Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 05:45 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times

Advertisements

I think I was a brat. My Dad insists I was not. I was like maybe you just don't remember! LOL. Nothing to do with sin or my faith.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:33 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Aside from a very top temper (which I struggle even today to control), I was the perfect child and teenager. I never gave my parents any trouble whatsoever.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:54 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
No, not a brat. But I did display problematic behaviors after the age of 13, due to undiagnosed mental illnesses.

Parents don't assume your children are just being difficult or wild in their behaviors. Make an effort to have them evaluated by a mental health professional before you brand them as uncontrollable and problematic.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:55 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I was the opposite of a brat. I followed the rules and was terrified of being punished BECAUSE it was drilled into my head that I was a sinner, that we were all born sinners and that hell awaited us unless we loved Jesus.

I didn't love Jesus. Jesus scared me because he was always watching and knew what I really thought, but I wouldn't admit that to anyone. Still, I knew that God knew, and so I was terrified all the time that God was going to punish me. It was a terrible way to have to live as a child

So, no, OP, I don't see that pattern. I think religious people who focus on how sinful we are never got the chance to break away from that sick way of thinking and don't understand how sick it really is.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No, not a brat. But I did display problematic behaviors after the age of 13, due to undiagnosed mental illnesses.

Parents don't assume your children are just being difficult or wild in their behaviors. Make an effort to have them evaluated by a mental health professional before you brand them as uncontrollable and problematic.
Sing it, greatblueheron. I actually developed mental illness--OCD to be precise--at the age of six directly BECAUSE of the religious teachings I was brought up with. I'm sure the seeds were there within my mind, but the focus on sin, death, and hell watered and fertilized it, and the circumstances of what happened to me at that age set its growth in motion. It would take me until my forties to understand what was wrong with me.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I've been getting the impression that the kind of people who think that they were born "sinful" might have been more like brats as children.
That belief may have come later. But more importantly is the belief that came first. That is the idea that because some children can be brats or bratty at times, it must mean that they are born with sin and/or evil. "Now off to religious school so that your bratty soul can be saved."

Old 10-18-2018, 07:04 AM

378 posts, read 230,173 times
Nope I was a saint

Old 10-18-2018, 10:02 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sing it, greatblueheron. I actually developed mental illness--OCD to be precise--at the age of six directly BECAUSE of the religious teachings I was brought up with. I'm sure the seeds were there within my mind, but the focus on sin, death, and hell watered and fertilized it, and the circumstances of what happened to me at that age set its growth in motion. It would take me until my forties to understand what was wrong with me.
Luckily, people with OCD are freaks in their studies at least, I mean at least we are able to figure out what is wrong with ourselves.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Luckily, people with OCD are freaks in their studies at least, I mean at least we are able to figure out what is wrong with ourselves.
Yes, once I knew what it was, I realized it was a creative way to deal with anxiety and anger and depression.

Most of the time I catch myself when I am obsessing or doing the counting or word rituals I have to do to prevent IT from happening, whatever IT may be at the moment.

Most of the time. Sometimes people close to me have to point it out.

I also recognize the intrusive thoughts for what they are and even look at them and try to analyze them. It's like having a horror movie running in the background of your mind. But it was definitely fed by religiosity in childhood, and I will never be able to completely get rid of it, and I don't think I want to at this point. It is part of who I am.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:55 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was the opposite of a brat. I followed the rules and was terrified of being punished BECAUSE it was drilled into my head that I was a sinner, that we were all born sinners and that hell awaited us unless we loved Jesus.

I didn't love Jesus. Jesus scared me because he was always watching and knew what I really thought, but I wouldn't admit that to anyone. Still, I knew that God knew, and so I was terrified all the time that God was going to punish me. It was a terrible way to have to live as a child

So, no, OP, I don't see that pattern. I think religious people who focus on how sinful we are never got the chance to break away from that sick way of thinking and don't understand how sick it really is.
We have so much in common, I was always terrified and it consummed my days, the torment that was waiting for me. I figured if I killed myself, maybe then God would forgive me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.