Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I can understand why.
Well, at least we're on the same page with one thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 01:10 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You raise an interesting point. It seems you, and many here feel strongly about Christianity being seen in public buildings and in the government.

It seems if that's important to you, your time might be better spent than chasing Christians around on an anonymous internet forum and loudly demanding we defend our faith?

Maybe working in your community on legislation to remove "in God we trust" from the money, and other artifacts of our Judeo/Christian beginnings and majority beliefs?

Like if I believe strongly that most dogs should be spayed and neutered I'd be better served putting together a free spay/neuter clinic at the shelter than chasing breeders around and deriding them on an anonymous dog breeding forum?
The efforts of the atheist community are not one-fold. There are various organizations some of us belong to that cover the local, the national, and the international scenes.

But, you seem to suggest that christians be spayed. We'll consider that.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The efforts of the atheist community are not one-fold. There are various organizations some of us belong to that cover the local, the national, and the international scenes.

But, you seem to suggest that christians be spayed. We'll consider that.
You struggle terribly with analogies, phetaroi. And not understanding what's being said doesn't flatter you.

You wouldn't have been very successful in understanding the parables, either.

Which may explain why you don't understand Christianity.

You know, the whole "ears to hear" thing. And I'll answer ahead the question you're about to ask - no, I'm not saying you're earless.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The funny thing is that atheists are probably accomplishing the exact opposite of what they claim to want to do, the way they come across.
Yes, we know that trumpian ploy well -- take whatever person x says and then claim the concept as your own, just in reverse.

Reading what christians say on this forum has made me evolve into a much more hard-core atheist than I started out to be a couple of years ago. In fact, YOU are as responsible as anyone for that personal transformation.

Last edited by phetaroi; 03-06-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 03-06-2019, 01:15 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
I think in part, he was dog whistling over the Roman Guards and the pharisees, and religious leaders at the time who surely would have killed him even sooner if they could figure out what it was he was saying, exactly. That's also why when challenged, he often answered in the form of a question, getting the questioner to answer so he couldn't be quoted as saying some of the messages he was passing on.

BUT, I think there's more than that. Somewhere in the first half of the book of Mark, and I can't find it right now is a troubling passage about this message of salvation isn't intended to be understood by everyone. And my Bible study class had a really hard time with it. Maybe it will come to me.

And this idea, that some are intended not to perceive and follow is a hard one to swallow. It would be less difficult if there was just a heaven and no hell. Sorry, you didn't listen, you don't get heaven. But it's hard to imagine a hell in that situation where others weren't supposed to hear.
That is a convoluted one. The basics are clear, but the odd mismatch between the locals embracing Jesus in thousands, and Jesus speaking in riddles so that God could make sure they wouldn't listen and be saved - well, i can understand why the idea of predestination was invented.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:20 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, we know trumpian ploy -- take whatever person x says and then claim the concept as your own, just in reverse.

Reading what christians say on this forum has made me evolve into a much more hard-core atheist than I started out to be a couple of years ago. In fact, YOU are as responsible as anyone for that personal transformation.
How large would you estimate the sample size of Christians who post here on this relocation forum/site? < or >10?

Old 03-06-2019, 01:20 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Well, at least we're on the same page with one thing.
Don't dare try to misinterpret that post as agreement with anything you profess
They have trouble with it because they can't explain or defend it

Old 03-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You sound like the enemy.

PLEASE. Stop. Take a breath. Look at yourself in the mirror. Then go back and read what you just wrote.
What he wrote is near perfect.

You peddle superstition. Most religions do.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Don't dare try to misinterpret that post as agreement with anything you profess
They have trouble with it because they can't explain or defend it
You're oddly threatening, old cold. Such that I'm glad we're not sitting here in the same kitchen.

Yes, they have trouble with it because they can't explain and defend it.

See there? We agree.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I'm a devout Christian (the kind that read the New Testament and believes in it) and am fighting for rights for gay people and am firmly in the camp trying to outlaw discrimination. I'm in the trenches trying to better the life of people who are marginalized (and I'm not referring to merely discussing stuff on the internet)....
What does that all mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality