Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 05:20 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times

Advertisements

"What would you think about a modern day prisoner who was doing the same thing?"
it is common place....but their writings/opinions/etc. never leave the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 05:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I think he was definitely part of the early Christian movement. He might have even been a close disciple. In Revelation chapter 13 he is describing the "Jesus" of the Roman religion as a "Beast". He equates the false Roman Christianity as a beast which appeared to survive a mortal wound, which I assume was the crucifixion.

But he's really equating orthodox Christianity with the worship of Caesar, in a clever way.

It sounds pretty profound, but in today's terms it was really just political differences.
Not as much "profound" as "trippy and cerebral." If it was really profound, it would have outlined its ideas in concrete prose as science does.

Profundity is the opposite of Metaphor. Metaphor is supposed to appeal to shallow people as an attention-grabbing literal, while Profundity appeals to deep and wise people as perspicacious poetry.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
The book of Revelation was written by a man named John who was an exiled prisoner. He had nothing to do but write down his visions. But there was a lot of anger mixed with love.

What would you think about a modern day prisoner who was doing the same thing? When people are in isolation they can have all kinds of wild and crazy thoughts. Anger. Love. Resentment. Forgiveness. Etc. But would you really trust this person who was a criminal? Regardless of whether the person was exiled for a true crime or whatever. The thoughts of extreme judgement that a person could have is kind of troubling.

Does anyone else understand my point of view?
Except that he was well-known to first century Christians, he had written 3 other letters and a Gospel, and was beloved by many in the church. Good thing you don't get to decide it.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Except that he was well-known to first century Christians, he had written 3 other letters and a Gospel, and was beloved by many in the church. Good thing you don't get to decide it.
Peter was not well known because he was persecuted, oppressed, and buried as Jesus was?

Quote:
The title is taken from the first word of the book in Koine Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apokalypsis, which means "unveiling" or "revelation". The author names himself as "John", but it is currently considered unlikely that the author of Revelation was also the author of the Gospel of John.

Some of the evidence for this was set out as early as the second half of the third century by Pope Dionysius of Alexandria, who noted that the gospel and the epistles attributed to John, unlike Revelation, do not name their author, and that the Greek of the gospel is correct and elegant while that of Revelation is neither; some later scholars believe that the two books also have radical differences in theological perspective.

Tradition links him to John the Apostle, but it is unlikely that the apostle could have lived into the most likely time for the book's composition, the reign of Domitian, and the author never states that he knew Jesus. All that is known is that this John was a Jewish-Christian prophet, probably belonging to a group of such prophets, and was accepted as such by the congregations to whom he addresses his letter. His precise identity remains unknown, and modern scholarship commonly refers to him as John of Patmos (Rev. 1:9 – "I was put on the Island of Patmos").

Early Church tradition dates the book to end of the emperor Domitian (reigned AD 81–96), and most modern scholars agree, although the author may have written a draft version after Nero's Great Fire in Rome (AD 64) under Vespasian (AD 69–79) and updated it under Domitian. The beast with seven heads and the number 666 seem to allude directly to the emperor Nero (reigned AD 54–68), but this does not require that Revelation was written in the 60s, as there was a widespread belief in later decades that Nero would return.

~
Spoiler

Stuckenbruck 2003, pp. 1535–1536.

Collins 1984, pp. 26–29.

Bauckham 1992, pp. 2, 24–25.

Stuckenbruck 2003, p. 1535.

Cross & Livingstone 2005.

Burkett 2002, pp. 503–504.

Collins 2002, p. 100.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
I don't trust anonymous writers. Unless, of course, they make sense.

I don't trust the bible.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:51 PM

1,402 posts, read 478,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
"This reply was written by John." (Do you accept that at face value? If not... good, you shouldn't!)

It is doubtful that the same person (whomever he was) wrote all five works, or that the Apostle John wrote any of them. Slapping someone's name on them was an early version of Appeal to Authority.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't trust anonymous writers. Unless, of course, they make sense.

I don't trust the bible.
But maybe I can name an anonymous writing as "in honor" to Thomas Jefferson. Then would you avoid reading it?

Old 11-08-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
"This reply was written by John." (Do you accept that at face value? If not... good, you shouldn't!)

It is doubtful that the same person (whomever he was) wrote all five works, or that the Apostle John wrote any of them. Slapping someone's name on them was an early version of Appeal to Authority.
Why is it doubtful? Simply declaring it to be so isn't adequate proof.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:31 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post

The apostle you are referring to "whom Jesus loved" is probably Lazarus, since he is the one that Jesus raised from the dead and was at the bosom of Jesus (just like the "other" Lazarus was at the bosom of Abraham). But it's funny how everyone assumes it was John. I also believe it's possible that the exiled John could have been included in the gospel stories. But we really just don't know. And I don't trust anyone who claims to know one way or the other.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
The apostle you are referring to "whom Jesus loved" is probably Lazarus, since he is the one that Jesus raised from the dead and was at the bosom of Jesus (just like the "other" Lazarus was at the bosom of Abraham). But it's funny how everyone assumes it was John. I also believe it's possible that the exiled John could have been included in the gospel stories. But we really just don't know. And I don't trust anyone who claims to know one way or the other.
Actually, it was John. Lazarus wasn't an apostle.

https://www.gotquestions.org/discipl...sus-loved.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality