Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
I would agree with that take away.
Paul describes God as the "happy God" and didn't let the persecution he endured change how he lived his life. He also attributed to Jesus the words that "There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving." So yes, focusing on others can mitigate the burden of problems one may have.
I will make one remark or observation. I'll look it up but I bet "There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving." is not about his being happy to give stuff away but telling others that they should be happy to give stuff to him.

And, if I am wrong, I shall apologise to you and Paul.

Well, it isn't Paul himself but words that Luke puts into Paul's mouth.

Acts 20. 28 Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church [g]of God which He purchased with His own blood. 29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking [h]perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves. 31 Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn everyone night and day with tears.

32 “So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. 33 I have coveted no one’s silver or gold or apparel. 34 [i]Yes, you yourselves know that these hands have provided for my necessities, and for those who were with me. 35 I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”

It doesn't take an Einstein to see this as an urging by Luke (who was always thinking about money - mostly coming in the direction of the church) that the faithful reader owes the church for peddling their doctrines onto people, and so they have to show their gratitude for being peddled a passel of damfool doctrine by digging deep and shelling out to the men in dresses.

Now I have to look up whether Paul (let alone Jesus) said any such thing or whether Luke just made it up.

So in the meantime, let us ponder the words of George Carlin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

Well, nothing so far in the Gospels, but the nearest I can find in Paul is 2 Corinthians which I won't give in full, but you might read it, marvelling at the adroit way he makes the Corinthians feel obliged to his for the wonderful gift which he hath bought them and how much he Suffered in doing so and how cheerfully the Macedonians shelled out and finally after 8 chapters he trusts in the generosity of the Corinthians.

But Like I said, I wasn't going to post anything on the subject.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-17-2018 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 01:11 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I was reading a quote from John Kerry the politician, who said that the letters of Paul were his favorite scriptures because they taught him "not to feel sorry for myself."

That's the best description of Paul and his form of Christianity that I have ever heard. True religion (any kind) is about focusing on the needs of other people, as a natural way of getting out of your own head, and as a result, getting out of your own problems. That's the message I have also gotten from Paul, but I had never been able to put it in such words.

What are your thoughts on this?

The great thing about the foremost sinner Paul, is his ability to make sinners think they are saved. While not true, maybe they can approach death with less fear. The only problem is that they will be servants of sin, and their hell will be on earth. They have nothing to fear from death, except the road leading to death. Death will set them free, and there is no everlasting torment in the everlasting lake of fire, except of course, apparently for the false prophet, the beast, and the devil (Revelation 20:10).

Old 11-17-2018, 03:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
I was reading a quote from John Kerry the politician, who said that the letters of Paul were his favorite scriptures because they taught him "not to feel sorry for myself."

That's the best description of Paul and his form of Christianity that I have ever heard. True religion (any kind) is about focusing on the needs of other people, as a natural way of getting out of your own head, and as a result, getting out of your own problems. That's the message I have also gotten from Paul, but I had never been able to put it in such words.

Especially if your head is super-messed up with PTSD, remorse, etc. Then you really need to get out of there quick!

Ignoring your own needs is perfect for ignoring your own problems. And naturally, some if not many problems go away on their own with time.

Moderator cut: Political paragraph removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-18-2018 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: Politics

Old 11-17-2018, 06:29 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
The great thing about the foremost sinner Paul, is his ability to make sinners think they are saved. While not true, maybe they can approach death with less fear. The only problem is that they will be servants of sin, and their hell will be on earth. They have nothing to fear from death, except the road leading to death. Death will set them free, and there is no everlasting torment in the everlasting lake of fire, except of course, apparently for the false prophet, the beast, and the devil (Revelation 20:10).
I like that.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:52 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:

yup, religion has self help portions that are beneficial. Its a reason that I am not anti-religious, anti-god, or anti many things really.

I do have a problem with claiming that the only way out of a problem is a literal religion or certain statement of belief about god. But I have seen many great statement of belief about god (yes god or no god) self help stuff that is very good for people.

Its funny, I often think, maybe erroneously, that if paul knew what people were going to do with his letters he wouldn't written them, he would have went in peron so the message didn't get screwed. Kind of like how we talk different when we know people are listening, we are a little more precise.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:16 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It seems strange to me that you would invoke "the power of God" but invest it in a book rather than the "Guide" promised IN that book.
Understandable, ... except, I'm actually saying that our knowledge of Christ, His words, the Holy Spirit, power of God, etc., is understood, conveyed and validated through the ages -- in God-inspired (written) Scripture. Those whose understanding of these things apart from Scripture, have no consistently reliable truth standard (ie; The standard by which one is to "Test whether the Spirit is of God" or "know the word/s spoken by Christ")

Old 11-21-2018, 08:44 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Understandable, ... except, I'm actually saying that our knowledge of Christ, His words, the Holy Spirit, power of God, etc., is understood, conveyed and validated through the ages -- in God-inspired (written) Scripture. Those whose understanding of these things apart from Scripture, have no consistently reliable truth standard (ie; The standard by which one is to "Test whether the Spirit is of God" or "know the word/s spoken by Christ")
Not according to the Bible.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:57 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Not according to the Bible.
Please instruct us.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:17 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Please instruct us.
Oh, he will alright...

Old 11-22-2018, 03:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Harry is our Resident Bible -Authority :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality