Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 12:02 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times

Advertisements

Some people think we need religion because it prevents us from doing bad things. Believing that God is watching us and can punish us motivates good behavior. That argument has often been used against atheism, and is still being used by some. But it's a lame argument, because we don't need God to punish our bad behavior. Society will punish us. Atheists can be just as law-abiding and ethical as believers.

Some people think we need religion because it provides a sense of community and belongingness. Everyone in your church is like family, or at least close friends. You can depend on them, and you celebrate with them. But that's a lame argument, because it's easy enough to find non-religious organizations that provide the same things.

Some people think we need religion because we're afraid of dying, and because we want to meet our loved ones again in heaven. Well, maybe there is some truth in that argument. I personally don't want to believe something just because it makes me feel good. Also, there is a downside to belief in an afterlife -- I don't think you can logically believe in heaven without also believing in hell. Atheists have the disadvantage of no hope for heaven, but they have to big advantage of no fear of hell. Yes, I know, lots of supposedly religious, or spiritual, people think you can have heaven without hell. But no, that is just wishful thinking, which people in general are so good at.

Some people think we need religion because we live in a spiritual universe. Not believing in spiritual stuff would be irrational if spiritual ideas are based on reality. So that's my reason for "needing" religion. I need to believe what seems true. And this goes for many others, I suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 12:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Some people think we need religion because it prevents us from doing bad things. Believing that God is watching us and can punish us motivates good behavior. That argument has often been used against atheism, and is still being used by some. But it's a lame argument, because we don't need God to punish our bad behavior. Society will punish us. Atheists can be just as law-abiding and ethical as believers.

Some people think we need religion because it provides a sense of community and belongingness. Everyone in your church is like family, or at least close friends. You can depend on them, and you celebrate with them. But that's a lame argument, because it's easy enough to find non-religious organizations that provide the same things.

Some people think we need religion because we're afraid of dying, and because we want to meet our loved ones again in heaven. Well, maybe there is some truth in that argument. I personally don't want to believe something just because it makes me feel good. Also, there is a downside to belief in an afterlife -- I don't think you can logically believe in heaven without also believing in hell. Atheists have the disadvantage of no hope for heaven, but they have to big advantage of no fear of hell. Yes, I know, lots of supposedly religious, or spiritual, people think you can have heaven without hell. But no, that is just wishful thinking, which people in general are so good at.

Some people think we need religion because we live in a spiritual universe. Not believing in spiritual stuff would be irrational if spiritual ideas are based on reality. So that's my reason for "needing" religion. I need to believe what seems true. And this goes for many others, I suspect.
This sort of sounds like a Yogi Berra quote.

Last edited by gabfest; 09-30-2018 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: Grammer

Old 09-30-2018, 12:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
I believe some "spiritual stuff" but have no need of religion.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:03 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

I can relate in a way to all of those except the last one. The first three are not reasons I consider valid, but I can see that they are comprehensible reasons. The last one seems lame and self refuting beyond taking seriously. It is no more that needing religion because you have got addicted to it.

It's you choice of course, but there's nothing there to persuade any others apart from those who are already hooked on it.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:44 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
I believe we need religion because the family of God can get together and grow in love , and unity with the living God .... if people don`t believe in God and a humanist who reject any religion then they are not even in any program with the living God through Jesus , and judging religion from the outside

Old 09-30-2018, 03:03 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I believe we need religion because the family of God can get together and grow in love , and unity with the living God .... if people don`t believe in God and a humanist who reject any religion then they are not even in any program with the living God through Jesus , and judging religion from the outside
Except that many of us have been on the "inside".

Old 09-30-2018, 04:10 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Those were all valid reasons in the OP.

I suspect that those people who "don't need religion" are probably more financially comfortable than others.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:29 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

I suspect that those people who "don't need religion" are probably more financially comfortable than others.
Religions are simply algorithms. Interestingly, one can follow any algorithm and have no inclination as to the rationals behind each step and still receive the desired outcome as to one who is knowledgeable/well rehearsed.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

LOL. I spent most of my adult life living well below the poverty line. Most money I made in a year was $23,000 and most years, my wife made less.

I didn't need religion then and I don't now, though today I have no financial worries.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:45 PM

Addendum: In the OP's 2nd graph, s/he mentioned a sense of community as a reason for people being drawn to churches. I totally get that for people who feel that need. Most likely because I came from a large, ethnic family who valued regular get-togethers, I never lacked for a sense of being part of a larger whole.

I'm sure that for many who were not so blessed, church can serve that purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality