Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 12:57 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You know, I foresaw that objection and I very obviously said people should NOT believe something because it makes them feel good.

People should not allow themselves to be indoctrinated in either direction. They should use reason, education, and self-awareness to figure it out.
...and yet you believe in supernatural entities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Your attempt to change the subject signals defeat. My work here is done.
Another fine Christian flounce. 8/10

Old 10-28-2018, 04:32 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Don't worry, I am aware of what came after Darwin. Neo-Darwinism or the modern synthesis is still the same basic idea, and you know it.
Except you was not talking about the modern synthesis. You said simple minded Darwinism.

Quote:
Changes in DNA are always assumed to be errors, and natural selection is the only organizing force. You would know this if you ahd kept up with evolution science.
Why would (and how could) I keep up with your straw man version of evolution? Clearly you do not keep up with the science.

Quote:
Because they want to **** you off.
No. It is because they have no actual evidence.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If not "errors", how do DNA changes happen? What other "organizing forces" do you mean?
He is working on the principle that because things like epigenetics can make changes in DNA, then that allows the possibility for a conscious universe (for which he has provided no evidence for) can do the same.

He may believe in an ersatz god, but it is till the god of the gaps argument.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:28 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
One thing I am absolutely certain about: The Religion and Spirituality forum does not exist as a place where people come to receive education to compensate for their failure to understand high school biology. Quit trying to teach people what they failed to learn in 10th grade biology class. Please report posts about evolution. We'll remove them until we get tired of it and then we will issue infractions for derailing threads.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:32 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
But then again, it will all boil down to Darwin’s theory that the growing kids are indoctrinated with.

Perhaps our academic school books should have a fair balance of presenting both camps where Darwin’s theory should be taught as a THEORY only and not a fact.

And then the very large community of highly qualified scientists that has a critique on Darwin’s THEORY, and it does NOT agree with Darwin, should also have their say?

Do you think Smithsonian will allow it?
"very large community of highly qualified scientists" Name me the percentage of "accredited and qualified" biologists (even just in Muslim countries) that disbelieve in evolution in the most general and introductory sense... And also give me their reasons that are not "because I want my Islam to be true, and it just doesn't feel like Islam agrees to me" although a lot of Muslims try to put forth that Islam predicted scientific findings and evolution, just as some Christians are prone to try to do.

You are more than welcome to have clubs at school all about evolution-theory debate and putting forth only your very specific and unique (but perhaps shared or tolerated by some as groups) version of Islam. A religion founded on lies would desperately need the "putting forth" aspect.

Evolution's "possible" truth, on the other hand, has obvious health-implications that have been tested and demonstrated and relied upon more than you would ever rely on "Muslim prayer" for your (perpetually failing all over itself and because of itself) success.

It is the failing Christians and the failing Muslims that block children from learning about and participating in all and any other religions to test them out.

The truly "fair and balanced" would include flat-earth, cuboidal earth, triangle earth, etc theories when teaching about the globe. But we don't. Because the truth has been established in business which is in power and needs people to believe that which empowers/monies it, like the truth.

So what is the use of evolution for business and for the rich?
Why does it stand in the way of Islam to you?

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 10-28-2018 at 06:51 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 06:43 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
One thing I am absolutely certain about: The Religion and Spirituality forum does not exist as a place where people come to receive education to compensate for their failure to understand high school biology. Quit trying to teach people what they failed to learn in 10th grade biology class. Please report posts about evolution. We'll remove them until we get tired of it and then we will issue infractions for derailing threads.
Oh sorry, I guess the issue has been debated to death already in this "Religion" subforum. And "Science" has a whole different subforum doesn't it.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 10-28-2018 at 06:53 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 08:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Or at least unexplained and unvalidated entities that evidently are validated by trying to provide a few knowledge -gaps.

Quote:
Another fine Christian flounce. 8/10
It is. After the attempt to Stump Atheist fails, the game plan is to find a pretext for running away with a 'Parthian Shot' that will allow them to claim Victory (n fact it is usually one kind of Flounce or another). "There's no point in talking to a closed mind", "You were wrong (so they claim, running away) about that so i win the whole debate", and the good old "You are being So Wude!! "

This might have looked convincing to other True Believers in the Old days, before we got wise to it, but now the Real Ploy becomes evident - to allow the Theopologistperson to run away without having to face up to the fact that they are WRONG, which would destroy Faith. Because......

...Faith is Not Hope for things unseen (1) - it is a Belief that God is putting Truth into the head of the believer. So they Cannot Ever, ever, allow themselves to think "What has been Revealethed into ny Boko is Wrong. Therefore my belief that God is inspiring me is False."(2)

That is what shatters faith and is why they cheat and start fights and flounce off rather that admit being wrong about anything Serious.

The exploded diagram and instruction - manual of faith explains everything about how TB's (True Believers T.M) behave, which seems at first incomprehensible. Selective memory, Lying for Jesus, starting a fight or running away, claiming that Scripture is true, and they damning some other Scripture -peddler to Hell because they are Doing it Wrong. It all makes sense when you know what Faith is and how it works. And even why we evolved it

(1) that is merely a primitive Gap for God argument. And caling it "Evidence£ may seem like Gobsmacking impudence, but it is still presented as "Evidence" today!!!

!!!!

!

(2) There's a whole post (if not a Thread) on how Incremental Change of Faith can be allowed to happen as son as the TB finds a way to Rationalise it, if they don't run out of Capital Letters. Which is how the Churches (aside the reactionary Backsliders to the Letter of Leviticus, apart from the bacon) manage to keep within spitting distance of Human Morality. This we get, if not Faith -collapse for those who cannot check their brain at the Church door forever, a gradual shifting of position until we get to the Sortagod agnostic, with a Faith in a sortagod and there they may stay. As irreligious as an atheist but still Theist.

But there, I wasn't going to write a post on that.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-28-2018 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 10:09 AM

Mea Culpa. I keep forgetting.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:05 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
He is working on the principle that because things like epigenetics can make changes in DNA, then that allows the possibility for a conscious universe (for which he has provided no evidence for) can do the same.

He may believe in an ersatz god, but it is till the god of the gaps argument.
You are ignorant of the research of James Shapiro, for example.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:07 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What is generally referred to as "supernatural" could be redefined as higher dimensional levels. As explained in the article I already posted https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implic...xplicate_order
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality