Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

I was reading a quote from John Kerry the politician, who said that the letters of Paul were his favorite scriptures because they taught him "not to feel sorry for myself."

That's the best description of Paul and his form of Christianity that I have ever heard. True religion (any kind) is about focusing on the needs of other people, as a natural way of getting out of your own head, and as a result, getting out of your own problems. That's the message I have also gotten from Paul, but I had never been able to put it in such words.

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 05:29 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Well, Ozzy, old mate, we have had a few run - ins recently, so I am not going to take issue with you on this one. After all I have given my views on Paul elsewhere.

Have a great weekend. It's pissing down here.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:41 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well, Ozzy, old mate, we have had a few run - ins recently, so I am not going to take issue with you on this one. After all I have given my views on Paul elsewhere.

Have a great weekend. It's pissing down here.
And I understand your views on Paul and why people have issues with him. But I think the issues people have with Paul are based on how other people who came after Paul have interpreted him and used his words. Much the same way that people afterwards have used Jesus. Paul was just writing encouraging letters to his friends.

Maybe you respect John Kerry more than the average Christian. But his reading of Paul is probably very similar to any Christian who has found encouragement in the letters.

And it's the same way that I have I have and continue to do.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:50 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I was reading a quote from John Kerry the politician, who said that the letters of Paul were his favorite scriptures because they taught him "not to feel sorry for myself."

That's the best description of Paul and his form of Christianity that I have ever heard. True religion (any kind) is about focusing on the needs of other people, as a natural way of getting out of your own head, and as a result, getting out of your own problems. That's the message I have also gotten from Paul, but I had never been able to put it in such words.

yes, all religions have great self help messages within them. Again, as I have said before, another important reason why I am not anti religious. Even when its atheist acting like we are a religion.

Its one reason reason I focus on people in religions breaking the law over the religion itself. People are the problem. But alias, can a monkey know its just a monkey in a troop of monkeys?

Old 11-11-2018, 12:20 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
now you know the Cat's thoughts on Paul I have based my commentary on Paul on scientific fact and logic.
As for John Kerry, I respect the man but do not have to agree 100% on everything he says . I still respect him.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,917 times
Quote:

I would agree with that take away.
Paul describes God as the "happy God" and didn't let the persecution he endured change how he lived his life. He also attributed to Jesus the words that "There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving." So yes, focusing on others can mitigate the burden of problems one may have.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:25 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Paul is to the New Testament what Moses and the prophets are to the Old Testament. All wrote under the inspiration of God's Holy Spirit to give us God's timeless, written revelation of Himself and His ways, truths, plans, purposes, promises.

I've read some of the rationalization ('rational lies') some give for rejecting the words of Paul, and claiming only to trust the words of Christ in the Bible. But, Christ's words were written down by others, not Christ Himself. IMO, most of the justification given for rejecting the Bible...are just rebellious excuses for depending on human philosophies and opinions, instead of the power of God.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:25 AM

1,382 posts, read 767,939 times
Quote:

John Kerry, the "politician", and the man of lawlessness (Romans 7:6), Paul, are both all things to all men, and true to none. That apparently has an appeal to the "many" (Matthew 7:13). Unfortunately for the "many", they are on the wide path to "destruction" (Matthew 7:13).

Old 11-12-2018, 09:36 AM

1,382 posts, read 767,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Paul is to the New Testament what Moses and the prophets are to the Old Testament. All wrote under the inspiration of God's Holy Spirit to give us God's timeless, written revelation of Himself and His ways, truths, plans, purposes, promises.

I've read some of the rationalization ('rational lies') some give for rejecting the words of Paul, and claiming only to trust the words of Christ in the Bible. But, Christ's words were written down by others, not Christ Himself. IMO, most of the justification given for rejecting the Bible...are just rebellious excuses for depending on human philosophies and opinions, instead of the power of God.

You seem to have overlooked why anyone would accept the Roman Catholic church's canon, being as the Protestant leaders deemed her as the "***** of Babylon". Yeshua taught the Law and the prophets, whereas Paul taught his new "covenant" the "covenant with death" (Isaiah 28:15-18), in which you "surely shall not die" (Genesis 3:4), but be changed from corruptible to incorruptible in a twinkling of an eye.

Paul's babel would be the tare seed, the gospel of lawlessness (Romans 7:6) which is planted in the same field, and recorded in the NT, as the "good seed", and which would remain until the "end of the age" before being harvested and burned (Matthew 13:30 & 40).

Historicist interpreters commonly used the phrase "***** of Babylon" to refer to the Roman Catholic Church. Reformation writers from Martin Luther (1483–1546) (who wrote On the Babylonian Captivity of the Church), John Calvin (1509–1564), and John Knox (1510–1572) (who wrote The First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstruous Regiment of Women) taught this association.[SIZE=2][33][/SIZE][SIZE=2][34][/SIZE]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*****_of_Babylon

Old 11-17-2018, 08:21 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

It seems strange to me that you would invoke "the power of God" but invest it in a book rather than the "Guide" promised IN that book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality