Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2020, 01:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That still doesn't answer the question.

Why does it have to be either/or.
phet, retype what I posted very slowly. Key in on the last sentence ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 01:42 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
actually what I said was lets compare them.

what is a more reasonable line of logic when struggling with an unknown. talk to others or just assume we all can do it on our own.

you and gab actually avoided talking about the two claims because you know where it ends up.
I am questioning how often you simply declare yourself "right". It doesn't work for you anymore than it is working for Donald.

Remember what you said earlier: "Stick with the facts".

I do, by the way, appreciate the effort you are making to be more congenial in your postings. It's made a big difference to the conversations on the board. Thank you.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
phet, retype what I posted very slowly. Key in on the last sentence ...
I don't know if you can't answer the question, or you don't want to answer the question, but just never mind. It's oaky.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
That didn't answer the questions I asked at all.

Start with this one: What "space and resources" does it take for a person to personally contemplate their own path?

The second question was: "Reality check"? As in one of the established religions? Why do individuals on a personal journey need to hide anything from anybody?
we have 100 million people on the east coast. Enough space that you can go do what you want and not rely on one cent from others to pay for you.

The second one I answered. I go to everybody.

And I asked you a question to which you asked me one back ... hey, just like you rail on Iwas for doing.

I asked, what is a more sound way to form a belief about an unknown?

individually or with others? generally speaking?

Old 11-18-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I don't know if you can't answer the question, or you don't want to answer the question, but just never mind. It's oaky.
retype the last sentence as it appears in my post phet.

or, simply say. "oh, I missed that part."

Old 11-18-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I am questioning how often you simply declare yourself "right". It doesn't work for you anymore than it is working for Donald.

Remember what you said earlier: "Stick with the facts".

I do, by the way, appreciate the effort you are making to be more congenial in your postings. It's made a big difference to the conversations on the board. Thank you.
you simply are going off what is said and making it about how you feel.

Gabfest and I were talking about The topic of individually or bounce ideas off other people in struggling with a belief.

its so not close phet, you had change it to about me and what you don't like about me.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
we have 100 million people on the east coast. Enough space that you can go do what you want and not rely on one cent from others to pay for you.

The second one I answered. I go to everybody.

And I asked you a question to which you asked me one back ... hey, just like you rail on Iwas for doing.

I asked, what is a more sound way to form a belief about an unknown?

individually or with others? generally speaking?
Let's think about the question. You are talking about "Enough space that you can go do what you want and not rely on one cent from others to pay for you". But I asked specifically about resources required for CONTEMPLATION. I can contemplate things sitting right in this chair in my office. Laying in bed. Sitting out in a lawn chair. You were talking about public resources required for contemplation.

Please stop trying to move the goal posts.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Let's think about the question. You are talking about "Enough space that you can go do what you want and not rely on one cent from others to pay for you". But I asked specifically about resources required for CONTEMPLATION. I can contemplate things sitting right in this chair in my office. Laying in bed. Sitting out in a lawn chair. You were talking about public resources required for contemplation.

Please stop trying to move the goal posts.
In fact, you moved the goal post ... With "contemplating", that is a different topic. That is part of the process.

But, because I am not worried about how theist will use it and not selling Buddhism, I can use your word ...

what I said was

In terms of struggling with a belief, is it more reliable to say "People on their own generally contemplate the more reliable beliefs by themselves" or is it more reliable to claim "people that "contemplate" using what others have said also tend to come up with more reliable claims."

generally speaking phet. individually or with others?
add any others for "contemplation". Like the term balance.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 11-18-2020 at 02:43 PM..

Old 11-18-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
In fact, you moved the goal post ... With "contemplating", that is a different topic. That is part of the process.

But, because I am not worried about how theist will use it and not selling Buddhism, I can use your word ...

what I said was

In terms of struggling with a belief, is it more reliable to say "People on their own generally contemplate the more reliable beliefs by themselves" or is it more reliable to claim "people that "contemplate" using what others have said also tend to come up with more reliable claims."

generally speaking phet. individually or with others?
add any others for "contemplation". Like the term balance.
No Arach. Your statement I questioned was: "We just don't have the space and resources to allow people to think and believe whatever they want". I want to know what space and resources are needed to allow people to think and believe. I don't want to know about all your other thoughts. I want to know about THAT sentence.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
No Arach. Your statement I questioned was: "We just don't have the space and resources to allow people to think and believe whatever they want". I want to know what space and resources are needed to allow people to think and believe. I don't want to know about all your other thoughts. I want to know about THAT sentence.
lets solve the main point then we can apply it to your specific example.

my main point is that it is better to solve problems together than it is on our own.

generally speaking, is that a sound method (more sound than all by oneself) for tackling struggling with religious belief?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality