Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 11:42 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times

Advertisements

If I use the bus system in a strange city I trust that the route maps are accurate and that the drivers know their routes. I truth that I will get to my destination however I am not 100% sure because I might of misread the maps, or for other reasons the bus does not take me to where I want to go. The map may even be outdated or for the wrong day of the week. But I have ridden busses in many cities in several countries therefore I have a reasonable expectation that the next city I visit will have a system that works in a similar fashion.

It is neither faith nor 100% certainity, but experience. I also trust that my wife's car will start everyday now that it has a new battery. However I also know from experience that it might not start under a certain temperature because the switch on the clutch pedal might have frozen and I'll need to use the hairdryer to thaw it out. None of this is Fath based but based on probabilities and experience. If I bought a used car from a stranger and he told me that it worked perfectly all the time and would be good for years, if I accepted him at his word and did not have a mechanic check it out, that would be faith based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 12:31 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Interesting!

So if a “CLAIM” that “God exists” is NOT made then there is no more Atheism left in the world?

And instead of making a “CLAIM” if all believers in the world say, “I have faith in God” then no claim is made again - and hence that should lead to the the death of Atheism?
I'm confused... Why would anyone put faith in something they don't think exists?

You seem to be hung up on the word "CLAIM," establishing a high bar by giving it a special meaning (that can then be sidestepped)... and it's not helping your logical arguments. A claim is merely a proposition, a premise, a statement in support of an idea, a thought that something is. You can even keep that thought to yourself if you want.... I would still consider it to be a claim, if you think it to be true. The "CLAIM" does not have to be capitalized, or rolled out with trumpet blasts and flashing neon signs, or branded on your flank, or tattooed on your forehead, or painted on your house, or signed on a formal document. Avoiding use of the C word doesn't mean you have not made a claim.

If you think something exists, enough to put faith in it, you have de facto made a claim. Presumably all the believers in the world would not be putting faith in something they don't think exists?

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 12-15-2018 at 01:01 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 02:45 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Perhaps you can explain to me how the beliefs and opinions of fallible humans ABOUT God would have ANY impact on the existential and essentially empirical question of God's existence?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Do try and keep up. I am talking about gods, plural. Let me try again.

If experiences are proof of your god, then experiences about other gods must mean they also exist. Which means there must be more than one god. So the claim that there can only be one god must therefore logically be false.

You can refute this by pointing out how experiences are not credible evidence if you wish.
Why on earth would you be talking about plural gods? It seems you have trouble separating the empirical existential question from the descriptive ones. The existence of God is separate from ANY of its descriptive attributes assigned by fallible humans. Your plural gods are figments of fallible human perception and imagination. There is only one reality and one God establishing it.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:02 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
Quote:
Why on earth would you be talking about plural gods? It seems you have trouble separating the empirical existential question from the descriptive ones. The existence of God is separate from ANY of its descriptive attributes assigned by fallible humans. Your plural gods are figments of fallible human perception and imagination. There is only one reality and one God establishing it.
But not every person believes in God. Some people believe in Zeus. If your feelings about God prove that God is real, then it follows that other people's feelings about Zeus prove Zeus is real. The same is true of every other deity which any person has ever believed in.

Or, your feelings about God do not prove God is real.

One of those statements is true; take your pick.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Quote:
Perhaps you can explain to me how the beliefs and opinions of fallible humans ABOUT God would have ANY impact on the existential and essentially empirical question of God's existence?????
You mean "God(s)" no? Nothing stopping an eternal God from allowing another (others), and not talking to humans about it, but some humans getting almost lucky with their guesses might also happen.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:42 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Quote:
Interesting!

So if a “CLAIM” that “God exists” is NOT made then there is no more Atheism left in the world?

And instead of making a “CLAIM” if all believers in the world say, “I have faith in God” then no claim is made again - and hence that should lead to the the death of Atheism?
There would be as much "Atheism" left as "non-golfing" or "anti-golfing" ideas or "non-stamp-collecting" ideas etc if there was no golfing or stamp-collecting.

If one says "There is an FSM for sure!" or "There is no FSM for sure!" then two claims are made which are basically unfalsifiable, given that the FSM is mysterious, so it seems like it mysteriously hides from humans.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Interesting!

no, because we will just answer "we have faith that your god doesn't exist." or in my case, saying that "you just are misunderstanding the universe around you."

then you guys will call us atheists.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:04 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
But not every person believes in God. Some people believe in Zeus. If your feelings about God prove that God is real, then it follows that other people's feelings about Zeus prove Zeus is real. The same is true of every other deity which any person has ever believed in.
Or, your feelings about God do not prove God is real.
One of those statements is true; take your pick.
Nonsense. It is just as silly as positing multiple universes despite the fact that we only have evidence of ONE. We only have evidence of one reality so we only can posit ONE God as the basis for it. What names fallible humans ascribe to God are irrelevant to God's existence.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:35 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Nonsense. It is just as silly as positing multiple universes despite the fact that we only have evidence of ONE. We only have evidence of one reality so we only can posit ONE God as the basis for it. What names fallible humans ascribe to God are irrelevant to God's existence.
well, we would have to define this god of yours. the reality of the situation is that we have evil, so we would kind of have to address the TRUE traits of this grape god of yours.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:37 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
Quote:
Who says? Plenty of religious beliefs involve multiple gods and one universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality