Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 11:26 PM

241 posts, read 95,233 times

Advertisements

pacifism, an adherence that is found in christianity, judaism and buddhism, is practiced by many people for either religious or social reasons

as one who adheres to pacifism, i was curious if there were other who adhere to pacifism

what is general view of pacifism in regards to religion and society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 11:54 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I'm in favour of pacifism. But not weakness. It just invites those who are not in favour of pacifism to walk on our faces. I would not advocate dying as martyrs to the cause of peace, and those who do can collect their posthumous Darwin award in due course.

I was much rather be talking about ways of reducing tension and living peacefully together.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:43 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm in favour of pacifism. But not weakness. It just invites those who are not in favour of pacifism to walk on our faces. I would not advocate dying as martyrs to the cause of peace, and those who do can collect their posthumous Darwin award in due course.

I was much rather be talking about ways of reducing tension and living peacefully together.
"Conflict resolution" is the term Quakers have given the idea. Materials on the practice are available.

OR read the modern St. John (Nash).

Old 10-19-2018, 02:28 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Pacifism is an evolutionary dead-end.

If you don't defend your beliefs against those who would force different beliefs onto you, then those who practice pacifism will either be wiped out or converted.

Because there will always be another, more militaristic group, that will see weakness and walk right in.

Now, the practice of pacifism can be a good thing if that ideology is only practiced in regards to aggression, but if it is practiced toward defense as well, pacifism actually becomes an evil ideology, not a good one.

For instance, standing by while someone is raped or killed because your pacifism doesn't allow you to do harm to another individual.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:53 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Gandhi practiced this and he is proof that it is a successful method based on the teachings of Jesus.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:01 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
I am not a pacifist in it's strict sense, but I believe wars should always be the last resort.

Sadly war will always be with us, and it will almost always be the innocent who suffer.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Conflict resolution" is the term Quakers have given the idea. Materials on the practice are available.

OR read the modern St. John (Nash).
Religion is always ready to Hi- jack any good stuff and take the credit for it. The Quakers can do what they do, and we goddless bastards will carry on doing what we do - pushing for a secular/Humanist -based society where any beliefs can -co exist but none can dominate. Nor influence nor take the credit for any improvements in the way humans run their lives.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Gandhi practiced this and he is proof that it is a successful method based on the teachings of Jesus.
Good point. But I'm obliged to observe that this might have worked with a British Raj and Ghandi knew that he could take advantage of that. If it had been a Russian or Japanese Raj, he'd have been the first to go into a handy ditch , and his followers soon after.

That said, we can learn some lessons at least about Looking Better than the opposition. That's something that the constant whines about atheist aggressiveness, arrogance and rudeness can teach us - engage, respond and be polite, but not mealy -mouthed.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:15 AM

241 posts, read 95,233 times
Quote:

i wasnt advocating martyrdom, or for people to seek notoriety as martyrs. i like weakness. i use to be the contrary to weakness. contrary to popular belief, pacifism is not an encroach to a mans masculinity

furthermore, pacifism does not require one to be a 'bleeding heart" or emotionally oversensitive.

it is a strength both spiritually and soceitally

Old 10-19-2018, 09:38 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:

You grow up fighting everyday because you live in a place of battle, you learn to hit first, I am all for peace, but I know when things are about to get real, and I don't hesitate. Being a pacifist in some places just isn't possible in some places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality