Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 04:11 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
We represent a newer way of thinking, which has not yet become the dominant scientific perspective. But it will. Probably not until all the materialist scientists have died.
And you find some actual evidence for it. You forgot about the evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 11:27 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
That's funny, I wondered the same thing about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Really? Based on what?
No response?

Old 11-11-2018, 12:14 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Interesting post because some of the most hateful, least loving things I have heard and witnessed were in churches from the mouths of Christians

Old 11-11-2018, 01:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
One way to love your neighbor is to respect their opinions and assume there is some truth, however strongly you may disagree. To make an effort to look at their perspective objectively.

I see the opposite of that happening these days. Atheists assume believers are ignorant and superstitious, Democrats assume Republicans are ignorant and selfish. Etc.

Maybe one of the very best ways to love your neighbor isn't to give them food and money. Maybe it's to give them respect and search for common ground.
I know! And what's JUST as crazy is the religious who think all atheists are amoral heathens when we know there are "devout" people who lie and cheat all day long. And certainly Republicans who think Dems are all just snowflakes. And who would give a rich old Republican food, anyway? They can live very well on my respect...as long as they respect me.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
So true. But the atheists are so loud, especially on the internet, you would think they were a majority. No, just a pitiful tiny little minority. So sad.
Since when is being a minority "pitiful"...and "sad"?

Sorry - but this just completely negates your attempt at any kind of sincere debate on the topic. Every thread you start is leading and a baited trap - you are not filled with love for anyone.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
So true. But the atheists are so loud, especially on the internet, you would think they were a majority. No, just a pitiful tiny little minority. So sad.
Quote:
We represent a newer way of thinking, which has not yet become the dominant scientific perspective. But it will. Probably not until all the materialist scientists have died.
Oh...wait. So it's actually YOU who is the pitiful tiny little minority and I should feel sad about you?

I really should read the entire thread to I can comment fully on your ludicrous "arguments". Did you get chased out of Great Debates?

Old 11-11-2018, 02:06 PM

3,636 posts, read 3,427,642 times
Quote:
To make an effort to look at their perspective objectively. I see the opposite of that happening these days. Atheists assume believers are ignorant and superstitious
Quote:
And by the way, I have read more by atheists than by theists, and I made sure I understood their perspective.
Where I think I would be cautious in following your thinking here is that there is a suggestion - one you might not have intended to imply - that the two are mutually exclusive. That if you somehow understand their perspective - you will cease to think them ignorant and superstitious.

This is not always the case. In fact quite often the opposite is the case. By understanding their perspective you have _more_ basis for considering them ignorant and superstitious.

I think this was put beautifully by another writer on this forum some time ago - when he spoke about the parents who were jailed - because their religion compelled them to let their children die of an easily manageable disease. They literally could have saved their child but withheld medical intervention and allowed the children to die painfully.

The first reaction of many people hearing that story is to assume the parents were evil - insane - horrible people who did not love their children. They were sick or deranged or malicious or or or or. But what the writer on this forum said is no - given what these people believed their actions are perfectly understandable.

If you believed in an eternal soul - and if you believed as some religions do that giving your child medical care would harm the well being of that eternal soul - then you too would likely withhold medical intervention and go to jail for allowing your child to die - content in the idea you did right by your child no matter what the police or the courts say.

Those parents are ignorant. They are superstitious. Understanding their perspective is a good thing to do - the writer on here enlightened me to that. But doing so does not remove the idea they were ignorant and superstitious. It ramifies and validates it.

So if you see us thinking people are ignorant and superstitious - it would be your error and your error alone to assume we do not understand their perspective or we merely made assumptions. You are the one making assumptions - and using them to accuse us of it instead.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:37 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
They have - and have been replaced by an even larger number. And when they have gone, an even larger number.

Your hope for a future of Woo -believing science is dwindling as fast as all those previous Gaps for God.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:39 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Interesting post because some of the most hateful, least loving things I have heard and witnessed were in churches from the mouths of Christians
It stands as one of the most inexplicable things that they do not seem to recognize the hateful and least loving things.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
It is a curious aspect of a kind of human thinking that some of the worst kinds of hate are done by people who think that they are acting for the best...even out of love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality