Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 06:15 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
i don't. It just looks to you like that because you have a faith -based conviction that what science knows about the way the 5% reality we do know about (the rest is all 'Unknowns') is somehow invalid and that faith -based speculations and beliefs are somehow better. It only mystifies you and your Ilk because you will not listen to the explanations that I repeatedly make.

Rather it mystifies me why you can't see that you are admitting this fact every time you try to fiddle what 'science knows' to make it support your faith -based beliefs.
yeah yeah yeah.

dude died and rose for our sins

or

obscure science when theist can use it and make atheism harder to sell.

both, blind faith statements, misused by people that are on a crusade to save the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 09:24 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Here is the essence of the skeptic's view of prayer:

"I prayed for a gold brick to materialize in front of me while sitting at my kitchen table. I told God I would give him 5 minutes. I sat there for 10 minutes. Nothing happened. Conclusion: God doesn't exist."

Pure stupidity and childishness.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
i don't. It just looks to you like that because you have a faith-based conviction that what science knows about the way the 5% reality we do know about (the rest is all 'Unknowns') is somehow invalid and that faith-based speculations and beliefs are somehow better. It only mystifies you and your Ilk because you will not listen to the explanations that I repeatedly make.

Rather it mystifies me why you can't see that you are admitting this fact every time you try to fiddle what 'science knows' to make it support your faith-based beliefs.
If you were capable of extrapolating the basic reductionist materialist view into the ongoing revelations in the quantum realm and in the cosmological realm, you would see why it no longer suffices. But, you seem content to stick with it because it satisfies your need for concreteness in your view of the world. It is a pragmatic and fundamentally flawed view.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

"I prayed for a gold brick to materialize in front of me while sitting at my kitchen table. I told God I would give him 5 minutes. I sat there for 10 minutes. Nothing happened. Conclusion: God doesn't exist."

This is foolishness. There are things that many of us have asked for in prayer that were noble and desperately needed. And what did we get? People like you.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:01 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is foolishness. There are things that many of us have asked for in prayer that were noble and desperately needed. And what did we get? People like you.
Everyone despised Jesus too. Not that I'm comparing myself to him.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:04 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Just when you think it all couldn’t possibly get any more ridiculous.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:22 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
You're wrong. Despising you is not what I feel at all.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:00 AM

16,782 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:

Here is the essence of an Ozzy post.

Invent a stupid example, then use that to attack atheism.

Pure stupidity and dishonesty.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
So the Christians tell us. apparently because a prophecy says that should be the case. But doesn't the Bible say that he was admired and listened to and large crowds listed to him with delight (Mark)?

If you want to find people who are despised, (at least by USA Christians), consider the bad rap atheists get.
Quote:

Yes, your strawman argument is stupid and childish.

The actual argument is that prayer is not validated to produce any effect that is clearly beyond anything that we might expect if prayer didn't work.

Further, Christianity knows that it doesn't work as they constantly have to find excuses as to why it doesn't. 'God thinks you shouldm't have it', 'Maybe later', 'That's not what prayer is about'. Anything to excuse that they know it doesn't deliver.

Finally, the Bible is specific about prayers being answered. It is not true because if it was you could pray a gold brick into existence. Excuse it and write your own scriptural footnotes as much as you like - the Bible's been pretty much re-written to say something else, after all - but you still won't get what the Bible says in clear scripture prayer (with just a mustard grain of faith - Luke) will get you.

Don't blame the skeptics - blame the Bible.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:22 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you were capable of extrapolating the basic reductionist materialist view into the ongoing revelations in the quantum realm and in the cosmological realm, you would see why it no longer suffices. But, you seem content to stick with it because it satisfies your need for concreteness in your view of the world. It is a pragmatic and fundamentally flawed view.
No. You have it back to front. I extrapolate nothing. I claim nothing. That's why I don't 'believe' in anything extrapolated until science validates it.

Either you do extrapolate (and deny it when your 'science' gets shown up as wrong - save it, the posters have seen two examples AND your repeat of them AND the denial that you were wrong) or you don't in which case, you should be maning no more of a claim than me - no claim at all. In fact you assert many things, apparently on Faith, and then try to excuse yourself from validating any of it by claiming that an 'opinion' is not a claim.

Yet again, you are bamboozling nobody. Inflated persiflage notwithstanding.."extrapolating the basic reductionist materialist view into the ongoing revelations in the quantum realm" indeed

Translated it means' "Quantum" used as a smokescreen for faith -claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality