Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's just like stupid Flying Spaghetti Monster argument. Who would believe in such a thing? The atheist seems to have no valid argument.
Exactly. There is no proof whatsoever that His Noodliness exists. We just take it on fairh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
There must be something to your belly button claim since there are billions of people in the world who share your belief.

Not.

Do you get how ridiculous those kind of atheist arguments are now? Yet I hear them all the time in this forum.
Then you missed the point, which was that ANY claim deserves to be supported (by at least a modicum of evidence), if the person making the claim expects others to accept it as something more than personal navel gazing.

The product of my personal navel gazing (i.e., belly button lint) was intentionally ridiculous, because that is where we end up if unsupported claims stand unchallenged. Don't look now but, despite the billions of people sharing your belief, there is precisely as much evidence supporting it as there is supporting my belly button hypothesis. Zilch, zippo, nada. Citing numbers of people who have allowed themselves to be swept along with an unsupported belief does not constitute evidence or strengthen your argument.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:38 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So you have never exercised faith (not necessarily religious based) in your life?
Others have answered this while I was sleeping but, since it was directed to me, I will add my own thoughts:

I had religious faith early in life, having been raised in the church, until I got old enough to ask questions and think my own thoughts. When I looked behind the curtain and started to realize that "there was no there... there," that was the beginning of the end for unsupported faith.

Outside the religious context, I have "faith" that the bottle of milk in my fridge won't kill me... that my wife will be at home tonight... that my plane flight won't crash... that I can dive in a pool and come up for air... that I can make it down a ski run without breaking my leg... that my children are growing into kind, responsible people... that a meteor is unlikely to fall on my house... and many, many more.

But in EVERY case, there is some evidence to support these beliefs and expectations. None of them are for certain (100% guarantees are not required, as monumentus has patiently explained), and bad things can happen, but I have reason to think the odds are pretty good that those things I just listed will continue to happen. They all happened before, most of them repeatedly, and it is reasonable to expect them to continue. If this expectation counts as "faith," it is different than what I qualified above as "unsupported faith".... by which I mean believing in something you have NEVER seen happen, and for which there is ZERO supporting evidence. That kind of faith I do not exercise in my life.

[And please let's skip the step where you substitute "hope" for faith. That is a different word with a different meaning. I would have a much different view of religion and the religious, if every declaration was preceded by an honest acknowledgment like... "We don't know if any of this is true, and we really don't have any reason to think it is, but we sure HOPE it is!"]

Old 12-13-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
People say they have FAITH that God exist. There is no “claim” in it.

It’s actually YOU who claims that God does not exist - now bring your evidence!
A claim is just a statement.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:58 AM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
He exists because he is what drives all the good acts of faith in this world. An atheist will never once acknowledge all of the good things that have happened to him as a result of other people's faith. It's as if it's an impossible thing for him to do so. He can't do it. Even though the good done by religion outweighs the bad 99 to 1. Therefore atheism is a kind of delusion, from my perspective. It is proof to me that atheism is false.
No. No. No.

Your limited thinking just fell into the Easter Bunny & Santa Claus trap.

Something does not exist because people act as if it existed.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:59 AM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Neither. I'm saying you can't compare a faith shared by billions, with something like the belly button claim which means nothing. Yet atheists make these kind of meaningless statements all the time ad nauseum.
No matter how many people believe something doesn't make it true or real.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
He exists because he is what drives all the good acts of faith in this world. An atheist will never once acknowledge all of the good things that have happened to him as a result of other people's faith. It's as if it's an impossible thing for him to do so. He can't do it. Even though the good done by religion outweighs the bad 99 to 1. Therefore atheism is a kind of delusion, from my perspective. It is proof to me that atheism is false.
How do you know that this is true? What exactly is a "good act of faith"?

How does a person know which good things have happened as a result of other people's faith?

For example, I feel I am incredibly fortunate to have been born at a time and in a place where I am no one's property. Billions of others have not been so incredibly fortunate. Is this good thing which has befallen me the result of other people's faith? And why is it that other people's faith has failed to bestow the same good thing upon billions of others?

How do we determine which good things have been done by religion? Which bad things?

Old 12-13-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No matter how many people believe something doesn't make it true or real.
You mean the Earth isn't flat?

Old 12-13-2018, 11:32 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
There must be something to your belly button claim since there are billions of people in the world who share your belief.

Not.

Do you get how ridiculous those kind of atheist arguments are now? Yet I hear them all the time in this forum.

there are actually two notions that need to be addressed. belief in god and celebrating.

Think of it this way. We atheist are saying a holiday devoted to a god is like a holiday devoted to a belly button. Both are meaningless to us. But I can actually see a belly button. that's pretty important to supporting a claim.

Your god, to me, is just you misunderstanding the connections to the surroundings you have. “memes” are the “idea’s” being expressed by humans and memes are part of the feedback loops that make us humans. That feedback loop is the illusion of “something else”. Those sets of interactions are, to me, incorrectly labeled as god. I kept it simple, but a more in depth look would show it.

Notice I used the word “illusion”. “Delusion” is something not there, but the data shows that to be incorrect. Its an “illusion” in that the interactions of the universe forming you are just something different than “god thingies”.

Now, due to my nature, I am forced to look at “humans” as a whole. Its very clear we celebrate.
Its part of being human. That’s just a fact. So how do we “celebrate” something while having it mean something, at least semi important?

Something like Christmas started as “god” and since moved onto “spirit of giving”. It also has some economic considerations for being useful. So I am in.

But, let me be clear, I do some pretending. Its beneficial in this case … to a degree. I do love the lights.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:02 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post

And I openly say I see no reason at this time to believe the thing you do. More than that I have never said despite your claims.
lol .. what exactly does it mean?

Why are you so scared to admit what you are?

Atheist?
Agnostic?
Believer?

Something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality