Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 03:30 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Are you sure you guys aren't the ones belittling terms like "magical" and "loving" though?

Add insult to injury and we find anti-agnostic fundamentalism.
That's another atheistic sect that Arach can add to his list.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:42 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
How many times do we have to go over that? Mosaic law was ONLY applicable temporary for the Israelites. Jesus made it null and void. If you study the Bible, you will find that it is actually anti-slavery.
He made it null and void while saying ALL the OT laws should be kept until the end of times, until the universe is no more?

And why would a god need to make the laws temporary?

Old 04-03-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
I don't care if you listen to me or not. It just demonstrates intellectual dishonesty to continue to trot out the slavery card again.
More irony and hypocrisy from you. It demonstrates intellectual dishonesty to ignore the slavery in the Bible.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
What else should I expect when I deal with an audience that can NEVER EVER admit that they are wrong about ANYTHING. The arrogance is extreme.
More dishonesty from you. I have admitted when I have been wrong, and have seen others do this as well.

You are arrogantly pretending you are correct, but only by ignoring the explanation of the evidence that you provided. Post 142 for example.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 04-03-2019 at 03:55 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
He said it tongue in cheek because right after stating that (in Matthew 5:18) He proceeded to change how it was understood SIX times!!!
Were they changes or were they additions?

And was it tongue in cheek when he said "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The point is that we cannot bring 750 BCE to 90 CE culture and morality into our lives and neither can we read it back into theirs.
If only your god had thought about putting our morality into the culture of almost 3,000 years ago.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:58 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Quote:
Suicide rates are lower in religious countries than in secular ones
I doubt you read your own link as it suggests quite strongly there is no reasons at this point to think that is true because of religion - or that there actually is less suicides just less suicide _rates_.

The first thing the link notes for example - quite honestly I have to say - is that one of the reason for lower _rates_ rather than actual lower suicides - is under-reporting due to religious stigma around suicide.

Even when it speculates - and speculation is all this link offers for your case I am afraid - that religion "may" have anything to do with it at all - it suggests that it might actually have nothing to do with religion in and of itself and everything to do with mere social inclusion. Something we _already know_ is a positive predictor of improves reduction of suicide incidents. A fact born out given your link also acknowledges that it appeared to have zero impact at all _which_ religion they were a member of. Which suggests any benefit - even if real rather than just correlation - likely has nothing to do with what a given religion actually teaches.

All that said however the major major major hole in these studies is how it measures religiosity in the first place. For example your link centres around "religious committent". Others centre around attendance to religious events and ceremonies or mass.

The problem here is that automatically skews the results in favor of religion. Why? Because depression is a predictor of not being social - not attending public and social events - and not being a participant. So by selecting the people who _are doing_ those things - you are automatically selecting for the least depressed and least likely to choose suicide group of potential victims.

The problem being we can not asses the religiosity of the people who therefore are home-bound by their depression and the results are therefore not useful.

Further as your link - again quite honestly - acknowledges they only asses the religiosity of the person in the present not in the past. And their not being religious can be _ a result of _ their depression - not a factor in it. They say themselves "Therefore, it is possible that depressed patients who stated that they were atheists or had no religion had abandoned religion as a consequence of depression or hopelessness."

That is not to say that such studies are 100% useless or inform us of nothing. They are valuable documents and valuable results. They just do not support the narrative you are selling about atheists.

Quote:
You use terms like "magical" to belittle our beliefs. Even from a logical perspective, if you followed the teachings in the Bible, a vast majority of our social problems and suffering would be wiped out.
If we all followed the teaching of the Third Reich the same would be true. If we hammer diversity out of our society and all follow one set of Dogmas - many social ills and suffering would fall away. This is not unique to Christianity by _any means_.

The problem is there is no good argument for attaining that goal by paying that price.

Further though - there is no useful teaching in the Bible that we could not simply distil out and incorporate into a modern and beneficial world view. I have done it myself. Much of the teachings of the Bible and the Jesus character are not even his own originals either - many things like the Golden Rule predate him by sometime.

And certainly there is no beneficial teaching in the Bible that requires you to believe Jesus existed - he had magical powers - his daddy was a god - or in fact there was or is a god in the first place. All of that is merely filler and white noise nonsense. Not one actually useful teaching in the Bible requires you subscribe to superstitious magical teaching and nonsense in order to benefit from, or learn from.

So when you say "There is freedom in following Christ" I would change that to "There is freedom in considering Christ's teachings along side all of humanities other moral thinkers and to learn from them all - distil out the useful - and discard the nonsense."

There is no freedom in imagining that one character in our human history was somehow perfect or had everything on the money. That was fundamentalism and limitations lie. Neither of which we require.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:29 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
How many times do we have to go over that? Mosaic law was ONLY applicable temporary for the Israelites. Jesus made it null and void. If you study the Bible, you will find that it is actually anti-slavery.
Jeff, why didn’t omnigod say/inspire the scriptures to say, I’m making up some rules for the mosaic era but these rules are “temporary “ and the new rules will be ....... after omnigod *changes* its mind.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
...and if you study the Bible you would know that your Jesus didn't make any laws 'null and void'. The 'Laws', refer to the 613 Mitzvot laws. They only apply to Jews and of those 613 laws, your man-god said.... "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

For Jews, the laws have not changed, nor will they until the end of time.

It always amazes me why Christians keep claiming that their man god released them from laws that never applied to them anyway. It's quite alright Christians. You can eat as many shellfish as you like. You always could!

Old 04-03-2019, 06:28 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Ok, let me punch a big hole in that one. I have a friend who lives in Saudi Arabia. He loves it there and enjoys a high standard of living including free meals and laundry service at his employer compound. The people there are very friendly and laid back. Zero crime. No homeless population or litter. The cities have all the modern conveniences including chains like Starbucks. Most people there just want to work and provide for their families. Yet it is one of the most religious countries in the world with society observing prayer times throughout the day. Israel is another country I would love to live in and it has holy sites for the world's three major religions. South Korea has a strong Christian population and it is a good country as well.
There ya go Jeff. Here's a religious country for you...

Brunei is enacting strict new Islamic laws that make gay sex and adultery punishable by stoning to death
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/03/a...ntl/index.html

Do you think that's better than a secular country? I'm sure you'd like to drag us back to that type of law but the rest of will resist you.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:53 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Jesus taught how to beat slaves. Paul taught that women were less than women. And Jesus said, not one jot or tittle was changed from the OT.. Remember that part? If you study the bible, you know.
Jesus only spoke of the institution in the form of a parable. This was in no way an approval of the cultural institution.

Also Jesus said not jot would change until all was fulfilled. Funny how your side always leaves out that part. He fulfilled it when He died on the cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality