people think you can have heaven without hell. But no, that is just wishful thinking, which people in general are so good at.

Some people think we need religion because we live in a spiritual universe. Not believing in spiritual stuff would be irrational if spiritual ideas are based on reality. So that's my reason for "needing" religion. I need to believe what seems true. And this goes for many others, I suspect.

This is entirely gibberish. Firstly, atheists aren't "Christian atheists" or "Abrahamic atheists". They are atheists. Regardless of that, there are religions, some extant some not, which have ideas of paradise or eternal life without hell. Hell (or equivalent), while well-represented among the current major religions, is entirely absent from plenty of religions. Some just believe non-existence versus everlasting existence. No hell. Some believe a period of atoning for worldly mistakes, without hell. Some religions don't believe in heaven. Some belief systems basically had only an underworld, a miserable underworld at that (which did have VIP areas), but still no equivalent of heaven for any of them. Your take on religion is heavily a take on Abrahamic religions. Most recorded and/or archaeologically evidenced religions (in number, not by volume of adherents) are not Abrahamic.

Your last paragraph just seems to go to "wishful thinking" in the extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 03:53 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
the anti-religion types are as short-sighted and freedom stomping stormtrooper- esk as any fundy theist I know.

freedom of religion stances shed light on the intellectual and emotional maturity of a person or group of people.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Of course, me, I don't think anyone needs religion.
I think people need to eat, have shelter, water...the basics for survival and they need to be happy.

W-h-a-t-e-v-e-r makes them happy go for it. (As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, I mean)
I am the Happiest being connected to God or my Creator or this Presence that is all around me...
this fills my heart...this fills me with enthusiasm and energy.

Would other things make people happy ...sure!!

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-03-2018 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: tipo

Old 10-04-2018, 09:18 AM

22,200 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
the anti-religion types are as short-sighted and freedom stomping stormtrooper- esk as any fundy theist I know.

freedom of religion stances shed light on the intellectual and emotional maturity of a person or group of people.
good to see you back and posting Arach! we missed you! your contributions are valued

Old 10-04-2018, 10:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Freedom of religion stances shed light
on the intellectual and emotional maturity
of a person or group of people.
Wait a minute... did Gandhi say that?
Or are you getting better with age?

Old 10-04-2018, 10:52 AM

48 posts, read 34,490 times
We do not need religion. We only need a faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality